Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078, 1995 M1079, 1079box for sale !!!
5,857 Posts
Search "snorkle" on this board. Amonst the discussions you will find that the snorkle is NOT for fordging in the overall scheme of things.

Yes you can get water in axles and tranny.... do a net search for:

Fordging depth 404s

(did I spell fordging right?) Or go to the ULITMATE STICKY at the top of this form. Follow that to the DIY/FAQ. There will be some links in there to general info on the 404 that should list the fordging depth too.

·
Registered
1962 Unimog 404
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Search "snorkle" on this board. Amonst the discussions you will find that the snorkle is NOT for fordging in the overall scheme of things.

Yes you can get water in axles and tranny.... do a net search for:

Fordging depth 404s

(did I spell fordging right?) Or go to the ULITMATE STICKY at the top of this form. Follow that to the DIY/FAQ. There will be some links in there to general info on the 404 that should list the fordging depth too.
Oops sorry I didn't spell it right it wrong :)

·
BenzWorld UNIMOG statesman
Unimog 404.1 Diesel (sold :( )1995 LMTV 1078, 1995 M1079, 1079box for sale !!!
5,857 Posts
Oops sorry I didn't spell it right it wrong :)
just checked..... no D its "forging"

Snorkle has a lot to do with getting to the cleanest air (away from dust kicked up by rigs infront of it) especially the TALL ones. It's not all about water forging.

·
Registered
1962 Unimog 404
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just checked..... no D its "forging"

Snorkle has a lot to do with getting to the cleanest air (away from dust kicked up by rigs infront of it) especially the TALL ones. It's not all about water forging.
I understand that, but with the electronics sealed up one would think it was capable of going pretty deep.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
It's good to get your truck wet and all....Start out middle tire depth slow and then do 3/4 then up to the fenders. I've done 4' without a forging kit/raised air intake. As far as the diffs....Just add a tube onto the end and place at a higher location. The later mogs are pressurized to 1 atmosphere...LOL! As far as taking the fan belt off...I didn't bother. For the most part if your up to your bumper then I wouldn't worry it just depends on alot of factors. Of course you will want to regrease/check everything once your done. Check the diffs/portals/tranny level/engine oil and oil bath for any seepage or contamination. Don't try to be a submarine despite the 90degree water in your bathtub! LOL! Most important thing is to be smart. As far as the raised air intake...It's mainly for cleaner air. There is two different caps though. One is just a rain cap and one has a prefilter in it also.

Tip...Check your thermostat pumpkin hoses...Make sure they are pliable. Replace them if they are cracked or hard.

Tip 2...make sure you check your fan bolts are tight and there is oil/fluid in the housing.

Tip 3...Make sure you oil the distributor shaft underneath the moisture proof dist. cap.

Tip 4...A little dielectric grease in the spark plug wires/connections and distributor can help alot if you do find any kind of moisture.

Tip 5...If water is coming in the doors and it goes past your feet...Turn on the bilge pump!
Tip 6....If your going in alone make sure you have a tow strap/winch to pull your mog to Dry Land. If not go with someone who does or has a tow bar to pull you out. The local Unimog distributors can set you up if you don't
Happy Mogging!

·
Registered
1969 Swiss 404 - 1977 Porsche 911 S
148 Posts
Holy crap guys!

It is spelled FORDING and is pronounced just the way it looks.

Forging is a metal working process.

Fordging is not a word.

Carry on.

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
While I don't think it's a good idea to submarine a truck, the snorkel is good insurance in case you hit a ditch and were to go deeper than you had intended. I had my 416 up to the headlights once, I know that as they were full of water. I hit a good dip along the way and would have surely gulped in some water if not for the snorkel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.