Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I think my parking brake cable may have snapped. The pull handle is very loose, and the pedel does not click or stay down when depressed. Is it likely to be the cable or the tab that stops the ratchet. Does anyone have the rundown on how you disconnect the handle end, and the lower end of the cable. Wis indicates a special tool is required?. As usual wis is not very clear and in my copy does not show replacement of this cable. I live on a hill and the weather is bad so its a big problem. Is this the correct part number A1634200985 for a 99 ml
Thanks anyone.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks 43. I guess its not the cable then. I would have had a look only i got home late from work, with the wife saying there is something wrong with the park brake. The weather here is really bad so was looking for some advice before i try and fix it. Any ideas what it could be. The parking brake is under strain, as i have parked it on a steep driveway nearly every night for the last 7 years.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
So as a safeguard against cable failure, as i did suspect. The ratchet would still engage. So could it be a spring that keeps tension on the cable/tab lock on the ratchet. Or the tab itself has bent, or if it is plastic failed. With the result of no ratchet?. Its a really bad time of year for this here. It is going to be an orkward repair whatever it is, so just trying to save a bit of diag time. That diagram is from the later 2002 ml i think. Mine is poss different?. Does spring 8 control springback on park lever?.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,900 Posts
So as a safeguard against cable failure, as i did suspect. The ratchet would still engage. So could it be a spring that keeps tension on the cable/tab lock on the ratchet. Or the tab itself has bent, or if it is plastic failed. With the result of no ratchet?. Its a really bad time of year for this here. It is going to be an orkward repair whatever it is, so just trying to save a bit of diag time. That diagram is from the later 2002 ml i think. Mine is poss different?. Does spring 8 control springback on park lever?.
megadamp, the illustration is for a 98-99 Ml. It could be the spring or the detent (#14) or anything else or a combination of. You are the only one that can determine what is wrong.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Witek and mike's ml and kind of 43 win todays competition of guess whats wrong with my car. IT WAS THE SPRING 26 that had snapped. Like witek said it is gear and tooth arrangement, and the spring holds down the tooth after you pull the park brake lever, which allow it to re-engage on the gear. Thank you all that entered.

·
Registered
2005 ML350
306 Posts
Something in the parking brake mechanism itself has malfunctioned.
My parking brake will not latch when I press on the pedal. I looked at it and it seems either spring number 8 is missing or the mechanism number 14 fails. To be sure I need to remove the whole assembly from the left side kick panel area. Can you help with some diagram or procedure from the shop manual, if you have one.

Thanks

·
Outstanding Contributor
2006 ML500 2002 ML320
17,900 Posts
My parking brake will not latch when I press on the pedal. I looked at it and it seems either spring number 8 is missing or the mechanism number 14 fails. To be sure I need to remove the whole assembly from the left side kick panel area. Can you help with some diagram or procedure from the shop manual, if you have one.

Thanks
Here are the instructions and the part #'s.

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 ML320
2,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It will prob be the spring. There are two types of brake mechanism. A pully notch and a pushed notch. Not sure which one yours is. Try to push the notch back onto the toothed cam when you depress brake. It should hold.
If when you release the brake it stays on the floor its the spring you need.

·
Registered
2005 ML350
306 Posts
Here are the instructions and the part #'s.
Thank you all. You have been extremely nice and helpful. I was able to remove the parking brake control assembly and found out that the torsion spring's lip has slipped off the plastic piece that is attached to the other end of the release cable (item 79 in the diagram). I put it back and everything works fine now.

Again, thanks a million for coming to the rescue. I am very grateful.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.