Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
*** GOT IT OUT, See end Thread ***.

I had a spare key cut at Timpsons about 3 years ago (with chip in) so I had a spare. Then I went to unlock Van & it snapped inside lock. Now half of key is still in the chamber. When I went back to Timpsons to get another cut from master he said 'yeh its cheap metal, happens alot to the Merc keys' as he takes my £30 to cut another !

Anyway, any clues as to how to get it out? Its not magnetic, I've tried bent paper clips & tweezers but I can see the bit of key about 1-2cm in so can't get a grip on it, I even tried my Dyson Vacuum cleaner on the barrel but that didnt work.
I've still got remaining bit of key so wonder if a dab of super glue on end of that, put it in then wait then pull it out might work? But I really don't want to be putting glue in the barrel.

Any ideas greatfully received. I can still get in the Van from button or Drivers side but really want to get it out.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1999 108 Cdi Traveliner, 1999 V220 Cdi, 2003 V220 Cdi
185 Posts
Hello Mate.

Try removing the whole door handle (1 large torx screw just on inside edge of door)

It should then slide out with a bit of jiggling. (The whole thing slides forwards to remove)

Secure the vehicle and retire to somewhere warm.

From behind the handle you should be able to access the cylinder.

Either remove the barrel, if poss, by depressing the lug that retains it or spend a bit of time 'fettling' with a jeweller's screwdriver or needle to work the broken bit out.

It may take some time, but at least you can do it in the comfort of your living room! :cool:

Don't try the glue in the lock method, it's sure to gum up the works & you'll need to buy a new barrel, which means you'll have an odd key to the rest of the vehicle...and if you can get the barrel out in the first place you've done that to get at the busted bit of key in the first place! :rolleyes:

Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Good luck,

Rob

·
Registered
Vito 111CDi 2004
1,109 Posts
Yep.. You can remove the barrel completely and you can also strip it down to the point to get the pins out. Use PTFE spray if you need to use a lube as oil will attract dirt.

If the worst comes to the worst you can always replace the barrel. You can also fit aftermarket central locking if carrying 2 keys makes your brain hurt.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Try duct-taping it to the side of a washing machine, or other vibrating machine...oooo..errrrrr.... with the broken key pointing down and let good vibrations and gravity do their job :)

·
Registered
Vito Dualiner 111 04
43 Posts
Ive used a straightened barbed fishing hook before,as thin as possible.
Otherwise it barrel out time.
Good luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it out

Took handle off (thanks for the instructions) & then bashed it upside down with the flap open until it popped out. See pictures attached.
Thanks for the tips, this website is really useful.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts