Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
MB 300 SL
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 1992 MB 300SL for my wife. The car is in excellent body and interior condition. While at the dealership the car had no noticiable problems but, on the two hour drive home I thought I saw a "puff" of smoke in the rear view mirror. The next day I started the car and sure enough it was not smoke but small carbon particals being blowen out of the exhaust. I have done a oil change, changed all of the spark plugs (The old ones were fouled with carbon) and have added fuel injection cleaner but the problem does not seem to be going away. I am thinking that the car may be running to lean and if so how do I adjust it? When the car is sitting you do not see any carbon coming out until you rev it and then it does not want to rev until it clears a large amount of carbon out of it. My wife compairs it to our cat having hairballs. Any advice as to what to look for would be appreciated.

·
Registered
MB 300 SL
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wanted to add something

I also wanted to add that I am questioning if it is a vacum line since the MPG guage goes from zero to 40+ and does not seem to operate properly. I remember that on my S500 that it worked on the "Fly" as you increased or decresed as this one is one way or the other.

Any Helpfull ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
MB 300 SL
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fixed!!!!

After looking around on line I found another forum and a member had a problem like mine. I found a blowen fuse under a cover in the engine compartment on the passanger side. After replacing the fuse my idle went up to normal, the MPG guage worked and the Carbon Burnt itself away!!!

·
Registered
1991 500SL
19 Posts
Re: Fixed!!!!

After looking around on line I found another forum and a member had a problem like mine. I found a blowen fuse under a cover in the engine compartment on the passanger side. After replacing the fuse my idle went up to normal, the MPG guage worked and the Carbon Burnt itself away!!!
Very interesting thread. You may want to change the plugs again, also what is "blowen"? I think you meant "Blown?"
N

1 - 4 of 4 Posts