Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes 560SEC
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I parked my car this morning after the 5 minute drive to work I noticed white smoke rising from the hood by the windscreen wipers. Not a huge amount but enough to raise concern.
I turned the engine off popped the hood and took a few pics of the area the smoke was rising from. I feel that the smoke smelt oily so I checked the oil (fine) opened the oil cap and there was plenty of oil in there but also some white smoke.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of the cause based off this description or the photos.
I am due a trip to the shop but need to run a couple of errands before if it's not life threatening for my car.

Attachments

·
Registered
1968 gto (sold) , 91 volvo 740, 89 $300TE, 89 560SEC
432 Posts
Oil smell???

Sounds like time for new v/c gaksets. Twenty bucks for the gaskets and crush washers; maybe an hours worth of your time..... May also want to remove and clean the cam oiler tubes. Inspect the timing chain guides while your in there too........

·
Registered
1985 300SD 1988 560SEC 822 1976 450SEL 1981 300SD
1,079 Posts
As I parked my car this morning after the 5 minute drive to work I noticed white smoke rising from the hood by the windscreen wipers. Not a huge amount but enough to raise concern.
I turned the engine off popped the hood and took a few pics of the area the smoke was rising from. I feel that the smoke smelt oily so I checked the oil (fine) opened the oil cap and there was plenty of oil in there but also some white smoke.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of the cause based off this description or the photos.
I am due a trip to the shop but need to run a couple of errands before if it's not life threatening for my car.
Valve cover gasket oil leak I'm thinking...or perhaps a pinhole leak in a coolant hose..

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz 560SEL mod 91,MB 560SEL mod 90
500 Posts
How about your coolant level, is the some loss?
I think the white smoke comes from coolant agent.

·
Registered
92 190E 2.3 SOLD, 91 420SEL, 95 C280
488 Posts
I would suspect a small (for now) leak in your heater hose and the coolant getting onto your exhaust manifold creating the smoke (most likely steam) and the oily smell from the fact that hot water washing old oil from the area and adding that to the drip.

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes 560SEC
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips. I will have it in the shop tomorrow but always good to go in knowing a bit about what's going on.

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes 560SEC
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steering fluid leaking from near the gear box.

I need to take out the gear box and fix the leak also the leaking fluid has mucked up some of the rubber bushings on the left side of the car.

2 quotes so far one $800.00 and one $450.00 both in LA.

·
Registered
1988 560SEC Euro Clone Lorinser Clone
1,572 Posts
let me guess. the $800 quote was further west than the $450 quote :rolleyes:

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
45,165 Posts
Steering fluid leaking from near the gear box.

I need to take out the gear box and fix the leak also the leaking fluid has mucked up some of the rubber bushings on the left side of the car.

2 quotes so far one $800.00 and one $450.00 both in LA.
The forum has plenty of even for non wrencher's doable DIY's. It seems the inner O ring at the power steering tends to go first. If I remember correctly, the atf fluid used in the power steering can drip onto, and quickly kill one motor mount.
Another neglected area are the hoses between the 2 firewalls and the little auxiliary pump (tends to rot out).
Cheers

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes 560SEC
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
let me guess. the $800 quote was further west than the $450 quote :rolleyes:
The less expensive of the 2 quotes was a nice chap called Sehmi from Sehmi Motors.
Nice guy, he knows a lot and actually owns a nice euro 500 sec with the fancy engine, that he was telling me moved like shit of a shovel, to coin a phrase.
The more expensive quote was definitely more westerly.

·
Registered
1989 Mercedes 560SEC
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The forum has plenty of even for non wrencher's doable DIY's. It seems the inner O ring at the power steering tends to go first. If I remember correctly, the atf fluid used in the power steering can drip onto, and quickly kill one motor mount.
Another neglected area are the hoses between the 2 firewalls and the little auxiliary pump (tends to rot out).
Cheers
Thanks of the tip I'll read up. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts