Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with smoking or tinting r170 tail lights? Playing with smoking the entire tail light vs just the red and leaving the white unsmoked. I was just curious if anyone has any pics of something like this. I have a few sets of unusable recall tail lights that I was planning on experimenting with..
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
21 Posts
Reversible...

I was thinking about doing this too but I don't want to do it and then have to buy new tail lights if I don't like it in 6 months. From what I have gathered, most people use some kind of tinting spray that will not be reversible. But I did find a decal company, decalfx.com, that sells an adhesive tint that you can apply like you do on your windows. I don't know if anyone has tried but you may be able to use any window tint. Keep us posted and if I ever get around to ordering the tint from the site I mentioned I'll post a picture.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I may be in the minority but I do not like the smoked tail light look. Others have posted pictures in the past.

The best looking smoked tail lights I have seen is when just the white part is smoked - and not too dark.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I tend not to do mods to my car that may kill me at some point, So not a fan of smoked brake light thing !

When I put my foot on the brake I want the peeps behind to see it, ALOT !!

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have smoke tails.... got them professionally done by my shop here in miami, almost black when off and the red is seen clearly when the lights are on and when i stop... I have no pictures right now but I will post as soon as I can..

If your gonna do them, get them done by a reputable shop with experience in doing them.... DIY smoke tails never look as good imo. i dunno why...

·
Registered
742 Posts
I also am NOT a fan of smoked tail lights. A couple of months ago, on a sunny day, I was driving back from Va, and following a Mustang for awhile. We were kinda going the same pace, and he keep changing lanes in front of me, in and out of my lane. I was starting to give him space, because I thought that his brake lights were not working, and he was not using his turn signals. When the sun went down, I took of my sunglasses, and the next time I was behind him, I saw his brake lights. AND then I realized that with my sunglasses I could not see his lights AT ALL with the smoked lenses. btw....I was driving our Sienna coming back to PA from VA, and not the SLK, OR
I would have been way ahead of him...:)...

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I also am NOT a fan of smoked tail lights. A couple of months ago, on a sunny day, I was driving back from Va, and following a Mustang for awhile. We were kinda going the same pace, and he keep changing lanes in front of me, in and out of my lane. I was starting to give him space, because I thought that his brake lights were not working, and he was not using his turn signals. When the sun went down, I took of my sunglasses, and the next time I was behind him, I saw his brake lights. AND then I realized that with my sunglasses I could not see his lights AT ALL with the smoked lenses. btw....I was driving our Sienna coming back to PA from VA, and not the SLK, OR
I would have been way ahead of him...:)...
thats exactly what happens when you get the "ghetto" tint........ ill do a little video clip of mine so you may see how the light is a 100% visible like when they are not tinted... it really is amazing :D

·
Registered
72 Posts
My attempt

Only a junoir member, both here and in the whole owning a Mercedes experience, but i recently tinted my tail lights with a vinyl cover. Ordered through Sticker City:

STICKERCITY.COM

You can get specific kits, however I ordered the sheet, and cut to size.

I haver attached pictures, and hopefully everyone doesnt pick on the chrome surrounds I have placed around the outside, I have read some harsh posts...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
OMG WTF are those silly stick on crome things round your lights !!

J/K :D

They look good, Both the lights and the trims suit your silver car. And the tint is very light, So does not look rice.

Come on now dont be shy, post some more photos of your car.

And dont be in fear to post, No one here is ogre, Think of it as a family, Sometime brothers and sisters are gona disagree, And throw some toys round, Then the dad BRUCE comes in and slaps some wrists, And tell you to play nice.

And as in any family, you have a few CRAZY cousins, And GRUMPY uncles.:D

·
Registered
288 Posts
OMG WTF are those silly stick on crome things round your lights !!

J/K :D

They look good, Both the lights and the trims suit your silver car. And the tint is very light, So does not look rice.

Come on now dont be shy, post some more photos of your car.

And dont be in fear to post, No one here is ogre, Think of it as a family, Sometime brothers and sisters are gona disagree, And throw some toys round, Then the dad BRUCE comes in and slaps some wrists, And tell you to play nice.

And as in any family, you have a few CRAZY cousins, And GRUMPY uncles.:D
Well said papa.... WELL said...

I like the film, but I am guessing you had to buy the universal kit?

I am on the fence about it. Not a fan of the surrounds, but to each their own.

Nice ride!

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Normally I would hate it, but that combo works nice on your car.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Come on whatever happen to your pictures, guy with red slk(sorry I dont remember your name, it in the last page)

Anyone else have tinted/smoked out lights? PICTURES!

I was thinking I should do it BECAUSE, I have new and an old faded out taillights and it looks funky so I thought instead of paying 50-80 bucks, I might as well get them smoked out and match them but I have never seen smoked out slk's taillights so I dunno if they look good. My gfs father has a body shop so I should get a deal around 50-80 bucks anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Come on whatever happen to your pictures, guy with red slk(sorry I dont remember your name, it in the last page)

Anyone else have tinted/smoked out lights? PICTURES!

I was thinking I should do it BECAUSE, I have new and an old faded out taillights and it looks funky so I thought instead of paying 50-80 bucks, I might as well get them smoked out and match them but I have never seen smoked out slk's taillights so I dunno if they look good. My gfs father has a body shop so I should get a deal around 50-80 bucks anyway.

I see SLK32 and the AMG badge but a single tail pipe. PLEASE don't tell me you badged your car a 32 if it is not. OJ pulled off the best complete tint job but I agree with Papa and 430. If anything I will tint the clear portion but want no part of getting rear ended becasue no one could see my brake lights. Safety 1st means for all of my fellow drivers out there!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Silly blackened tail lights are so utterly rice.

But people who apply SLK32 AMG badges to other SLKs are beneath contempt. Why not just stick a SLR badge on and be done with it?

Declaring that your vehicle is something which it is not is a very puerile thing to do.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Nick,

When the SL65 1st came out one of the local dealers here was selling it with the clear portions of the tail lights smoke out. I do not know if it was ordered that way but each time I go to a dealer here there are always high priced rides with the same thing from the dealer. I agree, not my cup of tea!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Interesting how you smoked the red. I usually see only the white pieces tinted or the whole unit blacked out on black cars. Cool that its removable. I like smoked, but I'd keep red for more of a factory look.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts