Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 SL500 - White. I am going to buy the updated 07 tail lights. Here's my question.

Should I buy:

1. the red w/clear in the center
2. the red w/smoke in the center and a smoked third brake light

I can't decide which would look better. All opinions/comments welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Wow. 35 views and no one has an opinion? This makes me miss the R129 forum.
Hey dallas, we miss you too. :)

Stay with the clear lenses. Its always better to keep it real rather than pose as an sl55.
my 2 cents

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
go with the smoked amg ones for sure. i did on my white 05' and it looks smooth.
Hey gq, thanks for the response. Do you have any pics you could share? I would really like to see some clear pictures of what they look like on a white car.

Hey dallas, we miss you too. :)

Stay with the clear lenses. Its always better to keep it real rather than pose as an sl55.
my 2 cents
Hi Tech. Long time no see man!

I'm just concerned with which way will be the most aesthetically pleasing. I don't want to try to fake anyone into thinking it's an SL55. I just want it to look as good as possible and personalize it a little.

I'm leaning toward the smoked ones just because I can also do the smoked third brake light and so far I haven't been able to find a clear third brake light.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. I ordered the smoked ones and I'm going to pick up the smoked 3rd brake light tomorrow.

Now for the next question. I have instructions for installing the new tail lights. How do I install the 3rd brake light?

·
Registered
290 Posts
i wish i had the answer for you. im a do it yourself guy and i installed the tail lights myself but when i upgraded my front bumper i had the shop install the third brake light since i bought it after the tail lights.

but i cant imagine its too hard once you remove the interior trunk covers there's 2 clamps that hold the light to the trunk. the old light slides out from the outside. ( i know this from just seeing the new light before they put it in). im sure if you can do the tail lights this wont be a problem

·
Registered
10 Posts
For any of you who have removed/replaced the center brake light -- how hard is it to get out, and do you know if removing the light gives you access to the top rear edge of the inner trunklid? I have a small ding on the rear face of the trunklid, about 2 inches from the top, and the dent wizard guy couldn't get to it by removing the trunk liner. He though maybe he could reach it from the center brake light hole. Any insight appreciated!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts