Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to sound like a punk kid (I am 44 y/o) but wanted to tell you all that I smoked a punk civic tonight on IL-12. I was cruising at the speed limit and this guy was not happy about that. He was driving right behind me with the gap of about 20 feet. I do not like it when people do that so I pulled to the right lane and led him go. Unfortunately, the traffic lights turned to red so we had to stop... He looked at me while revving his engine "puhhh puhhh" Sorry mate, it did not sound attractive... I looked at him and winked ^o- . I changed into the man mode, the lights turned to blue and I floored the gas pedal. I never saw him again....

This car is QUICK!!! It felt like much much quicker than my previous car, E46 M3. In fact, when I upshifted to the 2nd gear, my head was smashed against the head rest and it hurt my neck. This transmission has two different faces. When the gap pedal is floored quickly, the transmission reacts much much quicker and there is no more mushy feeling.

I love this car!! Well done, AMG!

·
Registered
'06 SLK55
831 Posts
I feel my car is pretty damn quick. After reading Car and Driver, I can only imagine the speed of the AMG. Feels good huh?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would be ticked off too if I were behind you. Driving the limit in the fast lane! You should have been in the right lane to begin with. The left lane is a PASSING lane. Very typical for the states. Driving along in the fast lane doing 55 without a care in the world. God I hate that too. Get a clue!
Try that in Europe and see what happens. Lucking it
wasn't me behind you in my truck. I have great solution for guys like you. You look back and all you see is my drive line and feel the heat my off road lights warming the back of your empty head. I either pass you or you might actually get a clue and move into the proper lane. If I have to pass you I have another treat for you if you still want to put along in the fast lane grampa. I slow up an let you push me for a bit. Then up shift to 6th and nail the gas and let it lug the big Cummins (highly moded). You will be eating so much Black Smoke you will slow and move into the proper lane of pass out. Just like give a driving leason once in a while. Usually they are too dumb to even know they are driving in the wrong lane and the Grand Marshall of the parade stacked upped behind them but I feel a lot better. I get lots of thumbs up from other after the Smoke Show. Love the truck for that one. In the SLK I just have to wait for my chance to pass. Truck makes it much more fun.

[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
ML500, SLK55 AMG
258 Posts
xJagman - 5/8/2005 11:54 AM

I would be ticked off too if I were behind you. Driving the limit in the fast lane! You should have been in the right lane to begin with. The left lane is a PASSING lane. Very typical for the states. Driving along in the fast lane doing 55 without a care in the world. God I hate that too. Get a clue!
wasn't me behind you in my truck. I have great solution for guys like you. You look back and all you see is my drive line and feel the heat my off road lights warming the back of your empty head. I either pass you or you might actually get a clue and move into the proper lane. If I have to pass you I have another treat for you if you still want to put along in the fast lane grampa. I slow up an let you push me for a bit. Then up shift to 6th and nail the gas and let it lug the big Cummins (highly moded). You will be eating so much Black Smoke you will slow and move into the proper lane of pass out. Just like give a driving leason once in a while. Usually they are too dumb to even know they are driving in the wrong lane and the Grand Marshall of the parade stacked upped behind them but I feel a lot better. I get lots of thumbs up from other after the Smoke Show. Love the truck for that one. In the SLK I just have to wait for my chance to pass. Truck makes it much more fun.

Sounds like someone needs their Prozac dose increased. Road rage is a serious problem.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
xJagman - 5/8/2005 10:54 AM

Thanks, I should get a truck.

Well, the speed limit was 45mph and I had some other cars (yup, granmas and grampas) in front of me going at 45 in both lanes. So, I was not the one that was blocking the fast lane. However, I would go over the limit much even in the fast lane in this area as cops everywhere.

I know the driving habit in Europe coz I have spent six years over there. Thanks for reminding me of those fun driving days[:D]

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
jlangmd - 5/8/2005 11:10 AM

xJagman - 5/8/2005 11:54 AM

Sounds like someone needs their Prozac dose increased. Road rage is a serious problem.
Seriously.

xJagman, have you taken your medication? IL-12 is a local road. I have driven it many times. It doesn't have a fast lane. What it does have is many intersections, and is largely surrounding a residential area where the speed limit is 45 or less. You need to stop reading too much into posts and making foolish assumptions before tearing into other forum members. Get a clue you say? Nowhere in MKM3's post did he say he was on the highway on the fast lane. Seems like you're the one who needs to get a clue. Happy mothers day... don't get your panties in a bunch.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not a matter of road rage at all. In fact im smiling the whole time:)Its more a matter of driving education. The state I live is very bad for left lane hangers. Traffic would flow 30% better if people knew how to drive. Instead everyone goes to the fast lane and stays there till they do the 4 lane jump to there exit. The right lane is now the fast lane in many of the highway sections. I drive a lot and now the traffic patterns very well. Its the same thing day after day. I am amazed that I see the same cars every day backed upped in the fast lane as the right lane is flowing. Like they are in a trance.
A buddy moved to S Cal a few years ago. After 2 months he had all these great roads and short cuts through the hills and the roads were totally empty while the highways were grid locked. No one looks at a map anymore to find an alternative route. We had a blast tearing up the roads and cut hours from a normal grid lock commute. The masses just get on the freeways and take the same grid locked route everyday never venturing off the less travel path. I guess the are like herd animals and feel safer in numbers. I travel to much to get all worked up with road rage. I have now taken to increasing driver awareness one car at a time. They might get all worked up but im smiling and laughing the whole time.
When I first got the mods done to my truck I was watching a lady passing people on the shoulder and you could see was very agressive. The traffic was pretty much grid locked and a heavy merge point. She tried to get around me by passing in the area between the merging lanes. The area with solid white line seperating the merging areas. I pulled up close to the car in front and held here off which really pissed her off. She flipped me off and was trying to push her way in. With a 6" lift and 37" tires my rig is a bit intimidating to be pushed around. She almost ran under my tires. She ended up having to wait and was right next to me (inches) and not in a traffic lane. Since she now had to wait for me to move to get back on the road I let the traffic clear in front of me. Slipped the rig into 4th and nailed it. Being inches from my exhaust was not good for her with her window down. Black Smoke poured from the exhaust and filler her car. She had to stick her head out of the window. They guy in the ford truck next to me was rolling and giving me the thumbs up. She was flipping me off and honking. Problem was I didn't see the highway patrol car tucked in behind and overpass support just ahead, he saw the whole thing. As I left off the smoke show and rolled past I saw him laughing and smiling. He then pulled out and pulled the coughing lady over. LOL that was a good day. Makes the commute so much more fun. I have been pulled over once for the smoke show by a city cop. He wanted to see my smog cert. for my truck. I leave in a rural area on an island and no smog cert. is required since im exempt. Little things can sometimes make your day.

·
Registered
ML500, SLK55 AMG
258 Posts
Keep right except to pass. Words to live by. If everyone did this the world would be a better and less frustrating one.

What we do not need in addition to people who think they are more important than anyone else, and that the passing lane is made for them only is men in giant trucks cowardly bullying others on the road.

It is a matter of astounding arrogance that anyone thinks they are justified in giving "driving lessons" to anyone else on the road through intimidation. This is just one more example of dangerous driving. This type of roadway menace is typically enacted by individuals whose opinions of their own driving skills falls far below that of other observers. One slip or miscalculation, and there is harm, either financial, psychological or physical.

My wife with 4 children in her van has been a victim of this sort of harrassment, probably because she doesn't speed at all. Even in the right hand lane there is always someone with a big truck who seeks to intimidate others, place other's lives in danger, and for what reason?

Please stop trying to justify this behaviour. Road rage is road rage, no matter your facial expression.

·
Registered
237 Posts
When someone is passing on the shoulder and not on the road they are in the wrong and illegal. This was all at 2 MPH so I don't believe anyone life was in danger. The Police officer didn't seem to have a problem. The problem in the states is too many people have a DL that shouldn't. For a person who travels for a living I see it all on the road. The states should make it harder to get a DL like Europe and make travel safer for all. I don't tailgate or intimidate others on the road. As far as big trucks and truckers. I have never had a problem with a them.
These are professional drivers who make a living on the road. Why would they risk there lifes. As a person who often tows heavy loads I see people in cars do stupid things all the time. Like your doing 65MPH with a heavy load and people will pull in front of you to make an exit from the fast lane of course. Then they say the big truck is tailgating them or pushing them. Fact is with all that weight pushing you can not slow and stop like a car but cars expect you too. Just stupid drivers with out a clue. Use the lanes properly, use your signals and your brain and we all will be a lot safer.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Well, I don't always behave as nicely as I might on the road myself, and I do have, as a professional consultant, a strong desire to teach everyone everything.

On the other hand, on a given day, someone teachimg my little tiny car a lesson with his big bad truck would make me want to fire a metal jacket round right through the block of his big *ss motor.

Fortunately for me, since I don't want to room with someone named Bubba who calls me "Honey", I don't carry a weapon. And I try to remember that, in this shall-issue state, there are a lot of nuts out there who do.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OMG... this thread is getting really long. I'd never had so many responses to my thread in the past!

Kind of my fault.. I should think twice from now on before I post threads. Let's keep this forum "flame free"[:)]

It was a gorgeous Mother's day here. I enjoyed a short cross country flight this afternoon. Thank God, there was no air rage[:D]

Have a great week!!

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
xJagman - 5/8/2005 12:42 PM

Not a matter of road rage at all. In fact im smiling the whole time:)Its more a matter of driving education. The state I live is very bad for left lane hangers. Traffic would flow 30% better if people knew how to drive. Instead everyone goes to the fast lane and stays there till they do the 4 lane jump to there exit. .
Exit? Fast lane? Pleased re-read the post. This is LI-12 but it is not a freeway!

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
Nice kill Snowball, probably a little overkill on the Civic (362hp vs. 120hp) but you probably reduced his manhood to the size of a raisin. Yeah being a former riced-out Civic driver myself (I didn't go around revving on anything over 180hp, not stupid), now that I've grown up and driving the SLK those little rice rockets are so fun to smoke. I actually had a little civic si rev on me at a freeway entrance (with 2 lanes and they merge after 1/4 mile). He actually activated his nitrous on me and I was scared for a second when I was 10 car lengths ahead of him and he pulled to within 2. I dropped it into 3rd and he became a speck of dust on my rearview mirror. Love the real power behind these new 3.5 engines.

With respect to the road rage thing. I've driven both on the East Coast (I went to school in Boston) in New England, New York, Jersey, etc, and the "passing lane" theory is actually a law in Jersey where my friends were telling me not to cruise in the left lane even at 80+mph. However, in California with the 60% of people not really deserving to have licenses, you have grannies cruising at 60 in a 65 zone just waiting to be cut off. The problem is in California that nobody will move over and let you pass (well, very rare anyways). When I drove up to Toronto, people were amazingly courteous when it came to that (I'll give it to the Canadians for this one). I think in your case Snowball, the stupid Civic driver was probably tailing you to try to race. Maybe it was a rural road as you say with one lane, so us younger folk (I'm 24) get impatient when sitting behind someone going the speed limit. Given that I myself would not tail someone, but rather wait until a safe opportunity to pass comes along, the same may not apply to others. He must be out of his mind to think a SLK55 would move to let a Civic pass. That would be like the US pulling all our troops out of Iraq and saying to France, "can you please take over command of Iraq, we're not competent." Imagine that. Anyways, happy cruising.

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
slktyperice - 5/9/2005 12:19 PM

Nice kill Snowball, probably a little overkill on the Civic (362hp vs. 120hp) but you probably reduced his manhood to the size of a raisin. Yeah being a former riced-out Civic driver myself (I didn't go around revving on anything over 180hp, not stupid), now that I've grown up and driving the SLK those little rice rockets are so fun to smoke. g
Not me. I just live in the area

·
Registered
2000SLK-2005SLK
57 Posts
Thanks XJagman for you well reasoned thesis on insane truck drivers. It is not often we are in the company of a genius.

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
Off Topic

slktyperice - 5/10/2005 3:19 AM

When I drove up to Toronto, people were amazingly courteous when it came to that (I'll give it to the Canadians for this one)....

...the US pulling all our troops out of Iraq and saying to France,"can you please take over command of Iraq, we're not competent."
En effet mon ami, en effet. Esperons.

"Pacifism, reconciliation, forgiveness are easily mocked and dismissed words. But only those principles will save us." (Michael Ondaatje, Canadian author)

roadsta

·
Registered
SLK350
834 Posts
Hahaha that last snippet was meant in jest. I'm against the whole thing but I could really care less. I just want to pay less than $2.85 for a gallon of premium.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts