Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2005 S500 with amg package
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem
1. The drivers lock will unlock with the first push of the unlock button on the key fob and the pump runs for a couple of seconds. all good.
2. I push the unlock button again to unlock the other three doors and the pump comes to life for approx 12 seconds but the locks don't pop.
3. the soft close works on all doors
4. I made a smoke machine (cool project with my kid), disconnected the air lines at the pump in the trunk and carefully pumped smoke into the pipes and smoke is coming out of the front passenger door and rear drivers door. So i obviously have a leak.
4. I go to a scrap yard and take off the front pass and rear drivers locks, before i pay i test them and they both leak smoke at the internal white puck thing (not the white end bit). so i don't buy them.
5. I go to another scrap yard and remove the locks and then test them and they both leak at the internal puck.

The questions: - Is some smoke acceptable or should they not leak at all?? can the internal white puck be fixed?

I assume they shouldn't leak at all so i didn't buy them.

The only good news is that I am becoming very proficient at removing the locks.

·
Registered
2003 S500
2,550 Posts
There are two pneumatic actuators on each door lock. The very visible one hanging down at the bottom of the lock assembly is the soft-close actuator. The lock/unlock actuator is buried deep inside the lock assembly. There should be no leakage from the actuator or its connections.

The driver's door lock/unlock actuator failed on my 2003 S430. I took the lock assembly out, and spent several hours trying to learn how to disassemble the lock mechanism to repair or replace the lock actuator, with no luck whatsoever. I bought a new OE lock assembly, installed it, and had no further problem.

The soft-close actuator is accessible enough for repair or replacement.

·
Registered
Traded my 20 yr 1984 500 sec for a 2005 S600
66 Posts
The problem
1. The drivers lock will unlock with the first push of the unlock button on the key fob and the pump runs for a couple of seconds. all good.
2. I push the unlock button again to unlock the other three doors and the pump comes to life for approx 12 seconds but the locks don't pop.
3. the soft close works on all doors
4. I made a smoke machine (cool project with my kid), disconnected the air lines at the pump in the trunk and carefully pumped smoke into the pipes and smoke is coming out of the front passenger door and rear drivers door. So i obviously have a leak.
4. I go to a scrap yard and take off the front pass and rear drivers locks, before i pay i test them and they both leak smoke at the internal white puck thing (not the white end bit). so i don't buy them.
5. I go to another scrap yard and remove the locks and then test them and they both leak at the internal puck.

The questions: - Is some smoke acceptable or should they not leak at all?? can the internal white puck be fixed?

I assume they shouldn't leak at all so i didn't buy them.

The only good news is that I am becoming very proficient at removing the locks.
When you initiated the smoke tests for the various circuits, did you remove the interior door panels, or, did you produce enough smoke to see it coming out from the doors?

·
Registered
2005 SL65 plus 13 other non MB toys
763 Posts
I went through the same thing buying two defective units on ebay.

I repaired mine.

There is a steel ball that is pressed into a small white puck that accepts the vacuum line for the lock/unlock mechanism. This is placed there after the injection mold process as the mold cannot eject the part due to its configuration. Over time the plastic gets brittle and cracks due to the press of the steel ball. Look closely and you will see the split. Carefully take some liquid epoxy and dab the split. If the epoxy is too thin it will work its way around the ball and get into the diaphragm. Not good.

Mine works flawlessly! The passenger door is leaking but not enough to throw a code on SDS. It is just slow moving. I plan on repairing it when time permits. Several months later and the lock I repaired raises and lowers instantly.

HTH

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Carefully take some liquid epoxy and dab the split.

Thanks triple cranks. i will give it a try.

Unlocking the doors manually is driving me crazy!

·
Registered
2003 S500
2,550 Posts
When the lock/unlock actuator failed in the driver's door on my 2003 S430, I spent a lot of time trying to find a way to get access to the actuator, but found that it was buried deep inside the staked- and welded-together latch assembly. How did you get to the actuator in your assembly?

·
Registered
763 Posts
It was tricky. There is a plastic cover that needs to be removed gingerly. After that, the failed part is visible. I went as far as removing the cracked part revealing the diaphragm but that is not needed to make the repair.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: -

I bought some JB Weld for plumbing and did 3 door locks on the car and it worked. all the locks are working and the pump runs for perhaps 2-3 seconds for all 4 doors and faster for just the drivers door.

i forced some of the putty like glue down the hole, where the crack was and then put extra around the part (see pic) i also used the same putty glue to strengthen the bottom white part (not shown in pic)

Hopefully the repair will last a while.
20200301_133040.jpg
20200301_133127.jpg

Gareth

·
Registered
2006 S430
2 Posts
My doors unlock really slow and the soft close is not working at all. At least I have an idea of how to fix the slow moving door locks now. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
763 Posts
Fwiw there is no need to pile on the epoxy. Just a tiny drop on the steel ball where the crack is should do it. 😀

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There is plenty of clearance for the glue and i had it to use. Plus i didn't want to take them out again if i put too little. But i might have gone overboard a little ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts