Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 VW GTI 2.0, 90 MB 190e 2.6, 73 VW Super Beetle
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm driving my newly aquired 1990 190e 2.6L down my road tonight and i floor it. It stalled out on me and i could smell smoke and fuel from under the car as I coasted to a stop. Managed to push the car home, but now it won't start. Nothing's leaking out, coolant seeems to be fine, and it sounds normal when trying to start. I'm stumped until I check it out tomorrow. Any suggestions?

BTW, I wasn't expecting this to be my first post :( hope I didn't blow my headgasket..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok so i was just outside tryin to diag the problem.

did a compression check and as i was doing it, the car slowly sputtered back to life! revving it made it fall on its face, and after letting it idle i could give it some gas again, and it sounded like it was running normal. I've narrowed it down to a fuel issue, maybe the pump or filter being clogged?

·
Premium Member
'92 MB W201 2.3, '10 MB X164 GL550 4Matic, '14 MB W218 CLS550 4Matic
911 Posts
Check exhaust bearings!!:D right drewprof??

I would check the fuel filter.. see if you get any dirt out of it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
replaced the fuel filter, now it has trouble starting and staying running at any time - started misfiring last night and I limped it home. coil? fuel pump burning out?

·
Registered
1993 190E 2.6, 1990 300SEL, 1992 300SE, 1992 400E, 1987 190E 2.6 murdered by my brother.
1,291 Posts
replaced the fuel filter, now it has trouble starting and staying running at any time - started misfiring last night and I limped it home. coil? fuel pump burning out?
If it was fuel pump when you turn your key to the 2nd position in the start sequence you will hear it charge up behind your right rear wheel. If you dont something is wrong.

·
190E, SLK350
66,982 Posts
Welcome to Stall World! Check out my "Stalling Again" thread you may find a thing or two that apply to your situation. You can always sign the back of your title while it's not too late and you get emotionally too involved.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can hear the fuel pump priming - i noticed a vacuum line going from under the air cleaner, to a diaphram type thing, then to a Y shaped rubber hose and a solonoid that latches to the battery wall was broken. What is that line for?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts