Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Loss of power

Classic symptoms of the injection pump going out. Can you do a compression check to make sure you have good compression? If you do, then it is the pump more than likely.

·
Registered
90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
1,574 Posts
Find a rebuilt one

Performance Products, one of our sponsors here, can provide you with a rebuilt one if indeed that is what the problem is. A new one is in the $1,200 range, a bit pricey. You can go to their site and look at the price for a rebuilt one. Eliminate the other possibilities first. A stopped up fuel filter(s) could cause a loss of power too. Have you changed all the fuel filters?

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
I would change both fuel filters,even fresh ones can be contaminated with bad fuel. I have...

I would change both fuel filters,even fresh ones can be contaminated with bad fuel. I have had project cars that worked OK quit in the driveway needing fresh fuel filters. A dirty air filter will cause smoke too and loss of power.

Do the easy things first. Next consider a synthetic oil of still not doing well. Mobil 1 will free sticking rings along with Italian tune ups.

Next if valves have not been adjusted within 15K do them. Time consuming the first time but gets to be easy and fast. Takes two 14mm wrenchs. Some of the cylinders can be awkward to do with out the special curved wrenchs. I bought mine for about $40 on ebay.
Some pals have bought cheap 14 mm wrenches, heated them with a propane torch and bent them in a vise.

No for the the injectors and fuel pump. If still misbehaving run Diesel Purge thru it. It doesn't go in the tank but use a hose to connect to a jar and the pump draws the powerful solvent into the IP pump and through the injectors. Injectors are pricey and can wear out to.

You may have a bad IP Pump, but they do tend to be quite hardy. Good fuel filters also protect the IP pump and injectors.

A seriously worn diesel can run quite well with just good oil, and filters and even have surprising pep.
Good luck.
John Gregg

·
Administratoris Emeritus
2021 SL770
46,416 Posts
Re: Find a rebuilt one

Performance Products, one of our sponsors here, can provide you with a rebuilt one if indeed that is what the problem is. A new one is in the $1,200 range, a bit pricey. You can go to their site and look at the price for a rebuilt one. Eliminate the other possibilities first. A stopped up fuel filter(s) could cause a loss of power too. Have you changed all the fuel filters?
Performance Products has diesel injection punps? They've referred folks to us for injection pumps in the past...

Ron
http://germanstar.net

·
Registered
Mercedes Diesels
145 Posts
I have anIP presumed good on a low miles 77 300D.
Do not know if it would interchange wit...

I have anIP presumed good on a low miles 77 300D.
Do not know if it would interchange with a turbo version. Engine siezed at 130 oddK. I need son to finish striping the 300D so I can get the garage space back. So far have passed up a 108 coupe, and
500SEL grey market euro for lack of space.

I suspect engine locked up when it started burn oil and PO forgot to add oil. Drive a diesel slowly in stop and go traffic and not change oil every 60 days is an invitation for problems.
John Gregg
[email protected]

·
Registered
1986 300E, 1985 300D
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
found somthing else

Found somthing else that is wrong, when the motor running its leaking exhaust in the engine bay, it shoots out of somewhere i can't tell where though, exhuast manifold? its definatly diesel smoke. when its at idle its not the bad but once you rev it, you can see the smoke coming out.

This sucks
[:(]

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.