Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1994 E320 (W124) 4-Door Sedan
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For all of those who have been seeking and searching the forum(like I have for a few weeks:crybaby2:) for the SMOG PUMP RELATED QUESTION:
  • WHAT BELT NUMBER DO I USE TO REPLACE THE ORIGINAL BELT WITHOUT a SMOG PUMP?
FOR MY 1994 E320: I have had it replaced to BELT 6PK2415 from 6PK2145

According to the parts supplier the european version of the car didn't have a smog pump, and that I would have to remove the entire pump and then remove the pulley so that it would not rub in the way of the "NEW" belt path. I attached an adobe file for the various belts for W124's with options and many other cars.

Mercedes Benz Part Number: 011-994-47-92
Generic Part Number: 6PK2415
Available for $20.53 from AutoHausAZ :thumbsup:

Also, depending on when you are replacing your belts and removing your SMOG PUMP, you may also have to replace the IDLER PULLEY.

OK, NUMBER 5 isn't quite gone, but it's GONE!!! This is from my experience on my car and I don't know what you may encounter on yours but, I think I provided a lot of resources to start. Good Luck!

My Check Engine lights does not come on when I start, then again I live in California and it's hot out there! It did however get rid of my Check Engine light nightmare. The car does feel like it's running with less weight against the crankshaft. :p (maybe psychological)

Attachments

·
Registered
1994 Mercedes E320
150 Posts
but without the smog pump, will you pass smog? if you are planning on moving to a non smog state than fine, but if you are planning on staying in california, then your problems are gonna catch up with you the next time you need a test.

and besides the smog pump only works when the car is cold, then i don think it does anything... i thought it just spins freely like an idler once the car is hot

·
Registered
1990 300E 2.6
182 Posts
How did you get the pulley off? On my 90 300E 2.6 my smog pump seems ok but my pulley/clutch deal seems to have a bad bearing. The pulley turns very rough but if I turn the bolt and hold the pulley it seems smooth. Is it possible to replace only the pulley? If so how do you take the thing off?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you get the pulley off? On my 90 300E 2.6 my smog pump seems ok but my pulley/clutch deal seems to have a bad bearing. The pulley turns very rough but if I turn the bolt and hold the pulley it seems smooth. Is it possible to replace only the pulley? If so how do you take the thing off?
First you have to un-mount it from the smog-pump and then remove the bolt from the rear of the pulley to replace.

Good Luck.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1990 300E 2.6
182 Posts
i probably read you wrong but pk2415 is the stock belt which is 95" and we need one that is about 83" or so to bypass the smog pump. But I still haven't figured out how to remove the pulley on my smog pump. Its a shame too because I might be able to replace the bearings on mine and make it work again. I'm pretty sure its just the idler pulley bearing that is bad on mine.

·
Registered
1990 300E 2.6
182 Posts
how do you keep it from spinning when turning the nut? What bolt on the back? I have the unit out of the car now.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i probably read you wrong but pk2415 is the stock belt which is 95" and we need one that is about 83" or so to bypass the smog pump. But I still haven't figured out how to remove the pulley on my smog pump. Its a shame too because I might be able to replace the bearings on mine and make it work again. I'm pretty sure its just the idler pulley bearing that is bad on mine.
Sorry I got the numbers crossed.

how do you keep it from spinning when turning the nut? What bolt on the back? I have the unit out of the car now.
If it's out the car that's a little more difficult. When the pulley is mount it's easier to use a belt wrench assuming the belt was still in place.

The belt actually helps it to stay in place while turning the nut on the pulley. Do you have a vice-grip or a clamp. This will make it easier.

·
Registered
1990 300E 2.6
182 Posts
I fail to see how being in the car would help. On my unit nothing is completely seized and the pump itself turns fine. I can turn the nut independant of the pulley so I dont think the belt being on the pulley would help. That leaves nothing that I can see to hold the pump from spinning when I turn the nut on the pulley/clutch.

·
Registered
2009 E350 4Matic
236 Posts
INTERESTING

After quote above I see I can have same problem with bearing esspecially that I hear it whining from time to time and pump sounds like is working ok. Is it possible that this bad bearing(s) can cause Check engine light and show pump code??? I got oil change in next 1000miles and I was planing to replace air pump and now after I read this post I think I can have the same problem esspecially that I heard whining bearing and mechanic suggest replacing alternator as he suspect bad bearing there (I guess it was his guess :). I got 1994 E420 any difference with this model/year. Please advice
Burbur

·
Registered
1990 300E 2.6
182 Posts
Take off the serpentine belt and rotate the pulleys and see which one is rough to turn. I suspected alternator too but it spun easy. The smog pump is right above the alternator on my car (1990 300E 2.6). The pulley turns really rough like a bad bearing. Moves a little then rough, then smooth for a tiny bit then rough all the way around the rotation. If I hold the pulley from turning and turn by the nut so the inner part turns (pump itself) then once per rev I can feel it get harder to turn but being a pump that seems normal. Its very obvious to me that the pump is good and the pulley bearing is shot. By bearing I mean the one used when the pulley is free wheel with clutch disengaged ie a idler pulley.

I could be wrong as the noise comes and goes on my car. But it already ruined a belt and the belt frayed and took out my distributor cap and cut a tranny cooler line in half.

·
Registered
1990 300E 2.6
182 Posts
So I removed my smog pump and bought a Goodyear Mileage Maker Serpentine Belt part number 935K6MK. The normal is 950K6MK. Basically stock is 95" and I got a 93.5" (haven't installed just yet). I also bought a neoprene expansion plug to plug off the hose to keep dirt out and such. What does this hose do? Suck or Blow? How much pressure? Not sure if this is a good fix or not. Wondering if the plug will shoot out when I start the car LOL. Anyway I am hoping to fix my pump or get a rebuilt but I need the car in the meantime.

·
Registered
1990 300E 2.6
182 Posts
93.5 doesn't seem right either. Going to exchange for 94.5. My luck that is too big. Part numbers listed above refer to overall length of belt. Notice the 935 in part number equates to 93.5 inches. The stock for my car with smog pump is 950. I should have measured with string but another thread on here referenced a 935 so I went with that.

·
Registered
1990 300E 2.6
182 Posts
All done. Smog unit completely removed from vehicle. 3/4" rubber hose that leads to I think the check valve or some sort of vacuum from engine is plugged with a 3/4" neoprene expandable plug and the serpentine belt was shortened by half an inch (stock 95" changed to 94.5") and it runs fine. Whirring Squealing Whining noise from the pulley is gone. I might look into sending the smog pump out for rebuilt but I'm sure it will go by the wayside once I get it through emissions and it passes.

One question though... How do you reset the check engine light so I can see if it comes back on? I've never had a check engine light on this car before.

·
Registered
2009 E350 4Matic
236 Posts
Hi Bass
Thanks for answer to my pump bearing question. I will let my mechanic check it out with next oil change. I cancel my check engine light by disconecting battery and touching cable 4-5 times to terminal ( I can hear click and antena is moving up and down) after that CEL is gone for 2 days and it comes back after some time when smog pump wishes. But with your problem solved CEL should be gone. Do U think that after pump is not connected computer wont throw CEL during starts ups as mixture will be reacher before warm up?? I am really wonder about that as I consider changing belt instead the pump too.

·
Registered
1990 300E 2.6
182 Posts
Well from other posts I read on here the CEL doesn't come on with smog pump removed but I haven't verified. I also read that even in Cali the car can pass emissions without it. Here in Washington State cars older than 1996 just get a "sniff" test on the exhaust pipe, 96 and newer use the computer. An illuminated CEL will fail a car 96 and newer but not a car 95 or older so Im not too worried even if I have to live with the CEL on all the time. I'll reset the CEL and see if it comes back on.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Dragon Wagon
198 Posts
Nope, no CEL from a disconnected air pump. I pulled the connector to the pump's mag clutch months ago. It basically never works. It's supposed to cycle on with cold start for a few seconds and shut down. The system doesn't monitor it for function.

It runs great and you'll never notice.

And the pollution police can bugger off. The semi-rich exhaust for a minute is no big thing compared to most poorly tuned cars out there.

·
Registered
1990 300E 2.6
182 Posts
Thought I would add a comment that after removing the smog pump I was able to get through emissions testing just fine here in Washington State.

·
Registered
E320 Twin Turbo Coupe
154 Posts
My car doesn't have a smog pump and works just fine.
You could have found which belt to use by measuring the length required with string or similar and ordering a new belt that size (the last four digits are the length in mm). I had a similar problem when I fitted a different alternator bracket. Fortunately GSF (UK Mercedes parts supplier) list a range of belts on their website.
eg..

Attachments

·
Registered
E320 wagon
953 Posts
HELLO

I guess we are all in denial about passing a smog test . Even if you pass on the emissions number , they will ding you on equipment .its like not having a Cad. or widened gas filler . It has no bearing on the smog test / readings, its " equipment "

Or do we bolt on the pump & belt every two years to pass ?

·
Registered
E320 Twin Turbo Coupe
154 Posts
Not all of us. My car never had a smog pump. ;)

Besides, if the pump fails is it better for the environment to bypass it or buy a new one that was made in Germany, shipped to a wholesaler half way around the world then shipped again to the customer?

Cats I can understand, but the smog pump?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts