Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Smelling fuel vapor

349 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  WurlitzBurg
Hello people, I have developed a reasonably strong smell of petrol when exiting the vehicle. No smell while driving, or in the cabin, no leaks of fuel to see under the vehicle. Started a couple of weeks ago. Initially thought that I overfilled tank. Removed cover under the tank, checked for any leaks around tank, fuel pump and fuel lines that are visible. No obvious leak. Next step is removing covers where fuel lines run to front of vehicle. Before I do any suggestion, what could be wrong or where to look. Not loosing petrol at a great rate, just the smell. Thanks in advance
See less
Hello people, I have developed a reasonably strong smell of petrol when exiting the vehicle. No smell while driving, or in the cabin, no leaks of fuel to see under the vehicle. Started a couple of weeks ago. Initially thought that I overfilled tank. Removed cover under the tank, checked for any leaks around tank, fuel pump and fuel lines that are visible. No obvious leak. Next step is removing covers where fuel lines run to front of vehicle. Before I do any suggestion, what could be wrong or...
See more
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,530 Posts
Usually if your gas filler cap is bad the car will tell you with a check engine light. But maybe getting a new gas cap could help since they don't cost that much.

· Registered
17 Posts
On an R230 SL the tank is inside, no cover underneath to remove. Are you in the right car section? On an R230 any smell outside is probably from the pipes, fuel filter or pump connections above the axle. Smell in the cabin is most often the seal on the sender unit.

· Registered
1,530 Posts
Maybe open the hood and see if you smell fuel in the engine compartment, then it might be a fuel leak on the fuel rail or fuel lines. Look by the gas cap to see if maybe you spilled some when filling the car. If that happened it would go away quickly, though.

· Registered
2003 SL55 AMG
54 Posts
I experienced fuel odor in the rear wheel wells. It was a very slow leak from the fuel pump body. I had to run my hand over the surfaces to find the leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts