Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Slk 200
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been more than 3 months but what can I do I am a little bit lazy nowadays. I bought the leds from Jlewi and they are really perfect. Before the leds when I locked my car I was staring at it at least 5 seconds now it is 10 seconds :) I strongly recommend the mod to all of you! There isn't much to say about smarttop it is definetly a must! It is a shame for MB that it is sold seperately and SLK fans pay Euros for that little device! AMG tail lights were on my list of mods and I am really happy that I have them on my car. Little things make the difference! AMG illuminated door sills are just fantastic. I know it takes 3 seconds to open the door get in and close it, but I have them and I know they look superb!!! I could go with SLK illuminated door sills but AMG ones are not too expensive, they are nearly the same as SLK ones so I chose AMG.

In earlier threads I read something about rattling of the vario roof and doors and a piece of felt can make them go away so I gave felt a chance and voila the roof makes no noice. But it only lasted a month now it needs the usual treatment with silicone spray. The solution was temporary but it worked. With some oilment and spray I am king of silence again. I know it is impossible to achieve my E class comfort with my SLK, the felt is something every noisy roof owner should try....

Attachments

·
Registered
06 SLK 280, on order 09 SLK 350
209 Posts
diclehana said:
sorry about the dirty car, it was raining... I wanted to show the felt in this picture but it is not visible :)
Where did you put the felt to stop the roof rattles? I can't tell from the picture.
Thanks.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Duo-Art said:
Different strokes for different folks. My 2005 SLK 350 is stock and I like it that way. I've never found it necessary to have the roof module.
:thumbsup: I would describe the Piecha or SmartTop roof module as the option that MB left off. Very popular with the forum crowd. Virtually no (if any) complaints that I'm aware of, other than self installation.

·
Registered
SLK 350 (2006)
421 Posts
It is a small thing, but the SmartTop is a very nice improvement over the MB way. For instance, it's a hot day. I'm leaving work. As I head out the door, I start the drop top. By the time I get to the car, it has already aired out and cooled down a little. Open the door, get in, start the engine, attach seat belt, drive off.

Before it was Open the door, get in, start the engine, reach with left hand to get seat belt while simultaneously holding the roof button with right hand, twist upper torso so that left hand can buckle belt, keep holding button, keep holding button, keep holding button, drive off.

I just felt silly holding the button and doing nothing else. That's why I tried to at least take up some of the time by trying to simultaneously buckle belt.

Now it feels normal. Just get in and drive off.

Similarly when I get home. Drive into garage, hold button, hold button, look around, hold button, turn off engine, get out.

Now, drive in, turn off engine, get out, close top as enter house.

It is just a small thing that makes life smoother. It feels right for the car. But I can understand MB trying to avoid the liability issues, especially in the States where people sue about ANYTHING! Even their own stupidity and they win. Like the McDonalds hot coffee suit.

But I am very glad I have the module.

·
Registered
1989 300 SL (R107)
284 Posts
Duo-Art said:
I have no doubt that many SLK owners like the Piecha and Smart Top modules. I have no need for one as I like the way the top operates as M/B built it.
Well, I had it installed on Saturday and I can tell you: it makes an incredible difference:
- you open and close whenever you want: get the car out of the garage, press the button to open the roof whilst you lock your garage door. When you get into a car park or into a traffic jam: press the button and close the roof. No need to stop traffic and get people angry about this stupid guy showing off his stupid car!
- you get out of the car, click 3 times and the car closes like a batmobile.
- you get to your car, click 3 times and the car is ready to go (plus easier to get in).
It is TOTALLY perfect. It really changes the way to use a convertible.

·
Registered
Slk 200
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GregoryGR said:
:thumbsup: Well done diclehana, I like the AMG illumination most! Very nice! Where did you get it? How much?
It's something like 650 Euros. I am not sure but it is not more than 675 Euros. With brabus style puddle lights they look simply great... :)

·
Registered
2005 slk 350
468 Posts
mtiede said:
It is a small thing, but the SmartTop is a very nice improvement over the MB way. For instance, it's a hot day. I'm leaving work. As I head out the door, I start the drop top. By the time I get to the car, it has already aired out and cooled down a little. Open the door, get in, start the engine, attach seat belt, drive off.

But I am very glad I have the module.
I feel the same way. I held off buying the module for quite some time figuring that it really wasn't necessary, I don't drive it that much, etc. But once you have it, it makes a world of difference.

I play basketball on Sunday mornings. Last week, I finished playing, was hot and sweaty, walked out of the court and dropped the top from inside the lobby at least two hundred feet away with the remote in my pocket! By the time I got to the car, it was nice and cool. Now that's what I call an improvement.

Before the module, I would have to stand four feet from the car and point the damn remote at the handle, hold it for twenty-two seconds and hope the signal didn't get interrupted and stop the whole procedure. And hope noone was watching me looking like an idiot doing it.

Believe me, it's $ 275.00 well spent.

·
Registered
2007 SLK55 AMG Iridium Silver
246 Posts
AMG door sills....quad mufflers....smoked mid-tail lights...paddle shifters... on a slk200?? come on, why would you do that. i wanna ask..why? so many people wanna make their non-amg benz look like an AMG. might as well pay the extra and go for it, instead of spending money trying to look like one. it really makes a lot of point fingers and laugh, as they pass by a car like that. the LED sideskirt makes the car look like a cheap japanese tuner car (honda to be specific), which doesn't make a benz look german. mercedes benz looks best without exterior mods. people should accept the way their car is and STOP trying to make their car look like something it isn't. i would never put an "SLR" badge on the back of my trunk, or put lambo doors on my car, why? i know my car ISNT one and i accept that. sorry to be so honest.

·
Registered
2006 Slk 200K
266 Posts
MBSLRwannaBE said:
AMG door sills....quad mufflers....smoked mid-tail lights...paddle shifters... on a slk200?? come on, why would you do that. i wanna ask..why? so many people wanna make their non-amg benz look like an AMG. might as well pay the extra and go for it, instead of spending money trying to look like one. it really makes a lot of point fingers and laugh, as they pass by a car like that. the LED sideskirt makes the car look like a cheap japanese tuner car (honda to be specific), which doesn't make a benz look german. mercedes benz looks best without exterior mods. people should accept the way their car is and STOP trying to make their car look like something it isn't. i would never put an "SLR" badge on the back of my trunk, or put lambo doors on my car, why? i know my car ISNT one and i accept that. sorry to be so honest.
:confused: :confused: Nice style of answering... Why???

To each his own!

P.S A new SLK200 in Turkey, costs as much as a low mileage 55 in the States. Believe me, if he was in the States he would definetely buy the 55!! Unluckily, he lives in Turkey and must pay HUGE taxes!

·
Registered
05' SLK55 Orion Blue
50 Posts
MBSLRwannaBE said:
Yeah, I don't understand why people badge their car with something it isn't. But, hey each their own...but they can't hold it against others if they find it funny.

·
Registered
1989 300 SL (R107)
284 Posts
Anyway, it's nice (I mean it) to see a Greek guy defending a Turkish guy! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Slk 200
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MBSLRwannaBE said:
Well why didn't I get 55 AMG? It is because, cost of the car is over 135.000 Euros, I can buy a second hand ferrari 360 or 911 Turbo techart modified one with that money. When I get the car SLK 200 it was 77000 Euros, I wonder how much did you pay for yours? The leds you called "making the car look like cheap japanese one" is also the ones Brabus uses. I am not rebadging my car, I am just modifying the stock look of the car. It is not forbidden I guess. And I am not choosing cheap products, only known ones. AMG is still MB I think :) There is nothing to argue. Some like it stock some does not. If I had 135.000 Euros I doubt I would get SLK 55 AMG and pay 7000 Euros as tax every year. That is my opinion of course...

·
Registered
Slk 200
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
GregoryGR said:
:confused: :confused: Nice style of answering... Why???

To each his own!

P.S A new SLK200 in Turkey, costs as much as a low mileage 55 in the States. Believe me, if he was in the States he would definetely buy the 55!! Unluckily, he lives in Turkey and must pay HUGE taxes!
Thanks for backing me up man. I am thinking of going to Greece this summer. Hope to see you there mate. :)

·
Registered
1989 300 SL (R107)
284 Posts
Here we go, a historical moment.
:beerchugr: :sloppy:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts