Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 C230 and unfortunately I only have one smartkey. Today all of a sudden my doors would not unlock, although the red light on the smartkey was still flashing. I used the mechanical key to unlock the doors, the alarm went off but when i put the smartkey in the ignition the alarm went off and I was able to turn the car on with no problem.

I figured the batteries might be bad so I purchased new ones, but I still cant lock/unlock doors. I am sure I put the batteries the correct way, so that's not the problem.

Any ideas?

ps I went through about 20 threads related to smart keys but none presented a solution to my specific issue. Most threads seem to relate to the car not even starting, which is NOT a current issue I have.

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
try this - put the key very close (within one feet distance) from the drivers door handle and press UNLOCK. There is a IR eye right next to the drivers door handle. Even if the RF is not working, the IR should work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, that worked! LOL, I'm partially happy and partially sad. Within 1 foot I can use my car as normal, but my key ultimately still needs to be replaced I presume...unless there's some sort of complete fix, but from what I've read I havent been able to find one. Is there not anyone that repairs these keys for less than the cost of a new one???

Thanks much though, at least I can stop using the mechanical key now and my alarm can be used!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After reading up on the problem it sounds like you're probably right. Is there a DIY anywhere for replacing this? I've read some people say the rear windshield has to come out, others seem to have fixed it without doing so. Either, no clear cut instructions seem to be out there on the fix. The threads I was reading are a few years old, perhaps someone since then has had experience with this?

Thanks for the help, I'd rather fix myself if possible and avoid having to pay the dealership.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Keyless Entry-same issue.

My C240 keyless entry only works when i point my key directly onto the infrared window on the driver's door handle, otherwise it is impossible to lock or unlock the car from any point. my key's batteries are New. my car is 2001. it seems only the infrared works and not the radio frequency of the keys. Please help! thanks! Update, now the driver's side is not working at all even when at close distance (1 inch) only the passangers side.Please help! thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keyless Entry-same issue.

matamorfosis
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Dec 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My C240 keyless entry only works when i point my key directly onto the infrared window on the driver's door handle, otherwise it is impossible to lock or unlock the car from any point. my key's batteries are New. my car is 2001. it seems only the infrared works and not the radio frequency of the keys. Please help! thanks! Update, now the driver's side is not working at all even when at close distance (1 inch) only the passangers side.Please help! thanks!

Repale The Battery !!!!!!!!:surrender::surrender::surrender

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok so randomly my RF function started working again, it's been working consistently for a week now. WEIRD.

I'm praying it continues to work but I have a feeling soon enough it will go out again. Until then, I'm not going to worry about it. Let's see how long this lasts...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts