Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a bit confused about MB's logic when they came up with the SmartKey:<br>
<br>
We're supposed to start the car with the electronic key while the mechanical key operates door locks,<br>
glove compartment, and trunk. You can lock the trunk and glove box with the mechanical key and it pulls off.<br>
<br>
So when you valet park, you give the SmartKey to the valet dude and take the mechanical key with you.<br>
<br>
Question is, how the heck is the valet guy supposed to attach the tags to the SmartKey when there's no keyring??<br>
<br>
This just striked me when my friend was asking how come the mechanical key pulls off. *Shrug* not that I'd have any use for valet services anyway. <br>
<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leave it all together

Have the car key(s) smartkey, heater remote, etc. together - but separated from all other keys. Hand it to the valet dude ... and he can easily attach the tag.<br> <br> I don't believe that you are locking your glove compartment or trunk with the mechanical key - at least I know nobody who does, therefore you loose nothing by handig over everything. <br> <br> The mechanical key is exclusively for emergencies, so you can get into the car when for instance your battery drained. For starting the car you will have to apply electricity again so there it is OK, not to have a mechanical fall-back solution.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts