Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

after a google and forums search, I haven't come up with an answer to my question. I'm sure it's in here somewhere but I find that I always have trouble finding what I'm searching for, maybe because I'm doing it wrong, or maybe being I'm looking for very little questions about the smallest thing that maybe hasn't been discussed. I digress.

So anywho, I know that Mercedes-Benz and their keys are very technologically advanced and that they sometimes are hard to figure out.

If my friend has a key (chrome, but not the newest chrome key, c. 2010) that is programmed for his w210 and he uses it, if I were to buy it off of him, could I get it to work for my car (reprogram it)? If so, would I have to have the nearest dealership take care of this? This all providing the key is functional and works just fine with his car so it isn't just a fried key that nobody can use.

Funny story actually: My father went through a detector in the airport about 6 or 7 years ago with the earliest model of the smart key and it was fried when he tried to use it to leave the airport a few days later after his returning flight. I'm not sure what caused it but I'm thinking it must've been some airport security device. Weird huh?

Thanks to all in advance,

·
W210 Moderator
4,969 Posts
previously owned smartkeys are, for the most part, not re-programmable.
having said that, someone here was boasting of having done that, using
an electronic key programmer made in China. this surfaced a year ago as
a declaration, but has not resurfaced other than that one time.

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
If you are good with detail chip soldering, you can transfer your security chip to the PCB in the chrome key and it will work.

If not, the only other option is to head to the dealer and drop however much they say for a new one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks guys. I also came across someone on Craiglist selling a brand new key because he said he had found the key he lost, so was selling it for like $60 brand new basically. He also claimed that it is easy to have it reprogrammed and was trying to sell it. I hope no one goes forward and buys the key off of this person, although, in theory they could use it to do what they wanted with his car since it's programmed for it after all :big laugh:.

Anyone else who has something to add please do,

·
W210 Moderator
4,969 Posts
If you are good with detail chip soldering, you can transfer your security chip to the PCB in the chrome key and it will work.

If not, the only other option is to head to the dealer and drop however much they say for a new one.
not just chip soldering like us old farts may have done, but SMD soldering, which
is quite a bit trickier. akin to carving Snoopy on the head of a pin

·
Registered
31,633 Posts
Thanks guys. I also came across someone on Craiglist selling a brand new key because he said he had found the key he lost, so was selling it for like $60 brand new basically. He also claimed that it is easy to have it reprogrammed and was trying to sell it. I hope no one goes forward and buys the key off of this person, although, in theory they could use it to do what they wanted with his car since it's programmed for it after all :big laugh:.

Anyone else who has something to add please do,
Wait...you mean people may say incorrect and misleading things on CL and fleabay, etc. in order to induce sales?

Boy, is *that* a newsflash! :D :D

·
Registered
35,784 Posts
Do you really think the real owner would sell spare key for his car?
think about it.
I bet somewhere in this area - on auction, or dealer lot there is a Mercedes with missing spare key.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't considering the purchase or anything. Just wanted to post what I came across is all.

·
Registered
710 Posts
250SL,

Raymond is correct. And this has been covered before many times.

Here it is. You go down to your dealer. You hand over your drivers license and title (proof of ownership). Insurance paper does not count. They make copies. You pay your $200 or so (maybe a club discount could apply). You get a call in a couple of weeks to come down and pick up your key. You (and no one else) show your license and proof of ownership again. The sales, parts or GM will confirm that you are who you say you are and you get your key.

No EB, CL, Chinese, back yard reprogrammed key will work. Nada. Ask the parts manager to show you an ignition module, then you'll know why.

Easy as that. Good luck.

Mike K.

·
W210 Moderator
4,969 Posts
many dealers will now require that the car be presented as well. they're
not giving customers the option of presenting photo ID and registration.
apparently they may have been stung once or twice where the key buyer
was the previous owner and would have had access to a current registration. so they began to take a hard line on 'proof' and now to include
presenting the car, be it driven in, or towed in.

good intentions do not always make good policy, ie there is always collateral
damage.

let's say just prior to a sale, I present the car and have another key made
(first). so there is always an angle....there is always a loophole

·
Registered
595 Posts
The owner with proof and the car had to be present to reprogram by tech and probably compliment car wash and free starbuck. The key came code to vin # but still need to reprogram by the tech at dealer to the car. That how it's when one of my key fob went south and order a new one. Cost me $365.00 $290.00 for the key and $75.00 for reprogram, that's for my 97 E320 but the new smart key probably cheaper like $200.00 +/-.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
We have to have the car at the dealer or they charge for a member of staff to come to you with the key to confirm you and your car, this is after first presenting photo ID and all paperwork when you order the key.
The key comes ready to go, no "extra" programming needed, at most it may need leaving in the ignition for so long first.
I know a guy at he parts department and I just gave him my reg number, no paperwork.
He brought me a fully working key with none of this "extra" programming, if the dealer wants you to wait in the waiting room and drink coffee while they "programme" your new key that was sent to them then and charge X$ that's a piss take.

·
Registered
35,784 Posts
Per my knowledge the pre-2000 keys with blades were owner programmable. I had key with blade on 2001 ML and had to pay the stealer to program it.
All knobs, or smart keys come fully programmed from the central location in US.
About 3 years ago I bought the chrome key from Duval with only faxed papers. Times and procedures change, (along with the $130 price).

·
Registered
157 Posts
While we're on the subject, does anyone know how much a replacement valet key costs? I'm pretty sure the car came with one, but one of the previous owners mustve lost it, & I would like to have one. It SHOULD cost about $20, but knowing mercedes dealers it's probably alot more...

·
Registered
125 Posts
While we're on the subject, does anyone know how much a replacement valet key costs? I'm pretty sure the car came with one, but one of the previous owners mustve lost it, & I would like to have one. It SHOULD cost about $20, but knowing mercedes dealers it's probably alot more...
I ordered a spare valet key from the dealer, and got a 'better than' discount since I know the parts tech personally. $49 before tax. Again, having a friend at the dealer is helpful, as there was no identification hassle on either ordering or picking up the key.

·
Registered
35,784 Posts
There is no valet key on W210. There is key only, without remote what some members call wallet key, although they have to have wallets way bigger than mine to fit it.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
There is no valet key on W210. There is key only, without remote what some members call wallet key, although they have to have wallets way bigger than mine to fit it.
Since the wallet key is smaller than a credit card, I think you need a bigger wallet!!!;)

·
Registered
35,784 Posts
I do. The key would be equivalent of $10,000 in cash when you compare thickness.
Maybe you can unload some bills from your wallet to put the key in, but as I said -I don't have such big wallet to start with.

BTW I can take care about those unloaded bills.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts