Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 CLK550
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to change out the battery on my SmartKey fob, which I have done before, but the "tray" inside would not come out, even using the manual's technique of depressing that thing inside with the mechanical key and pulling. I used more force and the chrome end thing came off. Im not sure what went wrong but it would not slide out like normal. I can't get to the battery.

So, what is the cheapest way to fix this? I found a shell of the same fob, how would I transfer the computer part into the new one? Would an auto locksmith help?

Office supplies Wood Lamp Writing implement Tints and shades

·
Registered
2005 CLK55 AMG Coupe ,CLK320,Former,C180 Kompressor,Jensen Healey,Ford Capri V6,Alfa GTV.
2,514 Posts
Your batteries may have corroded and become stuck.
I would spray some WD-40 or similar into the battery area , wait a while and then try to carefully lever the battery holding section out using a table knife end.
Once you get it out you can figure out what needs to happen , if you can replace the batteries and perhaps re attach the end part with super glue ..
If not then yes , get help from a key auto locksmith.

·
Registered
2008 CLK550
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried it but cannot get that center battery section out even with a swiss army knife or small screwdriver pulling it. Im going to try to cut it out once I get the new shell case to replace the ECB in. Key looks old, the buttons are already smashed in a bit.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550 FORMER: C300, ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
24,750 Posts
If you can get the circuit board out without damaging it, you can put it into a "donor" key and use its housing and battery carrier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts