Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
slk 55
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but there is a smaller antenna available. My dealer refused to mount the antenna under the windshield as someone else here had shown because they did not want to be responsible for the poor reception. They also said that the antenna would tend to be covered by snow and leaves in that position. I'm not sure if I agree with that, but they did offer me a smaller antenna mounted on the trunk, as shown in the pics below. The third pic shows a quarter on the antenna to give you an idea of size. They charged me $695 for the receiver, $250 for labor, $65 for the antenna, and $22 for a spliiter. I also had them paint the antenna Obsidian, and the dealer's body shop charged $78 for that. No doubt I could have had it done for less $ elsewhere, but I wanted the dealer to do it, so they can't say that future problems with the electrical or command system were caused by the installation. If anyone has trouble finding the antenna, call the dealer's Parts Department at 908.964.4000, and I'm sure they would be happy to share the manufacturer and model number.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 GL320 CDI, 2005 SLK350 and 2001 SLK320
328 Posts
Looks good...much better than the full zize one. It's a bit pricey with all the installation and painting and stuff, but the results look very nice.

·
Registered
'05 SLK 350
43 Posts
I did something diferent....bought a TOTALLY portable radio from Delphi called MIfi XM2GO for XM sat.radio. For $250+ tax and subscription(XMSR NOT Sirius) I have a radio that plays through my Mercedes Radio using an unused FM station. It comes with both home and auto kit plus you can take it wherever you go using the built-in antenna and earphones. There is an antenna(comes with auto kit),that I have mounted under the cowl on the Driver's(not Passenger)Side. The reception is perfect(all wires concealed). I can also take it in my other car because there is a separate portable antenna that adheres to the winshield. For me it's a sensible & affordable solution..plus no ugly antenna(no matter how small),mounted on my trunk.

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
bigciti - 4/9/2005 8:53 PM

I did something diferent....I have a radio that plays through my Mercedes Radio using an unused FM station...
The MB OEM unit hooks through the digital optical bus. So it passes the digital stream (after LPCM conversion) and it is decoded in the head unit. This is the bst possible way to pass the signal. FM modulation produces the poorest SQ and is the lowest of all connection types. You would be MUCH better off plugging the line out into the Aux input in the glove box but even this is FAR inferior to a digital connection.

·
Registered
'05 SLK 350
43 Posts
Sounds impressive...but it works great! How do you explain that? Also..I don't have a AUX input in glove box.

·
Registered
2006 SLK 350
454 Posts
I'm glad the setup worked for you. The black hides it fairly well. I want to get Sirius really badly for the Iridium silver car I will be ordering soon, but I won't unless the antenna can be hidden. On a light car it is very distracting.

·
Registered
'05 SLK 350
43 Posts
The antenna is under the cowl on driver's side. It's black(cowl)on a silver car also isn't it? The antenna is extremely small and is hard to see even when looking directly at it.

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Again, for the record... and to all people with Iridium or any light-colored SLK, this is the only logical way to go. No reception issues. Don't believe what the dealer tells you... my dealer did this custom installation inside the driver's side cowling and it works flawlessly within city limits and beyond, even over 50 miles away from the city in the suburbs and interstates where terrestrial repeaters are not available. Why settle with a body-color-matched miniature wart of an antenna on the boot lid when you can have no visible wart at all? Droppped signals are not an issue in the hood cowling, In fact, the reception reliability exceeds that of the OEM ROOF-MOUNTED SIRIUS ANTENNA on my BMW X5. Trust me, with the proper antenna, reception is not a compromise on the SLK. You CAN have your cake and eat it too.

·
Registered
2004 SL500 2002 SLK320
1,672 Posts
Check out my Sirius setup. I drove from Memphis to Nashville, Knoxville, Pigeon Forge, Cary, Charlotte, Ashville and back home with no reception problems except for in tunnels, under the porch of hotels, and under ground parking garages.

The only time when trees affected my Sirius signal is when I was at the Biltmore Estate in Ashville. I was on a narrow one-way road that is a little wider than one car width with 5 story high pines trees on both side of the road. The trees were so close together that you could not even walk between them. Leaves do not affect the signal.

Dealer ordered everything and just charge me $1,106.67. I even purchased the lifetime Sirius subscription for $357.47.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
shark22, Would you happen to have a part number for that antenna?
I'm having a hell of time trying to find this part at the mercedes part depatment.

·
Registered
858 Posts
shark22, Would you happen to have a part number for that antenna?
I'm having a hell of time trying to find this part at the mercedes part depatment.
:eek:This is a 2 1/2 plus year old thread. The smaller Sirius antenna pictured is the standard factory style antenna and cover that's been standard for almost three years. Double check with you local MB parts department. I've seen one on display at my dealer. By the way, Shark22's antenna is installed backwards, correct position is blunt end towards the front.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts