Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1960 280
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally was able to convince my wife that i WANT this car. so did all the research (thank you forum folks) and my son(7 years old) helped with the search by deciding what color :)
we got this 85 380 SL white with burgundy interior and with 79K miles. car has been garaged and never driven in rain. minor seat leather cracks and one hair line crack on the dash.
I did an oil change and noticed that even after the oil change, the oil seems to be a dark color. also there is a drip around the oil drain plug. this was there before i took it for the oil change. my first guess was someone destroyed the pan threads and didnt use a washer...other than changing the oil pan, do i have any other recourse? its a drop a day thats all. not much.

thanks

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,164 Posts
More likely they failed to replace the washer which should be done at each oil change.

·
Registered
Previous: 1989 190E 2.6, 1997 E420, 1985 380SL, 1975 450SLC
747 Posts
The pan drain bolt is the natural low point of the engine case so it could also be the point of departure for any fluids that are leaking from elsewhere on your engine and flowing along the surface of the block down to the pan, etc. The large copper crush washer for the drain bolt should accompany every oil filter along with a couple of O-rings and other washers. If your 28 year old car only has one tiny oil drip then count yourself lucky! Trying to keep these cars 100% drip-free can get expensive in a hurry (iirc, removing the oil pan on these cars is not an easy proposition, and may require front subframe removal for access).

·
Registered
1960 280
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha. the form name comes from the Archie comics...Betty in order to prop up archie (who works as a soda jerk) says her boyfriend is a Fizzizist....

·
Registered
1960 280
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
one thing i noticed the mechanic do (he is a indy merc shop here in Rock Hill SC) is he took the wire off to the distributor(i think) and then cranked the car. seems like he was trying to build up oil pressure without wanting the car to crank up. never saw that before.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,353 Posts
one thing i noticed the mechanic do (he is a indy merc shop here in Rock Hill SC) is he took the wire off to the distributor(i think) and then cranked the car. seems like he was trying to build up oil pressure without wanting the car to crank up. never saw that before.
Used to be a common practice. Not recommended any more. Expensive damage to ignition components can occur. Ask Dugald.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts