Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'07 C280 4matic, '06 530i, '98 ML320
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Few days ago, a minor leak started on my '98 ML320.
The source of the leak is from the connector that connects to the trans cooler (radiator-like looking thing in front of the radiator).

I would've expected red color fluid from that connector since it probably is trans cooler.

My question is, coolant routed to trans cooler also?

What fluid is in YELLOW color ?

·
Registered
2000 ml 430
151 Posts
sound like the a/c condenser (in front of the radiator)? might be the oil in the freon?? is your a/c ok? havent had that leak yet myself, so just guessing. good luck. i think the trans cooler is inside the radiator on most models. do the lines go to the a/c compressor?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
texasdanml430 - 5/9/2005 12:15 PM

sound like the a/c condenser (in front of the radiator)? might be the oil in the freon?? is your a/c ok? havent had that leak yet myself, so just guessing. good luck. i think the trans cooler is inside the radiator on most models. do the lines go to the a/c compressor?
You probably are right. The line does go to A/C compressor. You said "Oil in the freon". So, the freon looks yellow in color? How did the oil get in there? The leak fluid looks yellow and feels oily.

If it was your truck, how would you resolve this leak? Just buy a new crush washer and replace the crush washer at the connector (before replacing other parts?)

Thanks for quick (and more importantly for accurate diagnosis).

·
Registered
2000 ml 430
151 Posts
if it was my truck.......(you probably asked the wrong guy) ;-)

i am going out on a limb here; many people on this board think the dealers are great.....
i DONT have that kind of experience myself.
so, here goes.
(flame suit on)

proceed at your own risk.
these lines are under pressure, so watch out. the lines to the condenser are under HIGH pressure when the ac is on. so turn it off (the a.c.) leave it off for a while. eventually the pressure equalizes throughout the system, but its still not zero, unless you are completely out of gas.

(deep breath) with safety glasses and gloves on, I would back that leaking attachment nut off very slightly (half turn or ??) and snug it back up, just incrementally tighter than it was. then, go to Wal Mart and get the $20 can of freon with oil in it that also has a gauge. read the instruction on the can.

start the engine, turn on the ac. look for a leak. if you still have one, its probably time for an a/c man to evacuate the system after replacing some $0.25 o-ring or another; bummer, but much cheaper than a compressor.

if you dont have a leak, turn off the a/c and car, hook up the gas can to the low pressure side, turn the can upside down, and push the button to dump the oil in the can into the system. do this pretty soon while the pressure on the low side is still very low.

then, fire up the car and ac, turn the can right side up, read the gauge, squirt gas into the system until you have 'some' pressure on the low side (green range) BUT NOT TOO MUCH. you may empty the can and need another. this all depends on how much gas you have lost, outside air temp, compressor condition, etc etc; check for renewed leaking. if its still leaking, you only wasted 20 bucks. find an honest (rare) a/c guy.

but, you may be able to fix it yourself, for nearly nothing. it worked for me.

good luck.

p.s. you really are supposed the cycle the a.c. on once in a while during the winter. the compressor wil die without oil.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
texasdan,

Thanks for the info. You were correct about the A/C condencer and the leak is indeed from that connector.
I stopped by the dealer and picked up 2 o-rings. I am going to take the truck to an independent mechanic; he has worked on this truck several times.

As for dealers, I don't take the truck to the dealer unless it's a recall item (P/S hose, harmonic balancer).
My mechanic had replaced several things on the truck to my satisfaction (Water Pump, Rear suspension including the Controls Arms, Change ATF fluid, filter etc.) I don't mind paying an honest mechanic.

texasdan, thank you very much for your thoughts on this. Hope, this info. will be of use to someone else in the future if they see YELLOW color leak near the radiator.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i thought i had the same problem. dealer says its the ps pump and resevoir. funny b/c i checked the ps fluid and it was full. i told them to check and see if it was residual ps fluid from the clamp recal. but they said it was indeed the pump leaking.

·
Registered
2000 ML320
188 Posts
I had this problem recently. I hav posted some pictures few days ago. http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1243377&posts=28&fid=29

Take a look at the pictures and you should know if you have the same problem. This is actually covered under recall. You can call your nearest dealer and have to fix it free. I brought it in to my dealer and s/a originally quoted me $300. But I printed out the recall detail and told him this is covered under recall. He than told me I was correct and free of charge. You may want to try that at the dealer. Good luck!

Willis

1 - 7 of 7 Posts