Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know which of the four wires are the illumination on the cluster exterior temp display connection please? The light in mine died ages ago, i need to supply a feed from elsewhere as i cant find any obvious problem and i'm on my 3rd unit now thinking it was that..

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ross. Looks like #4 and #2 connectors. Not with the car now to check but i expect they are helpfully numbered like most other things. I havent got a tester but i doubt i'll need one.. Cheers.

·
Registered
'82 500sec euro, '95 Ford F150
1,584 Posts
With Bosch color codeing brown is almost always ground (or negative). All other colors are positive. In your case the browns are the ground and the two other ones are the display and the other one the bulb.
The bulbs do burn out sometimes. It is not easily replaceable. The bulb is soldered onto the circuitry, and it is a lower wattage bulb than the dash bulbs. I made one out of two. I used the bulb out of one with a dead display and soldered it to the one with the good display.
Good luck!

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i've seen the little bulb thing. In this case i just tried my spare temp display in the spares car and the lightling worked, but doesnt in my driver car. Its worth me checking all the fuses through - i do that quite often anyway but you never know.. Otherwise if i cant find anything else i'll just try bringing a feed from something else low powered.

To be honest its been like it a year or more and wasnt bothering me but now its winter again i've had to shine a torch at it when driving. Not very S class! Lol :)

·
Slightly creased
2015 ML 400 x 2
16,613 Posts
sometimes these little things can so annoy. My outboard mirror adjust switch does not light up in the centre dot (which it should) I have tried three different switches in it - even pulling one apart (it never worked again), but the fault is somewhere in the power feed to the diode, but I cannot find it to repair it. I have almost stopped driving the car when lights are required so it is not so much of an issue any more.

Yes, we can be obsessive.....

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stupid thing. Took out the working and illuminating display from spares car. But it didnt light up when in my normal car. It did display temp as the usual one did. Put it back in spares car to double check and now it doesnt light up in there either. Are they super delicate bulbs in there or something? They're extremely tiny thats all i know. Too small for me to try and solder new one in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts