Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
04 G500, 08 Vantage Roadster
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check your rear door hinge seal, they are very likely neglected.

Rear Door Hinge Seals are super hard after 10 years of service on my G, and very likely on your G if it is older than 07. The rubber seals are hard and brittle and it won't stop rain sipping in.

It is a minor job but it is important. Why? The failed hinge seals exposed moisture and rain water to your rear electronics in your rear left wheel-well. I suspect that's why I replaced some relays last year and also why I found road salt precipitated on my antenna splitter.

You will need 4 piece of seals, each hinge needs 2.
Part number is 460 743 01 78

You will need 2 interior plastic removal tools to wiggle out the worn hardened rubber. Don't use metal screw drivers to pry it out, you will damaged the painted surface.

Use same tools to gradually work the seal but into the cavity. Patience is the key here.

I borrowed a picture (I am lazy to document myself:devil) to show how it suppose to look like.

Not many people noticed the hinge seals because they are so inconspicuous behind the 5th wheel.

For older Gs, it is super important to check those hinge seals!

·
Registered
G class 400cdi MY2001
126 Posts
thanks for the tip, mine are quite gone too but the idea to remove the rear door stopped me from replacing.
so once you have removed that kind of washer the hinge pin will slide out and the door can be removed?

·
Registered
96 G300DT
1,964 Posts
thanks for the tip, mine are quite gone too but the idea to remove the rear door stopped me from replacing.
so once you have removed that kind of washer the hinge pin will slide out and the door can be removed?
No need to do anything with the door. The old seals are simply pulled out. Then you wiggle the new seals in from the outside. It takes a little poking and tugging to get them into place. Use plastic tools to prevent scratching the paint.

These seals need replacement about every 10 years. Do the plastic wiper spindle covers at the same time. For those, you mark the position of the wiper, remove wiper arm (nut at center), replace plastic cup, re-install.

·
Registered
04 G500, 08 Vantage Roadster
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like Alan said, the seals are slip-on because they have an opening so you don't have to remove the door. Tools that are helpful to remove the hard rubber are sharp-nose plier, toothpicks, small flat head screw drivers. Don't scratch the paint...Call your local MB to order, it actually only costs me $6 per piece.

·
Registered
G class 400cdi MY2001
126 Posts
ah now I got it, they are pre-cut, been angry with the body shop for over a year thinking they cut the seals being lazy to properly remove them. :devil

·
Registered
1999 G500, 1997 G300, 1986 300GD, 1983 280GE
316 Posts
They can be fiddlesome to put in dry. The second G that I did this on, I lubed the seal with WD40 and it cut the install time by 80% . From 25 min -> 5 min.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts