Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1980 240D
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my enginge finally wears out, it's only got 179k now, so it will be a long time so don't get excited yet or ban me, but has anyone ever dropped a small block v-8 in a 123, like a 240D, seems it would be the ultimate sleeper. yikes!

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
Here ya go, its been done before

http://benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1192676&posts=14&hl=w123+v8

BADBENZ!!!!

http://badbenz.com/badbenz/

I have also seen a page where some guy put a ford 302 in a 240d. I couldnt find the page.

A

·
0 Posts
yeah. get a motor from an original AMG 123 Coupe if u can. V8 Power!!

·
Registered
2005 w203, 2013 Town & Country
2,180 Posts
I didnt think that any w123 came with a V8...a I6 yes...but a V8?

a chevy is easier than a ford because of the oil pan / pick up...

it would be a nice sleeper...theres plenty of work to do with that ... but it can / has been done...
Jake

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
A 123d is a good idea; the stock front suspension, designed for the heavy all iron diesel, should be able to accommodate the V8. You know, a European market M116 3.8 L – which should be available in your part of the world – just might do. I think it’s easier to go from diesel to gas rather than gas to diesel. You should keep the glow plug light in the dash, btw.

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
Storm. - 7/2/2005 6:48 PM

Why would you make a point of leaving the glow plug light in the dash,... am i missing something?[xx(]
No reason, just thought it would be a good conversation starter allowing you to launch into a protracted dissertation as to the installation of a gas V8.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
jdc1244a - 7/3/2005 11:52 PM
No reason, just thought it would be a good conversation starter allowing you to launch into a protracted dissertation as to the installation of a gas V8.
You what what in the what now?

Seriously though I get your point, but if I told people here I converted a perfectly good diesel into a petrol V8 I'd probably get shot LOL!!!

·
Registered
300TE 4-Matic 300GD
330 Posts
Hey, Storm.

Are you on some kind of vacation, or something? I thought your location was London.

Regards

Geir

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
NordStern - 7/3/2005 3:48 PM

Hey, Storm.

Are you on some kind of vacation, or something? I thought your location was London.

Regards

Geir
Due to the nature of my work i tend to travel alot, though i was mainly in london for the birth of my son (I just sceduled my meetings & training aroung it)

Vacation,....my life is a vacation, I'm a father[8D]

·
Registered
V8 W123
398 Posts
I'm in the process now of putting a (MB) 5.0L into a W123 coupe. It fits, it is tight, and it is alot lighter than the diesel that came out. The car sits on the front springs about 2 inches higher than it did before. There is a ton of things to do, mostly related to the wiring that simply was not required for the diesel.
Here is a partial list:
shortened drive shaft/custom exhaust/different suspension springs/tank fuel strainer for gas/mount & wire elec fuel pump/ fabricate box near battery for idle speed control/ customize battery tray/customize (hammer) radiator area to accept 500SEL radiator/ change cable for 80 amp alternator/change brake booster/fabricate heat shields over steering joint & passenger footwell/custom air conditioner lines/modify power steering lines/change trans tailcone to drive the mechanical speedometer/fabricate box for fuel pump relay/locate,run,shorten,lengthen 4,000,000 (+/-) wires/provide for direct feeding oil pressure line/...............
Good luck. It is a journey. It has been a great project though. I started in Feb, and figured it'd take a year. Haven't done much thru the summer as it's too hot, and my daughter goes off to college soon, and we still like to spend time together.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts