Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 1984 300d and love it. But it has a hard time holding speed (ie, above 130kph) on the highway.
I changed all filters and had timing adjusted and bled it right back to the injectors. Is there a way of putting on a more powerful turbo????

Cheers

Andrew

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
I assume you mean you adjusted the valves – the fuel tank screen may be clogged. Try some algaecide in the fuel tank.

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Try increasing the boost on the turbo (adjust the spring), also before changing the turbo I'd advise you to look into fitting a large intercooler to lower the intake charge temperature (more power due to denser air). Just make sure you make a mark with tipex or some paint so that you know where the origianl setting was, just in case.

Another trick is to bypass the EGR or exhaust gas return with some blanking plates. This will again lower the intake temperature and allow the turbo to spool up more quickly. However the downside is that you will probably fail any sort of emissions test. (but this type of change can be reversed in 15 minutes).

Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts