Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82' Euro 240D 84' 300D 01' SLK320 6 Speed Sport!
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been driving my 84' 300D for the last week and a half finding all the bugs and dealing with them accordingly. I have only been pulled over once for having a headlight out, but that was because of a bad fuse box terminal connection. So now I have noticed something about the transmission, that is bothersome to me..(I know big suprise hugh?) It shifts through all the gears, which is good and it has that expected hard second shift, but when running it up a mountain pass this morning I noticed something else..When it kicks down to a lower gear, or I drop it down to "S" for a lower gear it seems like it is riding between two gears and cannot make up its mind. It almost gives a struggling/hesitant feeling and the RPMS are not going up. Its almost like the feeling that I am flooding or starving the engine of fuel. I would like to check some more of the vacuum valves for shifting, but I am wondering if its a fuel problem. I have tried to accelerate while going down hills or in the straights and it reaches a shaky point (same as up hill earlier) in the engine when I stomp on the gas pedal too much...hmmm??

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
It should not hunt between gears when dropped to S, it should drop one gear and stay there until you slow down quite a bit.

Do a fluid and filter change, also inspect the shifter bushings.

You may have a fuel issue, change filters and take note of any chunks in the primary, clear in line, filter. If there are some, you may have a clogged/clogging fuel tank strainer.
Do you have this problem with a full fuel tank?

·
Registered
82' Euro 240D 84' 300D 01' SLK320 6 Speed Sport!
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. I did change the trans filter and did flush and add new tranny fluid, while I was restoring the entire front end. I think your right, I think its a fuel problem or a turbo problem. This morning it was real bad and hesitated alot. So I stopped at Walmart and picked up some red Heet, which says its good for diesel engines. The real test will be the drive home from work tonight. I am keeping my fingers crossed that its not the turbo. Can that get out of adjustment??

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
Do a fuel filter change also, maybe a purge before.

The turbos are usually not a failure item. It does send a signal to the IP via a pressure line. Pull the banjo bolt on the intake manifold and inspect for clogging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts