Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E320 1993 Mustang 2003 VictoryV92
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past week or two, everytime I fuel up the benz, it seems like the starter stays engaged. If I turn it off and lightly put my foot on the accelerator while starting, it will run but will die if I release the accelerator. If I keep my foot on the accelerator while starting enough to keep an idle or more, it stays running but is rough. After a couple minutes it smooths out and all returns back to normal. Otherwise, this thing runs like a top with no other problems. It's only when I fuel. I don't allow the tank to get less than a quarter of a tank before fueling up. Anyone with ideas?

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Are you perhaps in the habit of topping your tank off? Never top off the fuel tank, since that can be a very expensive habit once the fuel vapor canister is contaminated.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually it's my wife that drives it. She says that she stops when the pump clicks off. You think the vapor canister is at fault? If so, where can I get another.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
If she stops filling when the pump clicks off the canister is not your problem. Just to be on the safe side, I hold the pump handle the whole time since their sensitivities can vary.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Is the CEL on? Did you check for any pending codes?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The CEL is not on. It's weird though. After you fill up, again I have been with her the past few times and she stops when the pump clicks off. But, once the gas cap is put on and you go to start the engine, the starter stays engaged until the engine seems to start, if you dont keep your foot on the throttle, the engine dies once you let off the accelerator. While I have my foot lightly pumping the throttle, the engine runs rough and slowly starts to smooth out. Once that happens, it sometimes has a slow throttle or acceleration response once in gear and driving. As you drive a short distance, the engine is smooth and response is normal until its time to fuel again. I was wondering if it could be a TPS. I am getting ready to replace the plugs and wires, not sure that would have anything to do with it.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Just because you don't have a CEL does not mean there are no pending codes. The first thing I would do is read what you might have. I don't know about the TPS but I doubt your plugs and/or wires would cause your symptoms.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts