Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1992 300D 2.5 Turbo that has gone 200 miles in the last 2 years (otherwise, in good condition though - just have too many cars to use them all). Starts easy, runs smooth, takes off from a start quickly (when first started), however, once driven for 5 to 10 minutes starts to feel like I'm dragging an anchor. Acceleration from a stop gets slow (even though the engine sounds like its really trying) and attempting to pass on the interstate makes you want to open the door and push with the left foot skateboard style to give it some help. Any thoughts on what might be a cause? I took it to the local shop and their answer was that "it's a diesel" and they told me that power was fine. I'm taking it in to another shop and would like to give them some ideas on what might be the issue. I was thinking fuel filters (maybe the tank filter) but why it runs so well and quick when first started baffles me.. Need help/ideas please. thanks!

Addition - car does have roughly 250,000 miles on it, but has always been reliable and an amazing car to own. This sluggishness is out of character. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
In addition to potential fuel starvation, perhaps the vacuum operated emissions controls are causing an error and the system is cutting boost? Is it always sluggish once warmed up? Mine would cut boost randomly, but I suppose it could depend on the fault.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe. Any guidance on testing this? Replaced all the fuel filters/screen ran diesel purge through.. and it was absolutely more responsive once started and working really well! Then within 5 minutes same issue sluggish and disappointment. No idea what's going on. Then stopped at the gas station for fuel, filled it up and noticed that on start up it was really peppy out of the gas station (for about a traffic light) then got sluggish again. Sigh.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Like others said, try the gas tank screen/strainer. Mine was sluggish too until I adjusted the vacuum modulator on my transmission (shifts were too soft)...then the car got peppy again. It seemed like the turbo wasn't engaging at that time. Not sure how related, but that's what fixed mine.

·
Registered
16,759 Posts
Maybe. Any guidance on testing this? Replaced all the fuel filters/screen ran diesel purge through.. and it was absolutely more responsive once started and working really well! Then within 5 minutes same issue sluggish and disappointment. ...
Sounds like a classic case of algae contamination. You're gonna have to pull the tank and have it chemically cleaned out to kill all the bacterial growth. See link

1 - 6 of 6 Posts