Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has fallen in love with the 560 SL and are considering the purchase of a 1988 model. She has looked at several and noticed that a couple have had a rear 'rumble' type seat behind the driver/passenger. Was this a Mercedez option or aftermark add-on? Thanks for any insite you can provide.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I, too, have a 107 model. As far as I know, the back seat was an aftermarket add-on. I personally would think twice about installing. The car was not designed for it. If it were, Mercedes would have installed them as original equipment.<br> <br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't know about the USA, but the rear seat was a standard option in Europe. But they are not very practical at all. I have mine folded down most of the time, and I've only ever carried passengers in it twice - and none of them would want to do it again.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Malc:<br> <br> You might be right about Eruo, however, the US has always been more safety minded. <br> <br> Bill, just out of curiosity, why would you want the back seat anyway? Who would want to squeeze back there?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bill, if you're interested in adding a jump seat, pay a quick visit to our Website. A nice pic and complete price list are readily available. Keep in mind that the seat isn't good for much other than carting toddlers around. The seats come equipped with lap belts.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Before I but any 'toddlers' of mine in an aftermarket rear seat, I would definitely research safety first.<br> <br> I must admit, the rear seat does look intriguing. Good eye catcher, but I can not see the practicality. Then again, an SL is an eye catcher in itself!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have had folks calling up for a rear seat or rear belts because they've been driving their children around in these cars. Say what you will -- I believe that placing children in a seat with lap belts is much safer than simply throwing them behind the front seats and hoping they don't hit a bump. Obviously, the children would be better off in a different vehicle altogether...

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ron, <br> <br> I am sure you have a quality product. It was not my intent to express otherwise. I am merely voicing my own safety concerns. And you are right when you say: “Obviously, the children would be better off in a different vehicle altogether...�<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought a 450SL in February. My wife has never ridden in it. No one to baby sit the 2 year old. I'm thinking that the back area would be great to put two toddlers. In California, children up to 60lbs. and maybe 6 years old need to be in a child or booster seat. So I'm thinking that I could buy the booster seats and not the aftermarket seat which costs $400. I just need the seatbelts. However, I don't want to move forward until someone has engineered the safety of such a configuration. Has anyone figure this out? Or perhaps, the aftermarket jump seat works instead of the required booster seat?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have researched this for some time as I too wish to add a rear seat into my 380sl and have found that most 560sl delivered in Australia had the rear seat as standard. Along with this were seat belts. If you look under the wood shelf, you will see seat belt mounting holes as well.<br> <br> The standard Carpet mat sets that can be purchased from Mercedes for the 1971-1990 series (107) come with rear carpets that slide in under the two front seats perfectly.<br> <br> I guess the seats are not very practical but what convertable seats are, the SEC's of the same vintage had as much room in them and came standard with the seat.<br> <br> Cheers

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Jamie,<br> <br> I do see 2 brackets with a relatively small hole in the center below the wood shelf. Do you have a picture or can you describe how the seat belts attach to these?<br> <br> -Jeff

1 - 11 of 11 Posts