Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'70 280S-'73 450SLC-'81 380SL-'84 500SEC Euro-'92 300SL24-'95 E320
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '84 500sec Euro with SLS. How is the headlight adjust function supposed to work? I can't tell if mine does or not. Thank you
dws

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Here it is:

Put it on the circuit that has the A/C line with the vacuum bottle, not the instrument cluster one. That way the lights stay up when vac goes away during hard accel.

Attachments

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
First of all, does your Euro car still have Euro headlights or has it been federalized with US-spec lights? If US-spec lights, the above won't work as they don't have that function.

·
Registered
'70 280S-'73 450SLC-'81 380SL-'84 500SEC Euro-'92 300SL24-'95 E320
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lights are still Euro. Should this function at idle or at speed or both?
dws

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
It should function if the car is turned on (idle or at speed). Make sure the vacuum line is properly attached. To see if the function works, drive up to about 6 feet from a wall and park the car (running). Adjust the scroll and you should hear a hissing sound (vacuum working) and see the lights adjust/point up and down. If you don't hear a hissing sound, then that means there's no vacuum going to the line.

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
I have an '84 500sec Euro with SLS. How is the headlight adjust function supposed to work? I can't tell if mine does or not. Thank you
dws
There is no headlight adjustment function on your rare SLS gen I SEC. If it is 4 way adjustable suspension you will have a knob to either pull or push in to adjust your suspension. That knob is located exactly where the headlight adjustment roll-knob would be if it were necessary to have that function, but since your ride height is adjustable (and self levels itself) the headlight beam will always be in the correct position no matter what load you have in your car, thus no need to manually adjust the headlights.

·
Mercedes
9,043 Posts
kodiak, not quite. That holds true on the pneumatic suspensions (like on W116 6.9's) since they never had a leveling switch for lights, but cars that came with SLS did in fact have the option.
They function in the exact same way, but visually look different with the markings on the outside.

The reason that the switch equipped with SLS starts off with 1 at the top, is that in order for SLS to engage, it needs approximately 120kg's (about 265 lbs) of weight or so to actually engage. If the individual(s) in the back do not engage the SLS it will be enough to have the car pointed up just slightly.

·
Registered
'84 500 SEC Euro 040 black Lorinser 2005 sl500
2,516 Posts
Yep Doc, you are right about the terminology but I was simply making it simple calling the pneumatic system "SLS" since that is what the OP stated and which you have pointed out is incorrect. My point is, if he has a "push-pull" knob in place of where the "roller" knob for headlight adjustment, he will not even have adjustable headlights. I guess my point was misguided by my using the wrong term. Lots of "pneumatic" systems just like the w116's have shown up on early euro 126's with no adjustment available for the headlights.

I will make sure to use the "pneumatic" term instead of the incorrect "SLS" term from now on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts