Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
It's a mineral-based hydraulic oil. Febi sells one version, and I think there's others. There are folks here who've used tractor hydraulic oil (John Deere) without issue. I get mine from AutohausAZ or BMA.

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

and please start using the search function.....

·
Registered
1987 560 SEC
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

And Guys,

I ALWAYS use the search search function. But after 30 minutes of searching unrelevant posts and pages of comments only to require the answer to a simple question is getting crazy.

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
It's a mineral-based hydraulic oil. Febi sells one version, and I think there's others. There are folks here who've used tractor hydraulic oil (John Deere) without issue. I get mine from AutohausAZ or BMA.

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

and please start using the search function.....
You can also get it at the dealer. I have a bottle and will upload a photo (with Part number) when I get home. From my understanding, Febi makes the oil and bottles it for MB. I could be wrong, but I believe I seen it posted somewhere.

Mike

·
Registered
'87 560SEC: '86 AMG 560SEC: '87 560SEL - PAST: Heckflosse 190 & 230S
1,479 Posts

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,670 Posts
Didn't jhodg5ck aka Jonathan look into John Deere fluid?

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
You can also get it at the dealer. I have a bottle and will upload a photo (with Part number) when I get home. From my understanding, Febi makes the oil and bottles it for MB. I could be wrong, but I believe I seen it posted somewhere.

Mike
Here is a photo of the front and back of the oil bottle I have. The back has the MB part number under the bar code. Also look for FEBI ZH-M fluid should also do the trick. The bottle looks different but it's the same stuff.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
1987 SEC 560 43,000 miles. Origionally sold in Hong Kong.
141 Posts
What we really need is to know if there is something so special about the benz oil that we HAVE to use it or damage will occurr.

I have to pay $65 per litre from my benz dealer - thats outrageous. I would think outo trans fluid would get just as hard a life as strut fluid. Why the difference?

Mustang

·
Registered
560 SEC AMG Widebody, 560 SEC AMG, W124 500E, W123 280CE, W123 200, R107-500SL
127 Posts
Its around £8 GBP a litre from the dealer, the whole system only takes a couple of litres so I wouldnt skimp on this as I have heard some horror stories of the wrong oil causing damage.

·
Registered
'88 560 SEL
35 Posts
SLS Oil

After searching various M/B forums, it seems to be a mineral oil based hydraulic oil. It is my understanding a petroleum based oil will attack the rubber membrane in the accumulators causing them to fail.
I've read that Jonathon of blueridgemb uses John Deere Hydraulic oil.
Not sure if here or another Benz forum.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
40,670 Posts
After searching various M/B forums, it seems to be a mineral oil based hydraulic oil. It is my understanding a petroleum based oil will attack the rubber membrane in the accumulators causing them to fail.
I've read that Jonathon of blueridgemb uses John Deere Hydraulic oil.
Not sure if here or another Benz forum.
Its somewhere in the forum archive. Check the 'Welcome...' announcement on top of the forum re search.

·
Registered
1989 560SEC
2,056 Posts
Its around £8 GBP a litre from the dealer, the whole system only takes a couple of litres so I wouldnt skimp on this as I have heard some horror stories of the wrong oil causing damage.
+1. I think I paid $20US/quart.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts