Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1990 560SEL, Optimus Black Pearl baby !
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm looking for a 300sel to supplement my 560sel. I have found a 300sel and currently negotiating to buy it. It is well specced with heated electric seats front/rear, rear recliner, rear window shade, etc.

I also have a 560sel parts car that has rear SLS on it.

- Can folks advise on what/how to convert a 300sel to SLS
- Is there a parts list that I need to look at when taking stuff off the 560
- Need an SLS pump adapter for the m103?

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,852 Posts
This is my kind of project! Everyone else wants to eliminate their SLS.

I think if you have access to the MB Electronic Parts Catalog EPC-net Online that will go a long way in showing you all of the parts you will need, it also will serve as a assembly guide of sorts.

That's the best advice I have, good luck!

·
Registered
'82 Euro 500SEL, '85 Euro 500SEC AMG WB Cabriolet,'86 Euro 500SEC RUF
9,498 Posts
Why Bother? It's a PITA job and for what? SLS rear suspension?
All of the 560 suspension would have to be changed into the 300SEL as none of the NON SLS suspension parts are the same. Don't know if the subframes are compatable between the two cars (years) you have or not, but if they are not, the subframes will not match up. Swapping out the sub frames would be the easiest to do to get all of the SLS part in one fell swoop, but still a PITA Job.

Better to go Bilstien Comforts all around and not have to fool with the SLS at all.

Not a fan of SLS and am glad none of my cars have it, nor will they ever in the future if I can help it.
Took changing out the high pressure hose in a 1989 560SEL to prove to me that it isn't worth the bother.

·
Super Moderator
1986/1990 W126
20,259 Posts
That does sound an unusually good spec for a 300. Well done. Have to say I like the idea of SLS. Having had my car scraping its arse enough time on camping trips and when full of passengers, it sounds good to me.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sold on SLS period. It is a fairly simple system from what I've seen underneath my parts 560 and my driver 560. Both the parts car and the 300 are Gen II. It's a system that has serious manufacturer dollars spent on it and it works well, so I have faith in it.

Folks can have trouble with it and that is understandable. They do require parts replacement from time to time. I replaced the SLS shocks on my 1988 Cosworth when I had it. The guys at the independant were trying to talk me out of it because I could have had 4 new springs and shocks for the price of two SLS shocks !

Changing subframes could be an idea as it should eliminate any guesswork.

so, I'm keen on doing this job. I just need to know how the SLS pump can be driven from a M103.

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 1993 S420, 1990 420 SEL, 1985 500SE, 1994 Toyota Supra Aerotop
761 Posts
Hi, I can help out, I just finished renovating my system. Here's a diagram of what I was after at the time and should have a lot of the parts needed (there are a lot for a total conversion!) but if you have the system and can move it over I think the only thing you need would be the pump to engine drive adapter and some new seals. You can get re-seal kits for the level controller (check the peachparts forum) and it's pretty easy to R&R for proper function. Also see about new seals and o-rings for the pump and reservoir so no leaking.

- Actually, the below diagram is for 1st generation cars, this link here is what you need to check out for all the gen2 diagrams and part numbers:
SPRINGS,SUSPENSION AND HYDRAULICS íà Mercedes 300 SEL USA (126.025)

Good luck!

Text Line art Font Line Organism

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks harlz that helps.

So how can the SLS pump be driven from the m103 motor? As far as I know no non Gen I or II V8's had SLS soadapter parts would not be available off the shelf.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1990 500SL, 1986 500SEC
1,852 Posts
There was a Euro Gen II 300 (SE/SEL) on Craigslist here back in the summer I believe that had SLS so I think all you need is to remove the blocking plate on the engine and fit the coupling and pump.

·
Registered
2004 SL500, 1993 S420, 1990 420 SEL, 1985 500SE, 1994 Toyota Supra Aerotop
761 Posts
(according to the service manual) On engine 103 the pressure oil pump and the power steering pump are a single unit, the 'tandem pump'. So it looks like you would need to track that down before you could get it happening. You'd also need the correct high pressure hose as well, or have one made up.

Check page 168 of the W126 chassis manual

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok great, thanks for the info guys. I'm leaning towards just installing airshocks and hardlining a small compressor in the trunk to keep the back end at the level I want.

Anyone here done this? I've had airshocks on VW Beetles before but unsure of using these on a heavy w126.

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
Air shocks used to be common as on old falcons and the like with a valve for adjustment using then tyre pump at the gassy
You should have no probs finding a set that will cope with the weight

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Air shocks used to be common as on old falcons and the like with a valve for adjustment using then tyre pump at the gassy
You should have no probs finding a set that will cope with the weight
ah yes that's true. The good ol days of the jacked up Mad Max look alike sixes and eights. Drivers usually had mullets, black jeans and a blonde or two riding with them...heh heh heh.

I got rid of my mullet and Ford Falcon 15 years ago....these days those blondes are looking a bit worn out !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.