Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How hard would it be to attach 89-91 front door panels with the stock speakers? I want more "fill" in the sound system of the car. I so far have a sub, 6x9s and the dash speakers.

Aswell are the knee bolsters from a later car with them able to go into mine?

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
My 1988 300sel has front door speakers and driver's knee bolsters. It doesn't have to be a 1991 to have front door speakers, but the 1989+ have the pleated inner door panels, while the 1988 has the older MBtex material.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Snibble I think you have those speakers. I have a sub for bass but would like those to add more "fill" of sound in the car...how are they?

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
Benzonline - 4/30/2005 9:24 AM

Snibble I think you have those speakers. I have a sub for bass but would like those to add more "fill" of sound in the car...how are they?
They're OK I guess... I'm not really an audiophile, but I find the system not too bad. If I tweak the head unit well, I can get some decent(for me) bass upfront.

·
Registered
1986 420SEL
5 Posts
I've been thinking about doing this because I *really* need that fill in sound. However I haven't found new door panels yet. I was thinking about just cutting into the old ones down on the corner that opens (where the stock ones are on the '91 I beleive). Then just use some low profile components and a speaker baffle to protect it. It seems like the door panel would be rigid enough to support this.

Thoughts?

·
Mercedes
9,038 Posts
jwhazel - 4/30/2005 10:27 AM

I've been thinking about doing this because I *really* need that fill in sound. However I haven't found new door panels yet. I was thinking about just cutting into the old ones down on the corner that opens (where the stock ones are on the '91 I beleive). Then just use some low profile components and a speaker baffle to protect it. It seems like the door panel would be rigid enough to support this.

Thoughts?
Just find 1988-1991 front door panels. Look at some of the junkyard online venders and they will have these.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll probably get the audio shop to do this but would it be difficult to connect these door speakers to my head unit?

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
If you want to improve your sound stage Dramaticly, flush mount some 1 inch tweets in your B pillars. Made the biggest difference of any of the mods I did to my SEL. I was running a Clarion HX D10 to MB Q 6.5's in the rear, w/ 4 1/4 Kappa's up front w/ the 1 inch tweets in said B pillar. Out the crossovers in the spare hat tray well. Powered them w/ a JL 300X4 and ran an infinity bass link 10 inch woofer w/ a passive radiator powered by it's own 200w class D (space was a Major concern).

If anyone would like some picutes they're sitting on my hard drive somewhere!

But before you go spending some decent $$ on panels, try that tweeter re-location, you'll be Most pleased.

Jonathan

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
Benzonline - 4/30/2005 11:03 AM

I'll probably get the audio shop to do this but would it be difficult to connect these door speakers to my head unit?
How many speakers do you plan on running off your head unit? The internal amps are not terribly efficent.. I Might consider running just the fronts off the head unit but you should really have external amplification if you want the rest of it to sound Sharp.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking about that aswell. The new Pioneer head unit is 50wx4 and is so far running the 2 4x6's and 2 6x9's aswell as sending a signal to the sub which is independantly powered with its own amp.

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
What's the RMS on your head unit? It Might make 50 watts per channel once in it's life If it's lucky..it's just the nature of head unit amps and manufacture marketing to rate them at peak output.

Switch to external amps and you will be Most pleased. JL makes a good product..I have also heard rave reviews about MB Quarts new line of amps..namely the Q series.

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im not sure how much RMS it has but the bass levels for all speakers except the sub are set low so it doesnt need crazy crazy power....its very loud!

·
Registered
86 420 sel,
162 Posts
i sprung for a good used set of panels for my car, i like them better than the old once. when it comes to install speakers, we took the original door speakers out of the housing ^ replaced them w/ some alphasonic
best sound i ever had, but not cheep.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jako how was the wiring? Hard to do? I beleive u have to drill.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts