Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
V280 LPG 2000
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For as long as I've had my V280 it has been slow to start after it's been standing for 8 hours or so. It takes about 3 seconds and then runs fine. It also catches right away if it's been left for a shorter amount of time. I had replaced the fuel filter but had pretty much decided to live with it.

This week, as I've had problems with the LPG, I've been filling the petrol tank rather than leaving it at about 1/8 full and the problem has dissappeared! It could just be a coincidence so I'll run the tank down and see if the problem reoccurrs.

Assuming the slow start does only happen when the tank is low/not full and it's been left standing for 8+ hours, does anyone have any thoughts as to why this would happen?

Ta,

J

·
Registered
2000 Vito 108 cdi
91 Posts
not sure if this helps but sometimes when I would drive my van into the garden and park overnight, rather than reverse in as i normally would, i would sometimes have trouble starting the van the next day. Never noticed if there was any correlation with how full the tank was but I suspected a slight slope towards the rear of the van, not much of a slope but still a slope. I thought that this was making the fuel in the lines flow back toward the tank over the few hours the van was parked, starting was never a problem if I had backed in.

·
Registered
V280 LPG 2000
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's parked on the flat. If the problem returns as the tank empties I'll try jacking up the rear one night. Thanks.

If the fuel is returning to the tank then air must be getting into the pipes to replace it. Would this indicate a tiny leak in the system?

·
Registered
2000 Vito 108 cdi
91 Posts
I thought my van was on the flat also as the slope was very slight. I never found any evidence of a leak but did find some air bubbles in the fuel line sometimes, check the connections at the fuel filter.
Have someone start the van and wacth the lines.
A new jubilee clip on the left solved my air bubble issue.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi
When you refilled back to full was there a pressure release on removing the fuel cap. I have had this sympton when the tank breather is not working correctly causing the tank to pressure hence more effot to pump fuel.

Good Luck

·
Registered
V280 LPG 2000
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi
When you refilled back to full was there a pressure release on removing the fuel cap. I have had this sympton when the tank breather is not working correctly causing the tank to pressure hence more effot to pump fuel.

Good Luck
Actually, yes! I think you are on to something here. Will check it out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
V280 LPG 2000
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As the tank emptied starting got slower and slower until by the time it was about 1/8th full starting was taking about 3 seconds again.

I tried opening the fuel cap before starting but that did not help. I also tried removing it before stopping the engine and replacing it before leaving it standing - also no change.

I'm going travelling in it so will see how it behaves when parked on different inclines.

Anyone got any other ideas?

Maybe I should just ignore it or keep the tank full.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts