Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'88 560 SEL , 01 540i
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone says "search" , I did, and am pretty familiar with the SLS system based on forum posts, but would still like some advice on the first place to start throwing money at.

Symptoms: SLS leaks slowly, car rides great. I average 1 800ml bottle of febi hydro oil a month. Rear accumulators are ~1.5 years old.

Whats the most obvious place to start?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1993 300TE, 1995 E320 Wagon
1,895 Posts
First question I have is where is the leak (or where does it appear to come from)? Is it the pump/front of the engine? The low pressure hose from the bottom of the bottle to the pump? Or below one side/both sides at the rear? Can you see oil on either of the rams?

I'd also check the high pressure hose, which runs down the passenger side of the oil pan-- a PITA to replace (I had it done at a mechanic's for about $250 about five months ago).

I picked up two pumps at the JY about two weeks ago-- I am in the process of rebuilding them a la mramay-- I need to find the proper viton o-rings. The pumps are pretty simple in design-- and I'm sure a rebuilt one will stop my very slow leak.I'll be selling them fairly reasonably when they get done (I'm also replacing my pump).

·
Registered
'88 560 SEL , 01 540i
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what you say, it sounds like mine might be coming from the high pressure hose, as occasionally I will see smoke rising from under the hood on the passenger side (probably oil splashing the manifold). Other than that no obvious leaks. Will jack the car up this week and see what I can find. Thanks.

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes-Benz S500
213 Posts
First question I have is where is the leak (or where does it appear to come from)? Is it the pump/front of the engine? The low pressure hose from the bottom of the bottle to the pump? Or below one side/both sides at the rear? Can you see oil on either of the rams?

I'd also check the high pressure hose, which runs down the passenger side of the oil pan-- a PITA to replace (I had it done at a mechanic's for about $250 about five months ago).

I picked up two pumps at the JY about two weeks ago-- I am in the process of rebuilding them a la mramay-- I need to find the proper viton o-rings. The pumps are pretty simple in design-- and I'm sure a rebuilt one will stop my very slow leak.I'll be selling them fairly reasonably when they get done (I'm also replacing my pump).

I have a leack from the reserve can and when the same hose clamps on to the metal pipe on the way to the pump. I looked at the sites they sell 5ft minimum. where can I get 2ft? thats probably all Ill need.??
thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts