Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1985 380SL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 85 380sl last spring. It's in great shape and I love it. I've been reading a lot of the forums and useful links but I haven't seen anyone else complaining of the loud sound of gas sloshing around in the gas tank. Does anyone else hear it and do you find it as irritating as I do?

I have heard the sound at all levels of "fullness"

I can't believe that such a quality car didn't have some kind of soundproofing. If this is not supposed to be a problem, has anyone installed any type of soundproofing to deaden the noise?

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,336 Posts
...... has anyone installed any type of soundproofing to deaden the noise?
Yes...it's called a sound system......but even without, I haven't heard any sloshing.

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,178 Posts
I just bought my 85 380sl last spring. It's in great shape and I love it. I've been reading a lot of the forums and useful links but I haven't seen anyone else complaining of the loud sound of gas sloshing around in the gas tank. Does anyone else hear it and do you find it as irritating as I do?

I can't believe that such a quality car didn't have some kind of soundproofing. If this is not supposed to be a problem, has anyone installed any type of soundproofing to deaden the noise?

I have never heard any gas sloshing. Are you sure it is the gas? Have you had a look at your spare tire lately? Maybe water in there sloshing around? There should be a drain, but maybe it is blocked?

BTW Nobby - I can't see the point of a sound system in this car - I can hardly hear my radio except if the hard top is on, which it never is.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,336 Posts
I
BTW Nobby - I can't see the point of a sound system in this car - I can hardly hear my radio except if the hard top is on, which it never is.
That's because you don't HAVE a sound system. Unfortunately, if can actually hear it...then you can see it as well.
Exhibit A...there is a 10" sub under the faux parcel shelf.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,920 Posts

Raise the burble !/4 octave, sharp, Replace original noise insulation properly.Remember, you will squat, no matter what.. Have fun now.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts
canuckf said:
www said:
I have never heard any gas sloshing.

My sister's '85 does the same as canuck's. It seems there was a lot of weight reduction starting in about 1980. I think that may explain why you early modelers don't hear the tank. Nobby's theory appears sound....

·
Premium Member
'72 350SL, '85 300D, '98 E320, '19 Subaru Outback (sold '14 GLK250)
10,178 Posts
That's because you don't HAVE a sound system. Unfortunately, if can actually hear it...then you can see it as well.
Exhibit A...there is a 10" sub under the faux parcel shelf.....
A sub?? An Untersee(t)boot??

I never got beyond stereo, but my computer has a big box and two small speakers, so maybe I have a sub?

I am thinking about installing a new radio while I have the console out. But, I don't want one of those newfangled ones with neon lights etc. I put one on my boat and it lights up the whole cabin.

·
Registered
1986 560 SL
7,315 Posts
Graham, I don't think you can buy a modern radio without the neon lightshow. I have searched for a plain old plug-in knob-controlled AM/FM radio for my workshop, with no luck. I will have to resort to garage sales.

·
Registered
71 280se 3.5 Cab, 06 C230, 06 ML350
628 Posts

·
Registered
71 280se 3.5 Cab, 06 C230, 06 ML350
628 Posts
Don't notice on my '86 either but there must have been enough of a "outcry" that they would make a change.

I say put the top down, crank-up the tunes and drive 55+ and you won't hear a sloshing either :D

·
Registered
1985 380SL
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, everybody. All of the replies are interesting. At least I am not alone or imagining it, or if I am imagining it at least I have some company in my hallucinations.

Cheers.

keith

·
Registered
1987 560 SL
13 Posts
Slosh

8 years after this thread was started (almost to the day)...

I just bought a 1987 560SL and am surprised by the sloshing sound I can hear from the gas tank. It is most noticeable at slow speeds when braking. For example driving in a parking lot and slowing for speed humps or stop signs.

When driving at regular speeds I can't hear it.

I'm amazed this was acceptable when the car was sold new for so much money back in the day. Anyway this is not going to stop me from enjoying this great car!

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,789 Posts
Normal. Sometimes I hear sloshing gasoline in both my 380SL and my 560SL.

·
Registered
1984 380SL
2,309 Posts
Dang it, now I have to go listen for it, never heard a thing back there. But then I like to crank the tunes...have Small Faces Greatest Hits in there right now, wonderful 60's acid rock.

·
Registered
86 560SL
1,243 Posts
8 years after this thread was started (almost to the day)...

I just bought a 1987 560SL and am surprised by the sloshing sound I can hear from the gas tank. It is most noticeable at slow speeds when braking. For example driving in a parking lot and slowing for speed humps or stop signs.

When driving at regular speeds I can't hear it.

I'm amazed this was acceptable when the car was sold new for so much money back in the day. Anyway this is not going to stop me from enjoying this great car!
The sloshing sound is a backup in case the fuel gauge fails.

·
Registered
1989 560SL & 1987 560SL
460 Posts
Old thread awakened: We have three 560sl cars in the family.. Only one has the dreaded gas tank sloshing sounds... Has anybody ever figured out why some r107s do the gas slosh--and some don't? Just curious if there is any way to insulate or deaden the sound.

Sorry to beat a dead horse---or slosh an old tank.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
6,789 Posts

·
Registered
1984 380SL
509 Posts
It may be an old thread but it's something I had wondered about in my 380sl but never got around to searching on the forum. Once I learned of the gas tank placement it all made sense to me. Fwiw when I was looking at ragtops I was also considering Jags (glad I didn't go that route although they are pretty). I recall that there was an issue with the baffles in the gas tank, but can't recall specifics.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts