Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG - Blk
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seiously considering changing from my 2002 M3 to a 2005 SLK55. Anyone have any opinions on this? What's the average order/wait time these days? I love the M3, but the time is right to make a change. The biggest drawback I can see on the 55 is the lack of a manual tranny. Any thoughts on that issue?
Thanks! .. and Ride ON!

/\/\3eee

·
Registered
C55, 745Li, Elgrand
98 Posts
Well, both of them are great cars. But I think since u are wanting to make a change, definitly a SLK55. The SLK55 is good looking, I am driving a C55, both those engines are the same, I just love the power that I get from it. And also, SLK had been rated as the best roadster for 2004, I don't think you would regret about switching it. With the 55 engine under the hood, you will like it a lot.

Good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
The wait time is long, but you might find some on dealer lots. Shop around.

The SLK is quite a different car to the M3. It's more powerful and faster then the E36/E46, and it is a 'roadster', i.e. an open top two seater.

Unless your M3 was a convertible, the change in cars will be quite different.

·
Registered
'14 CLS63 AMG S, '10 GLK350, '03 SL5000
289 Posts
I've owned a '95 E36 M3 (and 6 other BMWs) and had considered a new E46 M3 before buying the SLK55. But BMW has a service action to replace rod bearings on 20,000 M3 S54 engines! I'm not convinced that BMW has this problem under control.

Near the limits, the current M3 likely will be a bit quicker on the track and it has a rear seat and large trunk. But the SLK55 has the versatility of the retractable hardtop, a wonderful V8 and versatile, smooth transmission.

The next generation M3 is due soon with a 400 hp V8 and eventually MB will likely upgrade the SLK's V8 to a 4-valver.

Oh, dear, what to do? Making this decision is what one of my former bosses referred to as a "High-class Problem."

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG - Blk
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nahhhhh... I don't really view this as a problem at all. Believe me, I am grateful that I can have a decision like this to make.

Thanks to all for your valuable input. Can anyone here speak to the AMG automatic transmission versus the thrill of hand and foot driving?? Is the automatic as thrilling or will I miss the clutching?

Thanks Again!!
/\/\3eee

·
Registered
C55, 745Li, Elgrand
98 Posts
I really like the speedshift on the AMG. I don't think you will have a problem adapting to it. The transmission is really well made. I used like to drive stick shift cars, but after I tried this speedshift, I like to drive a car like this more, its more comfortable. But it is still a very enjoyable car.

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
237 Posts
I traded in my E46 M3 (SMG) for the SLK55 and I shall have it within a week. I am sure that I will miss the M3, especially the SGM transmission but I am also 100% sure that I will be loving the SLK55.
Two different, fast animals!!

Cheers

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
You have to consider one big thing when moving from an M3 SMG to an SLK55... the M3 could be driven (and is better off) in manual mode while the SLK55 is an automatic and should remain that way ALWAYS. The manual mode of the SLK's 7G auto is 99% useless. The 7G is much worse at pretending to be a manual than the SMG2 is at prentending to be an automatic. That aside, the 7G auto performs remarkably well at shifting and is definitely among the best in the business. Do I miss having a clutch and rowing my own? Sure I do... but there are plenty of other things the SLK55 can do that makes up for it. That is all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts