Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
F360,SLK55,Celica
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the waiting list for the SLK55, hopefully for a July delivery (June production). I'm wondering about the shifting options.

Originally I wanted to get a manual transmission but that, unfortunately, isn't available in the 55.

I was curious, however, if there is a manual shifting option on the auto "stick." I know that there is such an option on the steering wheel (the Touch Shift) but I was wondering if there was also one on the stick (left/right tapping?). I've been trying to track this down (and know that some other MBs have both) but haven't seen anything definitive on the SLK55.

For whatever reason, I actually prefer having it on the stick than the steering wheel. Maybe it's an affinity to the traditional manual shifters. I have a 360 Modena with the F-1 paddle shifts so yes I'm sure I like them on the stick. Drove my dad's TL and it wasn't as bad as I thought driving the automatic with the manual override on the stick. Also feel in love with the nav unit on the TL.

Sunny

·
Registered
F360,SLK55,Celica
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm in Canada by the way in case there are differences between countries.

Thx.

Sunny

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
664 Posts
Yes it does.

shirai - 5/14/2005 6:48 AM

I'm on the waiting list for the SLK55, hopefully for a July delivery (June production). I'm wondering about the shifting options.

Originally I wanted to get a manual transmission but that, unfortunately, isn't available in the 55.

I was curious, however, if there is a manual shifting option on the auto "stick." I know that there is such an option on the steering wheel (the Touch Shift) but I was wondering if there was also one on the stick (left/right tapping?). I've been trying to track this down (and know that some other MBs have both) but haven't seen anything definitive on the SLK55.

For whatever reason, I actually prefer having it on the stick than the steering wheel. Maybe it's an affinity to the traditional manual shifters. I have a 360 Modena with the F-1 paddle shifts so yes I'm sure I like them on the stick. Drove my dad's TL and it wasn't as bad as I thought driving the automatic with the manual override on the stick. Also feel in love with the nav unit on the TL.

Sunny

·
Registered
F360,SLK55,Celica
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks ron. Thanks fred.

Can't wait to be part of the SLK club. Perfect sports car for Vancouver with its unpredictable weather.

Sunny

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
Yes, as people have stated left/right on the stick is down/up, like the button (left on steering wheel is down, in the SLK55).

Additionally, has some other functions, after in a "manual" gear, hold to the right for 1 second (or right button) and it goes back to full auto (i.e. "D"). Hold to the left for 1 sec and goes to "optimum gear" for the current speed. So if your loafing (i.e. not accelerating) at say 45mph, hold to the left for 1 second it jumps straight down to 3rd. You don't have to pop it 4 times.

Additionally there are 3 overall "modes". C for comfort (shifts at lower rpms, starts in 2nd gear), S for Sport, and then M for Manual. With M you CAN go over redline.

I agree, I can't get used to the steering wheel buttons, that just not where I've learned to put my hands. My left hand is at the top of the wheel, and my right is on the shifter (if not fiddling with Nav buttons or Radio buttons, etc.).

·
Registered
slk32
103 Posts
shirai - 5/14/2005 10:52 AM

Thanks ron. Thanks fred.

Can't wait to be part of the SLK club. Perfect sports car for Vancouver with its unpredictable weather.

Sunny
shirai!! r u from portmoody?? cuz im from portmoody too :| i dont see your modena around though :| u should drive it more often!

·
Registered
SLK350 AMG Sport
334 Posts
bloflin - 5/16/2005 6:52 PM

Additionally, has some other functions, after in a "manual" gear, hold to the right for 1 second (or right button) and it goes back to full auto (i.e. "D"). Hold to the left for 1 sec and goes to "optimum gear" for the current speed. So if your loafing (i.e. not accelerating) at say 45mph, hold to the left for 1 second it jumps straight down to 3rd. You don't have to pop it 4 times.
The SLK350 does the same thing with the 7G. Also the "AMG" sport package has buttons on the wheel but it sounds like they operate differently than the 55. Both buttons (left and right) have an up and down side. Push toward the steering shaft and it downshifts. Push towards the outside of the wheel and it upshifts. If find these useful for holding gears.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
Snowball - 5/17/2005 9:27 AM

The SLK350 does the same thing with the 7G. Also the "AMG" sport package has buttons on the wheel but it sounds like they operate differently than the 55. Both buttons (left and right) have an up and down side. Push toward the steering shaft and it downshifts. Push towards the outside of the wheel and it upshifts. If find these useful for holding gears.
Yes, on SLK55, left button behind steering wheel is down, right side is up. Not sure why, this forces you to have both hands on the wheel. I don't drive that way. I would have prefered a toggle like on the Sport pkg on the SLk350.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts