Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Orion Blue SLK350
108 Posts
bigciti - 2/13/2005 8:25 AM

Not the coolest until they(MB)offer a 6spd. manual
Oh, puhleeze. If you're a huge MT fan, great, go for it (or not, in this case, since it's unavailable). But a lot of folks feel that coolness is not strictly defined by whether you're manually shifting or not. Particularly when you're talking about an auto with the sophistication of the SLK's. I, too, used to be a real purist and after seeing what the 7-speed can do, I'm a definite convert. For those wonderful windy roads where I really want a bit more control, I still have that option.

I was hesitant to post this, since I didn't want this to degrade into an auto vs. manual brouhaha, but been reading your posts suggesting that somehow the value of an non-MT SLK will be diminished somehow and am afraid I couldn't disagree more.

Jerry

·
Registered
06 M5, 07 RS4, 07 ML63
654 Posts
Yes, the 7G auto is great. I'm coming from 6-speed manuals on both an Audi and Acura (one of the best shifters in the biz) and I do not miss them one bit. These days, none of my cars have a manual transmission. In the unlikely event that they ever release a manual version of the SLK AMG, I might consider trading in. But in my opinion the lack of it does not take away anything from this car.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
664 Posts
Thanks for the review- the only competition may be the Z8.

AMG's and manual transmissions are like 7UP.
Never had it never will.

·
Registered
'05 SLK 350
43 Posts
OrionBluSLKGuy - 2/13/2005 11:59 AM

bigciti - 2/13/2005 8:25 AM

Not the coolest until they(MB)offer a 6spd. manual
Oh, puhleeze. If you're a huge MT fan, great, go for it (or not, in this case, since it's unavailable). But a lot of folks feel that coolness is not strictly defined by whether you're manually shifting or not. Particularly when you're talking about an auto with the sophistication of the SLK's. I, too, used to be a real purist and after seeing what the 7-speed can do, I'm a definite convert. For those wonderful windy roads where I really want a bit more control, I still have that option.

I was hesitant to post this, since I didn't want this to degrade into an auto vs. manual brouhaha, but been reading your posts suggesting that somehow the value of an non-MT SLK will be diminished somehow and am afraid I couldn't disagree more.

Jerry
Jerry...sorry if you misunderstood me about the SLK55. Perhaps I didn't express myself correctly...It is definitely a fantastic automobile, and yes it's cool. You can color me a purist, but I think MB is losing sales to other purists that are buying Porsches(911 & Boxster S)and overlooking a great car like the '55'. I'm only suggesting that they offer the 6spd. manual as an option. Congrats on your SLK350(I have one also)..drive safely and in good health.
Bob

·
Registered
2005 SLK 55
90 Posts
I'm also a diehard manual driver but I did give the 7 sp auto consideration until reading reviews of the manual shift mode. If AMG can improve the shift reaction time on the auto in manual mode, I would then seriously re-consider the AMG 55.

·
Registered
Orion Blue SLK350
108 Posts
Jerry...sorry if you misunderstood me about the SLK55. Perhaps I didn't express myself correctly...It is definitely a fantastic automobile, and yes it's cool. You can color me a purist, but I think MB is losing sales to other purists that are buying Porsches(911 & Boxster S)and overlooking a great car like the '55'. I'm only suggesting that they offer the 6spd. manual as an option. Congrats on your SLK350(I have one also)..drive safely and in good health.
Bob
OK, probably came off as a bit defensive, which wasn't intentional. I guess I'm not missing a manual transmission as much as I thought I would. The 7G is pretty awesome technology, and a pretty darn good substitute.

You're probably right. For those that are purists, MBZ will lose some SLK55 sales as a result of not offering a MT alternative.

Couldn't be happier with my SLK350... what an absolutely awesome automobile.

Jerry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts