Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the SLK community, with my girlfriend recently purchasing a 2005 SLK350. This post is basically a post to guage the interest in custom vinyl overlays for the SLK350 tail lights to make them look like SLK55 AMG style lights.

I saw the thread about someone purchasing the AMG lights only to realize that the difference is that small strip... well this is a much cheaper and easier alternative. I myself am looking to have this done but since the person that does the overlays needs more than just me, i thought i'd see how many people would be interested.

The overlays would be made by:

http://www.bluebatmobile.com

you can check out his gallery for examples of his work.

he's done overlays for numerous other cars and does high quality work. His prices are reasonable and he even ships international so no worries there.

Now you might be asking what the difference is between just using tint spray to darken the tail lights...

1. Vinyl overlays are easier to install without the need to remove the tail light or mask anything.

2. Vinyl overlays are easy to remove if you don't care for them anymore.

3. They're very durable and last a long time.

Bluebatmobile has made hundreds of overlays and no complaints on the worksmanship or durability.

If you are interested, please reply to this thread. If there is enough interest i'll direct him to this thread and we can proceed. Thanks.

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
Hmm, sounds interesting. [8D] I would certainly consider it, especially since he provides International Shipping - always a bonus!!!!

I would love to know more from him.

In particular how easy they are to fit!!!! [:I]

·
Registered
SLK 350 due 03/05
90 Posts
Count me in, I'd be interested too, perhaps a tint for the middle brake light could be created too?

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
bsharp - 2/25/2005 2:37 PM

Count me in, I'd be interested too, perhaps a tint for the middle brake light could be created too?
Yeah, that'd be really good, as well. Though I have seen a smoked middle brake light on eBay - think it was between £40 - £50. [8D]

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
Bluebat:

I have seen some of your work on other cars.

We would definately be interested in seeing pics of your overlay products for the SLK. Take some and post ASAP.

Looking forward to seeing these soon! [:)]

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool, we have some responses. What we need now is someone from San Diego or SoCal to be a test car so Bat could get this started. So we need a volunteer! Reply here if you're interested and PM me with your email.

Thanks

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
if we can get a test car we can see how it'll look and how to install etc. so if you know anyone in SoCal or San diego, point them to this thread [8D]

·
Registered
SLK 200, Golf V GTI
269 Posts
Count me in! I was about to do the spray job myself in the next few weeks but this looks like a great option. What sort of cost would we be looking at?

·
Registered
SLK200 Auto (171)
186 Posts
I'm in :)

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
Perhaps a vinyl overlay to cover the ugly yellow side markers on the U.S. cars? We'll have to look into this.

Duo-Art

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
for this to even move forward we still need a volunteer in the South Cali or San Diego area to be a test car. There must be someone willing out there...

·
Registered
2009 slk55 amg/ performance pkg.
191 Posts
I am in burbank...I will be getting my car mid to end of next month.
I might be intrested.
1-can you choose the barkness intensity of the over lays.
2-are the over lays differnt than smoking.

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
I'm interested ... but would like to see a couple of pics that really show the difference between the 350 and 55 lights. Anyone got links?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here's a picture of the difference:

SLK 55 AMG

SLK 350

And yes he could do the third brake light as well.

To answer your questions Mazeeka:

1. You can definitely choose the darkness intensity of the overlays. Although the initial batch will most likely match the darkness of the AMG lights.

2. The overlays are similar to tints so no they aren't different than smoking, just another way to do it.

If you check out bats gallery you'll see many examples including opaque overlays that match body color.

·
Registered
2005 SLK350
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok we've got the following people interested:

beverage
bsharp
novabenz
yippym
StephenJnr
jono_m
mrdeli
Duo-Art
mazeeka
RonJeffries

Anyone else? We still don't have a test car. Mazeeka is currently the only one that volunteered but car isn't arriving til end of the month. I'll continue to update you guys on the situation but as it looks now we can't move forward without a test car...

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
Definately keep us in the loop on this project.
Your work has looked good on other cars, so I am interested to see what you develop for our SLK's.
Hopefully you get a "test subject" soon.
I am on the East Coast, so help here.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts