Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 diesel VW rabbit pickup truck baby!!
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 SLK 320 V6. I change a valve cover gasket on the drivers side. There is a intake hose that broke and I tried to just seal it with no luck. I then changed all 12 of the plugs and put in the Bosch Platin factory plugs. Well after I pulled off the coils and put them on tried to start the car. Car started and check engine lite. The car accelerator pedal will go all the way to the floor the engine lags behind and then the rps surge like a tps problem.It did not have this problem before the cel thats why i think it could need the throttle reprogramed. The car will only roll not drive. Unfortunatly for me the vehicle is about an hour away for me to work with it.
A different day I went and pulled the coils ,took them down to Auto z and had them test them using a multimeter. The guy there found 2 coils with the secondary windings not giving a reading. So I had the owner order 2 coils as replacements. The other day I put all the coils on with the 2 new coils and new intake to valve cover hose,and all the wires on exactly the same. Still have this issue with the throttle pedal going to the floor in park ,surging way behind the pressure on the pedal then catching up and reving really high.i did not try to drive the car out of the parking lot. I tried also to pull off the negative battery post to reset the computer .I waited for 20-30 min or so and put the cable on witht he key in the ignition on position as well as the drivers door closed . there a way to reprogram the throttle , or reset the computer maybe a different way? Hopefully someone has some advice .

·
Registered
SLK 320 Sport 2001 ; Audi S8 2003
29 Posts
Seems that you have (at least) two separate issues here; The intake hose and the change of spark plugs. The only experience I can give to your symptoms is that change of spark plugs on the M112 does not generally require a onboard computer reset to get a "normal idle". Assuming that your original spark plugs were not completely shot or malfunctioned and therefore putting the ignition adaptation system into an extreme setting.
I would look to other issues like:
a) Are you sure that the spark plugs are correct and compatible? Check this post:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1305696-320-spark-plug-change-3.html

b) Check that you are attaching the right cable on each coil (there are two) on the correct spark plug. Have not tried this myself, but I imagine that the M112 will not like it.

c) Get a scan of failure codes via OBD port and see what comes up. Will probably throw heaploads of errors with the symptoms you describe. Code list are available on this site.

d) The lag in throttle respons and CEL may indicate other issues (MAF?)

In addition it is strange that two of your coilpacks are shot, but you do not tell any background story of why you did the repair - Did the car run smooth before tune up?

I do not have any experience with the intake hose, and leave this to others to comment. Keep us posted on your progress and remember to fill in location in your profile.

Best of luck
Yggdrasil

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for the reply.Anyway yes the issue was the guy had not started the car for 2 years.The 320 ran fine before the service just old oil. He starts it and hears the lifters filling with oil tapping. So he shuts the car down and calls me. I see the car has 90 thou so I told him we will do a oil change as well as brakes and valve cover gasket and all new plugs, and a trans fluid and filter service. So I installed everything and tried to start the car with the rip in the intake hose.It is the larger sized hose that bends a few times and goes into the intake plastic piece. Anyway this thing got thrown into a limp mode somehow. I will go to the car and put it down to auto zone to pull the codes .Thanks again for your help so far its given me new clues to look at like the type plug I installed.It was a bosch platin thats all I know for now. Ill be back with more information!!Thanks again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again ,
Ok i went to the slk and pulled the codes it was a TPS code and that was the only code given.I tried to program the throttle as instructed on here and it has no effect the car still has that lag in the pedal. It is strange that all i did was replace the spark plugs ,threw a vacume leak and it made the TPS sensor go bad. if all these TPS sensors go bad what is the reason? Is there anybody that rebuilds these units as the prices I was quoted for the TPS sensor range from 5 to 600 dollars. Is there a company that you all could recomend who has these TPS sensors for a reasonable price. Is there any way I can maybe reset this sensor or maybe unplug and then replug it? I suppose I am trying to find a way to fix this so the customer doesnt have to pay out 600 more dollars to get his car back to the way it was before the tune up. Ok and thank you all for all your help so far.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
So my response about gas pedal is ignored ?
What you have is a sensor failure in the gas pedal - so the computer can't read the pedal position from the main sensor and uses backup sensor - hence the lag.
These thing fails. Probably was revised part for 2001, and than revised again - new sensor on pedal looks different.
In this context TPS refers as Throttle Position on Gas Pedal. Gas pedal with sensor about 220$ at dealer.
You can search the forum - there were few failures reported.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am really appologise about the no response on the pedal.Yes you did steer me in the correct way to find this code so Thank you Krill. I am going to try to realign the pedal first like I have seen several posts here stating there pedals were out of alignment or had a broken piece.Just have to make the 2 hour drive to the car again lol. Ill report in on my progress as well and not leave the thread hanging like I see so much of.This is a great forum here and Thanks for the responses advice and time you all give. it is intersting tho that the sensor threw a code ,or was ruined only after a tune up mistake. Time will tell the tale.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320
1,248 Posts
I replaced mine for about $150. From the dealer. They do go bad and very easy to replace. It is the whole gas pedal that you replace the sensor is built into it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just wanted to finalize this post by stating that the TPS sensor was the problem and after replacing it for 200 bucks my customer is a happy camper so far. Thanks for all your help techs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Had the same problem

I have close problem to your! Mistake P0123 and no respons from pedal!I change the qhole pedal as it was recomended to you but it does not helped me!So everybody now tell mi that problem is in TPS!Can you tell me the part number for TPS for my R170 320 - 2003 year.
Than you!
Best regards,
Steven

1 - 10 of 10 Posts