Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Black 2001 SLK 320 6spd
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am looking for some tire & suspension advice.

I've been autox-ing my 6spd SLK for a few years now. Bone stock except my 2nd year I ran Hoosier A6s (now corded). So right now I'm running (bone stock) except I'm using my street tires: Yoko Advan Neovas mounted on 18x8s. Which bumps me to ASP and no way am I competitive in ASP with stock suspension and street tires.

We don't ge a lot of cars out, usually 40-60, and the classes don't mean a lot other than PAX. I have been working on my driving big time and have placed 2nd overall (raw time) behind "better" cars a few times and am usually in the top 10. Last weekend in the rain I finished 0.08 sec behind FTD. I'm seldom beat by cars on street tires. But thats just my little local pond :) Different story when I head to bigger events farther away. Not trying to brag but rather give some background to my own (ongoing) driver development as I know the biggest improvements in autox are in the driver.

I have a few choices/decisions:

1. Buy another set of A6s and mount them on my stock rims (16x7 F, 16x8 R). I think I can fit 225-50s on the front and 245-45s on the rear. Has anyone tried this?

2. Should I upgrade my shocks? (I can do this and stay in BS). I'm thinking Bilstein Sports. Any with any experience using these shocks?

Or I have a set of light 18x8s ...

3. Buy A6s or 710s (I've heard 710s last longer but A6s can be remounted "inside out"), think I can fit 245-35s. Has anyone tried this?

4. Any comments/recommendations BASED ON YOUR EXPERIENCE re: A6s vs 710s?

5. This means I'd be ASP so I might as well upgrade my suspension. Any suggestions/advice? Should I aim to upgrade to SLK32 components or go aftermarket? Springs, shocks and bars.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Mike

·
Registered
Black 2001 SLK 320 6spd
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No one here autocrosses? I'm surprised.

Now I'm hijacking my own thread :) but look into it and give it a try ... tons of fun.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
I would have answered sooner, but my info is a bit dated because I haven't auto-x’d the last couple of years.

I ran the stock 16" wheels and Kumho V700 tires in 225 width, the car was also totally stock as is yours, but I had a 1998 230K and they only came with an auto box.
Try the stock wheels and Kumho V710's run 39 psi in front and 36 in back, adjust pressure to your liking.

2005 Autocross Points Totals
2004 Autocross Points Totals
2003 Autocross Points Totals

I changed to TOYO's in 2004 and it was a disaster, little grip in the turns and poor acceleration out.

Keep in mind, it’s got a lot to do with the car, but the driver is better than 50% of the equation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts