Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Black 99 SLK 230
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about to order a SLK32 AMG front sway bar from the dealer for my slk 230.

The dealer is not much help telling me if it will fit.

Can anyone tell me for sure if the AMG SLK32 front sway bar is a stright swap, and if it is a thicker bar for improved performance.

Thanks

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Everyone assumes it will fit but I am not sure if anyone has actually installed it. You do realize that you have to drop the rear suspension to install the bar?

·
Premium Member
SLK 230
1,498 Posts
ummm
He said front not rear.
Just to clarify.

And sorry do not know the answer.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
AMPM - 4/1/2005 11:12 AM

ummm
He said front not rear.
Just to clarify.

And sorry do not know the answer.
I skimmed the post and read it as wanting to install both front & rear swaybars.

·
Registered
Black 99 SLK 230
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Front and rear sway bars would be great,
But does anyone know if the AMG SLK32 front sway bar is a stright bolt on for the 230?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Seeing as how the only thing that AMG has changed ...

are the springs and the sway bars, the answer should be yes. All it is, is a thicker bar, it's not bent any differently. Eibach makes the sway bars for AMG, just ask them.
I'll say this for Linh's benefit since he seems to have a problem reading, and understanding, anything, I write:
Eibach instructions state that the rear end must be dropped in order to install the rear sway bar. If you look at how the sway bar is bent you can understand why.
Something you might want to consider tho' is that to much front sway bar could lead to heavier understeer. If, in a turn the front outboard tire is loaded to heavily, it tends to lose grip. The rear sway bar trys to add load to the rear outboard tire and take it off the front.
The end result is that you need to balance the car with these bars, just one could really screw up the handling.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Linh, instead of mouthing off all the time ...............

Why don't you just talk to Eibach ?
Eibach instructions state that the rear end must be dropped in order to install the rear sway bar. If you look at how the sway bar is bent you can understand why./
Ok, then what exactly is "drop"? To lower it or to remove it? I understand it as to lower it. If you just lower the rear end to give more space then it should be easy to do. To remove it, then that require a car lift for the job.
"Ok, then what exactly is "drop"?

I believe that means you remove the four bolts that hold the suspension in place, take the suspension down, and put it in your neighbor's garage until you're ready to put it back.

You have a SLK, take look under the car, find a picture of the sway bar (maybe in the parts info AMPM was kind enough to post) and figure it out. You claim to know so much more then anyone else here, do your homework, and find out. Personally I'll take Eibach's word for it and say that the suspension has to be dropped enough so that you can't do it in your garage.
If you're so eager to prove me wrong, ask the people that make the parts and report back so everybody knows what's what. Here's the phone number : 951.256.8300

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
This isn't worth responding to, you are far to dense ...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts