Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'll start this one by quoting from the June issue of Automobile Magazine: "Merecedes SLK280 - A cheaper SLK debuts in July with a 228-hp, 3.0 liter 24 valve V6 for about $42,000, almost $5,000 less than the SLK350."

·
Registered
SLK 350
378 Posts
Debuts WHERE ??? Northbenz

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Starting Gates

Debut quoted in Automobile magazine (a US publication) would be for North America. Looks like from post above that those on the European continent and British Isles won't have to wait even that long.

·
Registered
2008 R320 CDI, 2006 SLK350
118 Posts
Everything I have seen and read indicates that in the U.S. version, the SLK280 will be identical to the SLK350 except for the engine being the new 3.0 V6 and it will come with 16 inch 5 spoke wheels.

Even the option packages are the same as the SLK350.

There was a post in a previous thread with a copy of the spec sheet for the 2006 SLK models.

The tough part if anyone is planning to order is that there have been no reviews of the new 3.0 V6 engine.

·
Registered
2006 SLK350
41 Posts
Yet ANOTHER good reason for getting the Sport suspension but NOT the unflattering (to Mars Red) 5-spoke AMG wheels.

Now I won't look like I'm driving the lower end model.

THANK YOU MERCEDES!

To all you with the AMG sport package, sorry...

Need to get the pics up:

http://www.sobenetwork.com/SLK350/euro/

Byron,
South Beach (Miami Beach, FL)

·
Registered
2006 SLK350
41 Posts
PS: stat info:

SLK280 0-60 for both stick and auto is 6.1 vs 350's 5.4 stick / 5.5 auto

280 weighs about 40 lbs. less.

280 has 40 less HP and 27 less torque then 350.

In USA, 280 is $4,100 less then 350.

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
RacerCub68 - 6/18/2005 11:28 PM

Are you eighteen years old. B/c you sure sound like it. What does it matter if it's $4,000 less, 6.1 to 60mph, you sound like a little kid. Did mommy buy you the car[:p] As long as the owner is happy with the car, that is all that matter.

In my opinion, the 5 spoke looks better, opinions are like assholes, some stink more than others, your's obviously skank more than others.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350 AMG
474 Posts
Ynot - 6/20/2005 6:46 PM
Are you eighteen years old. B/c you sure sound like it. What does it matter if it's $4,000 less, 6.1 to 60mph, you sound like a little kid. Did mommy buy you the car[:p]
hey.. thats a bit harsh dont you think?

·
Registered
SLK350 (apr 15)
673 Posts
Ynot - 6/19/2005 1:46 AM

RacerCub68 - 6/18/2005 11:28 PM

Are you eighteen years old. B/c you sure sound like it. What does it matter if it's $4,000 less, 6.1 to 60mph, you sound like a little kid. Did mommy buy you the car[:p] As long as the owner is happy with the car, that is all that matter.

In my opinion, the 5 spoke looks better, opinions are like assholes, some stink more than others, your's obviously skank more than others.
Person quotes unbiased statistics and you call him names. What's up with that?

·
Registered
150 Posts
been shopping for an slk all weekend and i can tell you this... california is flooded with 280's... every dealer has at least 3-4 in stock... 05 slk's are still available and the 06 slk's are on the boat...

·
Registered
06' SLK350
2,315 Posts
RonJeffries - 6/19/2005 7:06 AM

Person quotes unbiased statistics and you call him names. What's up with that?
Nothing wrong with quoting unbiased statistics but if you read his other comments. He sounds like a person that hates everything but his own. He reminds me of some of my very annoying friends. The ones that ask you why did you get that ugly plastic rear spoiler, did you know theres a better model. Just that type of person, I guess you have to know them to know how I feel.

RacerCub68 - 6/18/2005 11:25 PM

Now I won't look like I'm driving the lower end model.

THANK YOU MERCEDES!

To all you with the AMG sport package, sorry...
RacerCub68 - 6/18/2005 11:57 PM

All you 5 star rimmers now look like you're driving a SLK280!
RacerCub68 - 6/19/2005 12:05 AM

My car has EVERYTHING Except the AMG package (got sport suspension instead, no plastic add ons, and no 5-spoke SLK280 looking wheels.) I got Sirius, SLK light up door sills, trunk kit and wind blocker.

·
Registered
99 SLK230/06SLK280
39 Posts
TX dealers (at least Houston & Austin) haven't seen any 280s yet. Ordered one today for my wife. Worked it pretty hard to get $1000 off MSRP plus a good deal on her 99 SLK230 (about $1000 over Blue Book).

She's ordered the 7-spd. Hope the tranny works better wi the 280 than the 55.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yours will probably be one of the first in Texas. Let us know how the two of you like the SLK280. (Hadn't heard that the SLK55 was too much engine for the new 7 Speed Transmission, although it is the only AMG to have a 7 speed.)

·
Registered
SLK55 AMG
78 Posts
I'm not sure about being flooded, but when I stopped by my dealer last night to look at my SLK55 that just got off the transport, I did notice a black 280 that had just gotten unloaded as well. Not sure how many more may have been on this shipment but they for sure are arriving.

JS

·
Registered
2006 SLK350
226 Posts
I don't mean to be mean, because the SLK280 is a great car, but I test drove one last week..and promptly decided to get the 350 ;) My local dealer has 3-4 of them on the lot since last week.

·
Registered
'05 Mars Red SL 500
589 Posts
You're not being mean. The 350 suits your driving needs more than the 280. My dealer got a 280 and it went out the door the same day. I believe the 280 will become the volume leader of the SLK Class. When MB went from the SLK230 as the base model, to the 350, the price difference was huge, and probably put a lot of people out of consideration. The 280's price puts it closer to the 230, with better performance and a six cylinder to boot. In most cities, the 280's engine will provide more than enough acceleration/exhileration for urbanite drivers.

Rod

·
Registered
2006 SLK350
41 Posts
S is for Skank.... According to YNOT... A tome...

Ynot said:

Well, for saying I'm 18, you certainly made that sound like a grown up with your childish digs.

First off, I'm 37 years old. If you would look at the picture, you might have noticed that. However, thanks for making me younger. Is it because my sports car is red and my sedan is silver**?

My post referred to my car. When you get enough money to pay yours off, and want to buy mine for me, well then, you can have a clear say in what I am allowed to want and have. I did not know we had to bow to you before we could state what we liked on our cars or not.

As far as the money comment, well, I've done quite well for myself and got a nice chuckle. Unfortunatly my mother was a depression era child who knows what it is like to go without dinner many, many times so her brother and sisters could eat. Maybe not unfortunatly, as she taught me to appreciate everything no matter how large or small that no child who was given everything could understand. I get to enjoy buying my parents nice things they were unable to afford in their younger lives.

BTW, I'd watch the comments around her. Being a former Powder Puff stock car driver (ladies league, 64 GTO) she is quite adept at making twin-turbo RX-7's eat her stock Miata's dust.

Instead of buying a Carrera S with X52 package, I decdied to get an old air cooled Porsche I can prep for race only. I bought the SLK350 for $60k with cash and have more then $30k in cash for my dedicated race car. Not that the SLK will be spared the autocross course, it will do some duty as well.

I have a nice house in South Beach, between the golf courses, and do not have a loan on it either. I enjoy living completely debt free. Maybe that is why I appear like a giddy, carefree 18 year old!

I like all kinds of cars for all kinds of reasons. One of my favorite cars is still the Fiat X1/9, which can be had for $1,200 in good condition. I remember in college getting a job at an driving cars in an auto auction and calling the Yugo and Geo Metro becuase I wanted to drive everything and enjoy driving everything, when others just wanted the Porsches and Corvettes. I am the LAST person to think my opinion and my car is the greatest, and everything else trash.

However, I DO live in South Beach, and while normally looking like I'm driving the lower end model wouldn't be anything at all, people here judge more on apperance then merit. They seem to have this habit of memorizing the top the entry and nothing in between. If you have the best, you are the best, the entry, the worst, and in between they can't tell and actually try to get to know you. I make my money from these people, so I have to play their games. The rims thing was just a bonus that made me love my car, and my decision to stick with the 10 spoke rims, even more.

This is all academic, I mean, I am not taking anything away from 280 owners. After all, they have their own reasons. Maybe they bought the car because it gets better gas mileage. Maybe they disliked the 10 spoke wheels on the 350. Maybe they have other things they'd rather spend the difference on. Half the time the difference in 0-60 times could be made up by someone who launched the car better.

I had more then enough money for a SLK55, but I had reasons why I didn't want to buy it. (I so love the 6 speed manual stick better then auto, not that anyone can shift as fast as it, and still am glad for the extra involvement it requires.) I assume someone who buys a 280 has reasons why they didn't buy the 350. Hell there are probably a few people here driving 280's that have money that would give me nose bleeds just thinking about, and people driving SLK55's mortgaged to their underwear.

You took positives I said about my car and twisted them into negatives. I am sure being childish spikes your posting ratings, but next time take a Xanax and don't read too far into something. After all, one of the reasons we're here is because we love our cars and love talking about them.

Now, apologize to all the 350 owners with the 10 spoke Champagnolo rims...

PS: My friend got an Orion Blue SLK with the AMG kit. The 5 spoke AMG's sure look amazing on the Blue. I still think they don't flatter the Mars Red. Sucks MB took away the Orion Blue color now, it was a very nice color.

**I have the ultimate old man car, a Silver 2005 Lexus LS430. The best '74 Caprice Toyota could make. The police don't even see it blowing past at 80 MPH. The only step further in anonymity is a beige Camry. Unfortunantly the valet's don't see it either.

If I would have bought the yellow Porsche Carrera S, well I would have been one step away (need the cabrio) to the ultimate mid-life crisis car. In fact, the plate I would have gotten would have said CRISIS S. You have to enjoy life and laugh at yourself.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts