Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2007 SLK280
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my 2007 SLK280 (with only 12K miles) today for a minor service (A Service plus brake fluid flush). I asked about lubricating the roof seals. They said not covered under warranty, even if the roof is creaking. They wanted $100 to do it. Anyone else gotten the dealer to cover this under warranty or part of scheduled service?? I think I could do it myself provided I can find the right stuff.

Thanks!

·
Registered
RHD C200K Sport Coupe, RHD SLK-55, LHD SLK-350
451 Posts
Yep, had it done under warranty at least twice (and the SLK is in the US..) - also have had my C Class panoramic sunroof cleaned and lubed under warranty as well.

·
Registered
SLK 280 2007, C180 Cgi estate 2011
126 Posts
I've had it done twice too, under warranty, by Mercedes Benz of Shrewsbury (Drayton). No questions asked, no fuss.

I didn't ask for it either time, but when they took it for a test drive they did it as they said it would silence a few very minor creaks.

Sounds like your dealer contact forgot to take his happy pills or forgot his customer service training!

·
Registered
2009 SLK 350
54 Posts
Dealer (M-B Alexandria) did it for free under warranty for my previous 06 SLK 280.
What dealer did you use?

·
Registered
2007 SLK280
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I go to American Service Center in Arlington. This is odd. I am going to ask my service advisor again. My friend who goes to EuroMotorcars in Bethesda said they did it under warranty.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 SLK 350
54 Posts
I go to American Service Center in Arlington. This is odd. I am going to ask my service advisor again. My friend who goes to EuroMotorcars in Bethesda said they did it under warranty.
Thanks.
American Service Center and M-B Alexandria are owned by the same outfit so that's even weirder unless M-B has changed their policy on it.

·
Registered
2005 SLK280
103 Posts
Yeah I had this same problem couple of months before my warranty ran out... I hadn't had my seals lubricated for couple of years, as not much mileage, nothing wrong with the car, so never brought it in to dealer. Brought it in to dealer for a service and asked for the seals to be lubricated and he said, its wear and tear, blah blah.... I just bit the bullet, and paid for it.

Worst thing is, couple of months later, the roof started creaking again, so I brought it back in and complained about it, and they charged me again to lubricate it.

Had enough of that, bought some carbaflo(FUCHS - Lubritech - Carbaflo Direct) and have been doing it myself ever since. Or you can use the Merc approved stuff, which is quite pricey, I believe. After the second time I brought it in, I got the technician at the dealership to show me what had to be done. Basically, pop the roof off halfway, and apply the lubricant to all the rubber seals where the roof will contact when its closed. Done!...and no more squeaks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts