Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1999 C55 AMG
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ill try to tell this story best i can, im not a great writer
basically i had a not so good night, started off with finding my SLK passenger side door scratched pretty bad, not the end of the world, im sure ill get a decent ammount of money from insurance, little to no money out of my pocked, still sucks though

on my way to a friends later in the day i was comming up to a stop sign on a back road
note the roads this happened on were empty, it was late at night and there were zero cars
also i was alone in my car, no one was with me
anyway, not having a good day i go though the stop sign at about 5mph taking a left turn
the only car around was a car comming from the far right, i just saw his headlights as i went though the stop sign
i start to accelerate, end up doing about 40 in a 35mph zone when this car is comming up on me fast, as the car is comming up on me i start to moderatly accelerate up to about 55-60, (why i accelerated, i am an idiod no excuse) anyway the car ended up being a cop car, his lights go on hes about a block (20 car legnths behind me)
well me being the idiot i am, that was a green flag, downshifted to 3rd, ran it up to 90mph, HARD on brakes i took a left turn at a 3 way stop, took the turn to fast and i slid a little, if i took the turn slower more correct ide have held more speed though it, in second gear at this point i pin it again basicaly drag racing, i look in the mirror and wonder where he is, he finally comes around the turn a good 6-7 seconds after me, meanwhile im accelering on a sorta main back road, its a back road but it connects to a large area so its a good road for speeding, i accelerate to about 100mph comming up to a top of a semi steep hill, this was only real error, i should have braked some near the top of the hill, going over the ridge i very slightly lost traction going down the hill causing me to lose a little speed, i think i still held abouve 70, at this point i have a huge lead on the cop, like 50-60 car lenghts, i blow though a 4 way stop (you can see in all directions at this intersection i would NOT ever blow a 4 way like that blind) at this point the road turns into a very steep down hill, doing about 90mph i start to slow a little as i hit the ridge of this steep down hill, i can see near the bottom (about 1/8th mile away) some traffic, right now the line of sight between me and this cop is blocked by the ridge of the hill, i completly put the brake pedal down, somthing i rarely ever do, downshift to second gear, took the left turn onto a back road that puts me in a very good direction to get home fast, as im taking this left i turn my lights off, i get on the road, clean turn, 2-3 seconds pass, i watch the cop drive straight down the hill and not down the road i turned onto, i took a deep breath, then i safely-quickly drove home and parked.

im not saying what i did was the right choice, but its the choise i made at the time, and it worked out ok for me, he was NEVER close enough to see my plate so im clean, if i had the chance to do it again i would pull over right away, again i wasnt having the best day, i love my car, ive put a good deal of work into it, much ive done myself, seeing the door messed up and knowing im gonna have to deal with getting it fixed now and thought of a worthless ticket at that moment put me into the red zone i guess

i hope i wrote a decent read

·
Registered
1999 C55 AMG
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
at least 2 in my town, also silver, not many but better then being alone, a woman a block from where i lives had a brand new 171 looks so nice

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Not the best of choices, but at least you got away with it, and no one got hurt. [:D] [:D] Got to wonder what the fine would have been if he caught you?????? [;)]

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 /////AMG
128 Posts
Sorry to say this, but it was INCREDIBLY asinine! Nothing's worth breaking the law and getting handcuffed, possibly losing your license, and maybe getting your car impounded too.

You write well, and I could not wait to see what happened in the end, but still, you have to account for the fact that:

1. The cop will now be ALWAYS looking out for your car
2. He probably had turned his camera on during the chase [standard procedure], which will undoubtedly have your license plate on it if it was any good
3. You could have been caught by another officer had this one radioed ahead for a lookout
4. You could have hurt yourself or someone else

You made a decision albeit a retarded one, and stuck with it till the end, for which I think you ought to be ticketed big time lol

As a final observation, is it a good idea to incriminate yourself in such detail, on a public forum?

Take care, and drive safely from now on!
Sesh

·
Registered
2001 SLK 230
1,226 Posts
na I love it GOOD JOB MAN! 1st off the cop could NEVER use this forum aginst him. The system is shit and he could say "I lied in the forum" and they cant go after him. The system is BULLSHIT. After my few runins with the cops and the few times I called thm when I needed help aka people holding me at gunpoint / jumping me and stealing my stuff the cops not only failed me but let the guy go.

I have so many stories about how worthless the cops are.

Ive ran from cops before and they have even got my plate number. Theve come to the house and ive said man I have no idea what my car was doing out there. I havent been driving it all day. THEY CANT DO SHIT!

AWESOME! FREAKIN STORY! I love hearing them. My friends frun from the cops all the time on there motor bikes. Kinda hard to get away from cops in phnx. I usually turn off as fast as I can and lose em in a residential area as fast as I can. After 5 min they got ya in my area so you have to move fast.

--Deatherage

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
Yeah...stop scarin the guy Sesh[:p] There's nothing the cops can do. Plus, I don't think it was exactly a "chase," so the cop probably didn't have his camera on. It shounded like he was just avoiding getting pulled over, not actually running from the cop who had his cherry tops blazing. If he was actually running, the cop would have radioed for help.

I agree with you Deathy - the cops in my town are so useless. They do nothing except pull people over for stupid stuff and ticket them, respond to accidents, etc. A few friends and I once called when we saw a drunk driver, and we followed the driver and the cops never came to pull them over...what retards. Damn pigs, I hate 'em.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 /////AMG
128 Posts
LOL not trying to scare anyone. From the looks of it, it seems like it'd take quite a bit to scare him!

But I do feel uncomfortable advocating/commending violation of the law :) Not a smart move to pi$$-off a donut monster.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
DA_SURG - 4/1/2005 4:43 PM

Yeah...stop scarin the guy Sesh[:p] There's nothing the cops can do. Plus, I don't think it was exactly a "chase," so the cop probably didn't have his camera on. It shounded like he was just avoiding getting pulled over, not actually running from the cop who had his cherry tops blazing. If he was actually running, the cop would have radioed for help.

I agree with you Deathy - the cops in my town are so useless. They do nothing except pull people over for stupid stuff and ticket them, respond to accidents, etc. A few friends and I once called when we saw a drunk driver, and we followed the driver and the cops never came to pull them over...what retards. Damn pigs, I hate 'em.
How is not pulling over for a police car with his emergency lights on different from a chase? If he had been caught they dont have 2 different catagories for 'chase' and 'not pulling over'. If he had been caught he would have required a lawyer and needed to be prepared to write some big checks. If his lights went on I would bet money that the camera went on. Does not mean they can pull a plate from it though.

You are bitching about the cops not responding in how long to a call about an alleged drunk driver? How many times do you think people call in a plate and report it as a drunk driver when they have been cut off? Or when someone is driving faster than they think they should be?

Not sure why all the animosity towards law enforcement officials. They have a very tough job to do. Think it is BS that the cops in your area are writing too many tickets or speed limits are too low? Blame the politicians, not the guys forced to enforce the law.

All that being said stupid decision to run, could have hurt a lot of people and ended up in deep shit. On the other hand you did not hurt anyone and got away with it so things worked out very well for you. While I dont condone it either way you slice it you avioded a ticket and a fine.

As far as saying you will be out little or no money for your door what is your deductible? If it is $500 or more get an estimate first, will probably be close to your deductible to fix.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts
430 - 4/1/2005 4:08 PM

How is not pulling over for a police car with his emergency lights on different from a chase? If he had been caught they dont have 2 different catagories for 'chase' and 'not pulling over'. If he had been caught he would have required a lawyer and needed to be prepared to write some big checks. If his lights went on I would bet money that the camera went on. Does not mean they can pull a plate from it though.
You read it wrong....i was just saying that I dont think the cop turned on his lights and was actually chasing, as in pursuit, of mikhaley. I think he was just getting away from the cop, who may or may not have been following him, but it appears he wasnt trying to pull him over.

·
Registered
2003 SLK 320
684 Posts

You are bitching about the cops not responding in how long to a call about an alleged drunk driver? How many times do you think people call in a plate and report it as a drunk driver when they have been cut off? Or when someone is driving faster than they think they should be?
I've only called the cops on someone once, and because I KNEW it was a drunk driver, who was on broadway, the main street through town, and I was trying to actually prevent something. I just think it's retarded that they would pull my friend over because an old lady called and said that he "cut her off," and they wouldnt even bother responding to an actually serious situation.

Whatever, this is just my opinion. I really don't have much respect for cops in my areas because they don't do much of anything useful.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
DA_SURG - 4/1/2005 5:28 PM

I've only called the cops on someone once, and because I KNEW it was a drunk driver, who was on broadway, the main street through town, and I was trying to actually prevent something. I just think it's retarded that they would pull my friend over because an old lady called and said that he "cut her off," and they wouldnt even bother responding to an actually serious situation.

Whatever, this is just my opinion. I really don't have much respect for cops in my areas because they don't do much of anything useful.
I was not saying that you guys called for a bogus reason. Just that there are people out there that have to F'up a good idea.

I agree that it is BS if a cop pulled over your friend on a report of cutting someone else.

Of course I am not saying all cops are good. Hell, I have had to deal with some that are on a power trip and just want to F' with people. On the other hand not all cops are bad either.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
DA_SURG - 4/1/2005 5:24 PM

In the story he mentions that the cop turns his lights on (read blue lights). When the blue lights come on if you don' pull over it is considered evading.
You read it wrong....i was just saying that I dont think the cop turned on his lights and was actually chasing, as in pursuit, of mikhaley. I think he was just getting away from the cop, who may or may not have been following him, but it appears he wasnt trying to pull him over.

·
Premium Member
1999 SLK230 Sport
2,713 Posts
Think about this next time you want to jam it in gear and outrun a cop....

It is much better to suck it up and take a misdemenor traffic citation than to risk being arrested for FELONY evading. Anytime you try to evade a police officer, it immediately becomes a felony. Something to consider...

·
Registered
2003 SLK32
119 Posts
Well written post, thank you for sharing it with us. I’m glad everyone involved with your experience made it through safely. I was much more a redneck when I was younger back in Tennessee. I knew no Law Enforcement could catch me or my 73’ SD 455 Trans Am. I would regularly out run them on the local back roads. The first time they caught me after setting up 4 road blocks and coming at me with shotguns, I was placed in the local jail. When my daddy came to make my bail, the only thing he said was “I didn’t know I had a son so STUPID that he thought he could out run a radio.� Lots of stories in between, but the last time they got me, I met them on a curve at a high rate of speed and they turned to come after me. I parked my car in a friends driveway and jumped in another car and left. When I returned later they had towed my car to the impoundment lot (while doing what damage they could to my car during the tow.) When I went to the jail to get it I was arrested on multiple charges. (They even threw in a DWI charge, although I did not drink at the time, I was lucky I was given a breathalyzer at the jail and that charge was dropped.) The county judge ran an auto shop which worked on my car and he had given me a recommendation for Air Force OTS, so I was able to leave this part of my life behind without a record. I would not have the job I have today and be able to afford my 32 if I had some of my adventures as convictions on my record.

I was so lucky! If any of the law enforcement officers had killed themselves while chasing me, I would have been guilty of their murder in a court of law. They say it is all fun and games until someone gets hurt. No matter how proficient your driving skills are, you cannot be sure of the fellow chasing you if you run. He might follow you through the red light or stop sign and broadside the car load of kids, and that would be your fault. I do not mean to chastise you, I’ve been there too. I know today if I was motoring down a local road a little above the speed limit and saw the blue lights behind me, he still could not catch my SLK32. However, I made the decision when I first got my 32, that I WOULD NOT RUN! If you make that decision up front, then after the idiot cop burns you in a speed trap after a bad day, you will stop. To those of you who choose to run, Godspeed to you and drive safe. Except for a few immature kids (love you Deathy) we must be a bunch of old men on this board from the previous responses.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts