Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Current: '07 SL550, '06 ML350 - Past: '99 ML320 (Sold), '98 SLK230 (Wrecked), 05 SL500 (Wrecked)
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've now had my little '98 SLK230 for about 4 months.

The few things that needed fixing are done. I had the center console professionally repainted, and the engine and transmission mounts replaced, which has cured the vibrations I had primarily in reverse.

So the car is running great, everything works (except one bulb behind the speedometer), but...

...I really hate the tiny sun visors, not because they are small, but because I can't swing them to the side. When I commute in the morning, the sun is shining in my left eye for 3/4 of the way to work. Coming home in the evening, the sun is once again beating on the left side of my face as it getting ready to set.

Every car I had in the last 20 years has had a videor that could be swung to the side, but not this car.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket sun visors that pivot, or any that can be had from some other models that fit?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Current: '07 SL550, '06 ML350 - Past: '99 ML320 (Sold), '98 SLK230 (Wrecked), 05 SL500 (Wrecked)
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update.

I just found a set of visors from a 2008 SLK. These are the swing-out type like what I'm looking for, but will they fit on the 98 model.

I'd be willing to make some small alterations, but hopefully all that will be necessary is to remove the old ones and the mounting posts, and replace them with the new visors and posts.

Has anyone had any experience with these?

·
Registered
2010 C200 CGI /W203/SLK230/W202/230E/280SE
3,301 Posts
The only reason that I can think for Benz to fit fixed visors is that they might interfere with the vario roof engaging if left in the side window position (small risk but some goose is going to do it!)

Good luck with the 2008 visors - sound good to me.

Oberoi

·
Registered
2011 SLK300 Plutonium (2002 SLK230 Sold)
1,008 Posts
The 2008 visors sounds like a good mod possibility. Let us know how it works out for you.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, I went ahead and bought them.

The price was right, ($67 shipped), so I should be getting them next week.

We''ll see how much work they are. From what I can tell from the pictures, there are quite a few differences. The most obvious is that they have lighted vanity mirrors. The 98 SLK doesn't have a lighted mirror system, so unless I decide to jury rig the wiring, the mirrors may stay dark.

The biggest question is whether there is enough space inside the upper window sill to accommodate the pivoting post, which appears to protrude inward at least 1".

We'll see. I'll keep you guys posted as soon as I get them, and get a chance to remove the original ones.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
I've often wondered why someone like Benz hasn't made a neat telescopic/retractable visor for roadsters so that they will extend up beyond the top of the screen to deflect the breeze.

I think some other manufacturer has a single one piece for the purpose?

Shouldn't be too hard for the creators of the air scarf!!!

oberoi

·
Registered
SLK 230K Manual
31 Posts
Thats exactly what they have made for the E-class convertible called the AirCap :) It is made to change the airflow and go over the back seats. Doesnt do anything for the sun in your eyes, but thats what sunglasses are for!

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Thanks Nick - knew I'd seen it somewhere

My visors are stiff enough to handle a slip on extension - worth a try

Oberoi

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Sport 5-Speed Manual, Silver, Subtle Red on Black Interior
116 Posts
The biggest question is whether there is enough space inside the upper window sill to accommodate the pivoting post, which appears to protrude inward at least 1".
I've always been irritated by the fixed visors and had planned on trying to research this, after getting to all the other mods and issues to address on my car, so looking forward to your updates!

Please post pictures of the original and 2008 visors lying next to each other before you install them for comparison, and of course what the attachment and pivot points of the 2008 visors look like once installed in the 230.

Thanks and best of luck!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've always been irritated by the fixed visors and had planned on trying to research this, after getting to all the other mods and issues to address on my car, so looking forward to your updates!

Please post pictures of the original and 2008 visors lying next to each other before you install them for comparison, and of course what the attachment and pivot points of the 2008 visors look like once installed in the 230.

Thanks and best of luck!
Will do. I've just got a tracking number for the package, which is arriving on Thursday, however, I don't think I'll be doing any work on the car immediately thereafter, but I will take some pics of the 2008 visors and post them first.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,464 Posts
Just a bump as a reminder to post the results - and some pictures of the job steps. :D:bowdown:

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a bump as a reminder to post the results - and some pictures of the job steps. :D:bowdown:
I haven't yet received the item, as the extreme weather in the East and Midwest has delayed shipments throughout the country. The updated shipping states it should arrive on Monday.

Anyway, I will post shots as soon as I can.

·
Registered
SLK32 AMG
593 Posts
sunvisors

Had an SLK since they came out.My SLK 32 ,03 has those visors. I always put a cap in my car for those days!
Adrian

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had an SLK since they came out.My SLK 32 ,03 has those visors. I always put a cap in my car for those days!
Adrian
Yeah I know, I do the same.

I usually have a ballcap behind my seat I use when the sun gets in my eyes, but It's mostly for driving with the top down, and sometimes I leave it elsewhere.

Anyway, it's just annoying to have to wear a hat inside a closed car. I want my swivel visors.

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,464 Posts
Actually, when the SLK32 was first shown at the LA car show, it DID have swivel sunvisors. Must have been specially fitted for the show, since the local dealer records did not show any swivel sunvisors.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

I got the new visors, and I will post some pictures showing the differences as soon as I remove one of the original visors from the car.

At first glance they appear to be the same size, though the mounting post are completely different, which means that new holes would have to be drilled, while hopefully missing any vital hardware in the window sill, and somehow making it all look like it belongs.

Stay tuned...

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On to the pictures...

So here are some pictures I took of the new visors and the original visor (passenger side).

As you can see, the size is nearly identical, even though the shape is a bit different. The pivot mount has 2 screws, while the original has one. You will also notice that the original mounting hardware is one piece. The base and the "rod/shaft" which the visor is attached to are one solid piece.

Obviously, this would require a larger hole to accommodate the protruding pivot shaft, and 2 smaller holes for the mounting. The question is what is currently in that area that would prevent me from doing this (roof locking hardware, wiring, etc).

Originally, when I first got the visors, I thought I noticed that the other end (where it clamps in) would be a problem, because in it's normal state, the mount point is further in than the original (picture #2). But then I noticed that the the visor is designed to also be extended when it's sideways (picture #6). This will allow me to mount the snap in "clamp" in the same area the original was in.

So, does anyone know what, if anything I will encounter in the window sill when I start to drill holes?

Is there a way to connect the vanity mirror lights wiring to actually make them functional (same wiring as the interior light)

Click each thumbnail to enlarge

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Sport 5-Speed Manual, Silver, Subtle Red on Black Interior
116 Posts
Dudeman, thanks for the excellent series of photos that show the differences in the visor so well. It's too bad the mounting bases on the R171 visor aren't at the same width as the R170.

Do you have the steps for taking off the interior panel at the top of the windshield? You'll need to do that to figure out how the mounting might work, and electrical shouldn't be a problem with the interior panel out of the way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts