Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I thought that I'd pass on some information that I've recently received from Powerchip. I've been writing back and forth with Matt at Powerchips (yes, the sponsor) and my questions mainly revolved around their ability to program the chip of an engine that has already had a pulley kit installed. He wrote and told me that their software wasn't complete yet but by the time that I had my pulley kit installed, it probably would be ready for sale.

Here is my latest letter to him:

> In order to assure the very best compatability, what pulley kit are you doing your research around? Are you working with a supercharger undersize or a crankshaft oversize?

It looks like between a pulley kit and your revised mapping of the chip, I could be looking at close to a 40Hp peak increase...does that sound correct to you?
<

and here is his response:

Dear Jeff,

We are curently working on the supercharge undersize. We are currently working with the low peercentage reduced pulley, and from that mathematically we will be able to tune for any reduced percentaged pulley.

Gain wise, we are looking at and addition of 50-55 extra HP.

if you have any questions or concerns please feel free to call me directly at 310-235-1122.

My next question to him would be why are they using an undersize supercharger pulley since it would seem to me that sharpening the bend that the belt has to make would drastically shorten the belt life. I could see an advantage in it because you would not be increasing the rotating mass (and weight) of the crank pulley. Then again, what he says about the percentages would pan out...ie: no matter how you speed the supercharger, the increase in boot can be arrived at by any means (oversize crank or undersize supercharger and the result will be the same for tuning purposes).

Linh...it's time for you to share your thoughts. BTW- my car is a 2002 so any guidance that you can lend me will be very much appreciated. As far as pricing is concerned, my email address is [email protected] so please drop me a note.

For those of you reading this, I'm assuming that the figures he's providing of 50-55HP is a COMBINED increase of both the chip and pulley. I may be wrong about that but when I find out for sure, I'll share the information with everyone.

Jeff

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Due to the clutch on the older cars, you can't really undersize....

Due to the clutch on the older cars, you can't really undersize the driven pulley. On the other hand you can with the newer cars because they are always engaged anyway.
What happens is that as you increase the speed and required torque with a smaller wheel, you reduce the available "footprint" of the belt on the pulley. That is not what you want or need. You always want to go with the biggest pulleys that you can fit. The only remedy to the smaller "footprint" is to increase the belt tension, and that will surely decrease belt life. The smaller radius is a factor in belt life but probably not as much as you might think.
50 to 55 horsepower sounds reasonable, but you really want to see certified dyno results, and a guarantee of a minimum improvement on your car.

·
Registered
SLK..lower than yours
1,567 Posts
if im not mistakes, renntech already has a software and pulley for this car?? or not?

G

·
Linh...it's time for you to share your thoughts. BTW- my car is a 2002 so any guidance that you can lend me will be very much appreciated. As far as pricing is concerned said:
[email protected][/email] so please drop me a note.

For those of you reading this, I'm assuming that the figures he's providing of 50-55HP is a COMBINED increase of both the chip and pulley. I may be wrong about that but when I find out for sure, I'll share the information with everyone.

Jeff

Jeff, i would love to voices my thoughts here but since Powerchip is our forum sponsor, i can't do it because if i can't say the truth, i won't say it.

50-55 hp? Flywheel.....maybe but 50-55 rwhp......not a chance !!! I don't sell the kit for your car since your car is 2002 but for around $500-$600 (alot less if you return your old pulley to ASP), you can get a modified pulley and belt from ASP and get 192 rwhp and 220 ft-lbs torque.

·
Registered
SLK..lower than yours
1,567 Posts
Hey Linh!! dont worry, i know your kit is the best bang for the buck, but I mentioned renntech because he's interested in software to go along with the pulley.

G

·
OJwerks said:
Hey Linh!! dont worry, i know your kit is the best bang for the buck, but I mentioned renntech because he's interested in software to go along with the pulley.

Correct me if i'm wrong but i think Renntech has two stages pulley kit. The first does not require "chip" because it run low boost and the second stage require "chip" to correct the driveability issues and A/F ratio. Dynospotracing also require "chip". They claimed the 'chip" make more power but it reality, the "chip" really for to correct the driveability problem at 3000 rpm and correct A/F ratio that in turn make nore power. On mine kit, i correct these two problem with MAS relocation and fuel risen rate fuel pressure regulator.

·
Registered
1999 SLK 230
937 Posts
A factor with the smaller pulley could be belt slippage. There is obviously less pulley for the belt to grab. I ran an Eaton supercharger on my Miata for 60K miles and this was a problem in that application.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
Bruce R. said:
Due to the clutch on the older cars, you can't really undersize the driven pulley.
linh said:
I hope you can back that comment up with some facts Linh, oterwise it tends to prove you really don't know what you're talking about...

·
Registered
2002 SLK230
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
darned....

Linh, Why won't your kit fit my car? What are the differences that would prevent your oversize pulley from speeding up my supercharger? I know that my MAF is already in a revised location from the older models. My other questions is.....what do you mean by "modify my pulley"? What exactly are they going to do to it and will I be able to reverse these "modifications" if I don't like the result. I figure that you know best since it seems as if you are a Rep for ASP. Please take a moment to email me at my above address to tell me what yu were afraid to post on the forum. It's not really fair to come out with a baited statement like that and then not finish the conversation. I'll never be accused of not speaking my mind and I hope that you are also a man that has the courage to do so...even if you'd rather keep it private.........

G

·
Bruce R. said:
Bruce R. said:
Due to the clutch on the older cars, you can't really undersize the driven pulley.
I hope you can back that comment up with some facts Linh, oterwise it tends to prove you really don't know what you're talking about...

I don't really know what I'm talking about.......LOL? Relaxed man, we all don't know everything. I'll have no problem backing it up but i just wonder why you give advice to others, info you pulled "out from the sky"? Dynospotracing used to located in the Bay area but now moved to San Jose.

G

·
Jeff Kushner said:
1)Linh, Why won't your kit fit my car?

2)What are the differences that would prevent your oversize pulley from speeding up my supercharger?

3) I know that my MAF is already in a revised location from the older models. My other questions is.....what do you mean by "modify my pulley"?

4) What exactly are they going to do to it and will I be able to reverse these "modifications" if I don't like the result.

5) I figure that you know best since it seems as if you are a Rep for ASP.

6) Please take a moment to email me at my above address to tell me what yu were afraid to post on the forum.

7)It's not really fair to come out with a baited statement like that and then not finish the conversation. I'll never be accused of not speaking my mind and I hope that you are also a man that has the courage to do so...even if you'd rather keep it private.........

Jeff,

1,2,3,4) Sorry i don't have time right now but i'll get back to you. I promised

5)I not just a Rep, i help design the pulley with ASP and single handed put the kit together, tested and tuned the kit.

6) I got "warning" before for speaking of the true about a products that one of out sponsor sell.

7) I understand but i still can't do it for reason #6

G

·
Jeff Kushner said:
1)Linh, Why won't your kit fit my car? What are the differences that would prevent your oversize pulley from speeding up my supercharger?

2) My other questions is.....what do you mean by "modify my pulley"? What exactly are they going to do to it.

3)Will I be able to reverse these "modifications" if I don't like the result.......

1) The post-2000 pulley shaft is about 5mm shorter then the pre-2000 pulley. It would cause totally mis-alignment on the belt. The post-2000 fuel injection system are also difference. The post-2000 has the returnless system and that why you don't need the fuel pressure regulator. The post-2000 fuel system and ECU are much more advance then the pre-2000 and that why it able to correct the air fuel ratio on it own. Btw, the post-2000 ECU even give you the option to change the "fuel stages" and "timing setting" to 3 differences stages for both. We try it but it didn't work at all on 91 octane gas. We actually lose hp power big time !!

2) We decided to used the factory pulley because of the "damper" and modified the outer pulley (the side that spin the sc) bigger to spin the sc faster.

3) No and that why we allow you 30 days to decided if you want to keep your old pulley and pay the $300 extra. Btw, we don't modify your orignal pulley for you. We send you a modified pulley and exchange for your orignal un-modify factory pulley.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
linh said:
Bruce R. said:
Bruce R. said:

I don't really know what I'm talking about.......LOL? Relaxed man, we all don't know everything. I'll have no problem backing it up but i just wonder why you give advice to others, info you pulled "out from the sky"? Dynospotracing used to located in the Bay area but now moved to San Jose.
Again more talk and no substance. The advise I give to others comes from close to fifty years of hands on experiance. I doubt that anyone would call that "pulling that out of the sky" except of course for you.

5)I not just a Rep, i help design the pulley with ASP and single handed put the kit together, tested and tuned the kit.

Isn't that taking an awful lot of credit for something you didn' really do? I will give you the credit for the idea, but not the result. You wouldn't know how to do the calculations, nor do you have the experiance or money to do the back up test work. ASP did all that work and and you know it. Linh you are a fraud, and thankfully, most on this board know that.

G

·
Bruce R. said:
You wouldn't know how to do the calculations, nor do you have the experiance or money to do the back up test work. ASP did all that work and and you know it. Linh you are a fraud, and thankfully, most on this board know that.

You are make yourself look like a child........ you really need to act your age, i'm serious!!!

"I'm a fraud and thankfully, most on this board know that..........?" Please speak up who ever they are.

ASP did all the work? That's funny......ASP don't even know what included in the kit and what each part does. Every person that called him wanting to buy the pre-2000 pulley kit get referred directly back to me. I wonder why? Damn, this is a wate of my times again.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
So Linh, you've had your fun, you've blown smoke up everyone's butt again, and you've called me names, but you still haven't answered the question.....
How are you going to go to a smaller sized pulley on the blower of older SLK engines?
Come one smart guy now is the time to show how smart you are. By the way we're still waiting for that dissertation on brakes that was asked for 6 months ago.

G

·
Bruce R. said:
How are you going to go to a smaller sized pulley on the blower of older SLK engines?

Here's dude !!! I'm don't have time for you. I need all the times i can get to answer all the e-mail regarding my pulley. I done with you on these matter. Check it out for yourself. www.dynospotracing.com

Bruce R. said:
On the other hand you can with the newer cars because they are always engaged anyway.

Btw, this is also WRONG !!!

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
"Here's dude !!! I'm don't have time for you. I need all the times i can get to answer all the e-mail regarding my pulley. I done with you on these matter. Check it out for yourself."
So, you don't know do you, I didn't think so. Here let me give you a clue as to what you really DON'T know.
The Eaton blower that's on the early cars was NEVER designed to run 100% of the time. It's noisy and the bearings weren't designed to take the load that a 100% duty cycle would entail and still give the life that Mercedes required. The newer blowers have rubber cushioned bearings, and I believe they are bigger as well. That gives them better alignment and a much longer life span. If you put a smaller pulley on the early blower you not only spin the blower faster, you have to increase the belt tension to compensate for the smaller friction area on the wheel. Both of those will shorten the bearing life span.
Dynospot doesn't give a rats butt how long your blower will last, and if your into serious racing you don't either, but Joe average does care, replacements for these blowers don't come cheap.
Damn you are a smoke blowing moron...........

G

·
Bruce R. said:
1)Due to the clutch on the older cars, you can't really undersize the driven pulley.

2)On the other hand you can with the newer cars because they are always engaged anyway..

Dude, now that i got your proof, don't even try to changed what you said. You said that it CAN'T be done due to the "CLUTCH" on the pre-2000 and but you can do it on the "NEWER CARS". Both statement are WRONG !!!!!!!!!!! Like i said, you just pulled your info out of the sky !! CASE REST !!!

Btw, I can also explain to you why you can't make the sc pulley smaller to run more boost on the newer car (post-2000), just ask me. It nothing wrong learn a few things from a kid.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.