Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 230
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of the SLK plexi WindBlox on Ebay. Just installed it and I think its great. The product fits well and attaches easily with straps that have velcro. $71.00 was a heck of deal vs. the $350.00 Porsche wanted for my Boxster. To me it looks just as good as the factory units. I bought the storage case for it, but I don't think that was worth another $15.00. The one's in the guys picture showed metal fasteners, but I like the velcro ones he sent a lot better. The guy offers tinted versions as well for folks in real sunny areas.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
and only yesterday guys in other thread were laughing at me for using it ;)

It's actually not a bad unit -big improvement over stock and it doesn't cost arm and leg.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
slknow - 4/15/2005 10:14 AM

Is there really any difference between plexiglass windscreens?
I only have the stock net screen, but...I did look at several models for the wife. Jerry has the WSA-4000 and WSA-3000 which are plexiglass and curve to the rear which reduces reflections at night. The 4000 includes the space behind the roll bar at the cost of a little seat travel. They are at F O R M Y M E R C E D E S .com. The one on ebay is a lot cheaper but has the tacky (IMO) velcro straps: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7968198711&category=42612&sspagename=WDVW. I also wonder if it won't leave a mark where it rests on the car. I like the wind in my hair most of the time and just use the factory net on road trips.

·
Registered
'98 SLK230, 2007 Black E63 AMG
189 Posts
16falcon - 4/15/2005 11:52 AM

slknow - 4/15/2005 10:14 AM

Is there really any difference between plexiglass windscreens?
I only have the stock net screen, but...I did look at several models for the wife. Jerry has the WSA-4000 and WSA-3000 which are plexiglass and curve to the rear which reduces reflections at night. The 4000 includes the space behind the roll bar at the cost of a little seat travel. They are at F O R M Y M E R C E D E S .com. The one on ebay is a lot cheaper but has the tacky (IMO) velcro straps: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7968198711&category=42612&sspagename=WDVW. I also wonder if it won't leave a mark where it rests on the car. I like the wind in my hair most of the time and just use the factory net on road trips.
Wow, those velcro straps look terrible.
Go for the one from Jerry. I have the 3000 I think... It works great.

PT

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
iku - 4/15/2005 1:51 PM

wats the difference between wsa-2000, 3000 and 4000?!, i dont see a difference
"The WSA-2000 Windscreen is designed to contour the shape of the OEM and "U" shape bars, whereas the WSA-4000 Windscreen is designed specifically for the "V" shaped bars only."

"The WSA 3000 Windscreen was developed to accomodate drivers who wish to utilize the entire seat travel available on the SLK. (Tall Drivers) This "center panel" windscreen does a good job of limiting excessive cabin turbulence and noise as an effective wind blocker. It is an attractive addition to any SLK whether it has "Factory", "V", or "U" Shape roll bars."

The WSA 3000 does not have any plexiglass in front of the roll bars, the plexiglass is only in the "center" between the roll bars.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG
1,219 Posts
slknow - 4/15/2005 3:30 PM

Every windscreen performs the sameway. $70 or $300, they both do the same.
True, but they don't look the same and that matters a lot to some of us. Also some models may have more reflections at night from both the instrument cluster and other traffic. Just some things to be aware of if you are planning on installing one (I'm not).

·
Registered
C220 CDI T A & A200 CDI A
263 Posts
16falcon - 4/15/2005 6:02 PM

...some models may have more reflections at night from both the instrument cluster and other traffic...
I have the WSA-2000 in my car, and my experience of it is just great! The turbulence is minimal. It is possible to speak in the phone using hands-free car kit in speeds up to 60 mph. And the reflections are close to zero. Sometimes, when the sun is shining low from your 2 o'clock, and you check the blind spot on your right, you notice that a little glare, but that's pretty much it. I think the WSA is worth of every buck. And it does look nice... ...in my opinnion: http://www.iki.fi/eerola/auto/MBSLK230K-6.html

·
Registered
2000 SLK
20 Posts
I have the WSA 2000 also. I had a 6" round Mercedes logo put in the center that is made to look like etched glass. The logo is thin enough that it doesn't interfere with viewing through the rearview mirror. I also added a "light tape" across the bottom of the windscreen that is 3/8" wide.(applied with clear tape) My car is "firemist red" so I used red "light tape"(multiple colors are available). At night the light tape projects the red light up through the windscreen and the only areas that show the light are the round Mercedes logo and around the edges. The plexiglass transmits the light through its length without illuminating anything except the logo and around the edges. The light rope does not put out high lumens so it isn't distracting while driving at night. It is subtle yet noticeable.It looks cool,or so i've been told and the light tape only costs about $25.00 and is powered by 12 volts. It can be hardwired and has a very long service life. I have it installed in the Cig. lighter right now until I find a color of light tape that I really like. It comes with a Cig lighter hookup. It also has a quick disconnect spot in the wire so you can remove the WSA 2000 easily for cleaning if you hardwire it. If anyone is interested you can just search using "light tape" and you should get multiple choices.
Vince D

·
Registered
2000 SLK
20 Posts
I got the etched logo pre-installed from where I purchased it "F O R M Y M E R C E D E S .com" I have attached a picture from my camera phone.
I don't have aproper camera to take a picture at night with the WSA 2000 illuminated. You'll have to take my word for it as to how it looks.

Attachments

·
Registered
'04 SLK 32 AMG
101 Posts
Sweet vance, looks great. You've got me seriously considering doing what you did (sorry to steal your idea, but I'm in AL... so it's not like anyone will notice).

·
Registered
151 Posts
I also got the WSA2000 wind blocker from .com although I don't have any etching or logos. It's a really great deal. It's probably just as effective as other accrylic sheets, but the angle is a great idea as I don't get reflections in the mirror. 3+ years now and I've no really noticable crazing or hazing.... I highly recommend it...

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Vance - 4/15/2005 10:38 PM

I have the WSA 2000 also. I had a 6" round Mercedes logo put in the center that is made to look like etched glass. The logo is thin enough that it doesn't interfere with viewing through the rearview mirror. I also added a "light tape" across the bottom of the windscreen that is 3/8" wide.(applied with clear tape) My car is "firemist red" so I used red "light tape"(multiple colors are available).
Wow very nice idea ! Greadt job !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Illuminated Laser etched Wind Restrictor, wind blocker, windscreen

I got mine off a guy that I found on Ebay, he also has a web site www.windrestrictor.com he has been saleing these for over 4 years now, I have bought 2 of them for my SLK 170. The illumination is very cool and once installed it cam activate with your fog lamps or hook up to a lighter plug. Lots of etching options, EXTREEMLY high quality, the center is bent back so it wont reflect light from your rear view most of these glass windscreens dont offer this feature. I bought 2 others before finding these and I was not happy with the quality at all. I dont want to put something that looks cheap or tacky on my Benz and this "Wind Restrictor" is just amazing! I love it.

http://www.windrestrictor.com/SLK170_Home.html
They also do one for the new 171 SLK

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts