Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey members....wanted to drop a post here in regards to tint.

Firstly, not sure if it's just me, but does anyone else think they notice a bit of factory tint already on the 05 slk windows? Not dark...not the blue tint that some other models have come out of factory with but it does seem to me, even if slightly, that the windows have some sort of darkened hue to them. Anyone?

Secondly, prior to this beast of a machine, I had an 02 c230 kompressor. I had the entire car tinted, from that point on, my radio did not work. Nothing but static and I wasn't removing my tint for anything. I delt with it as I listen to my own cd's mostly anyhow.

Turned out, a pal of mine, who has a tint shop, had said that other c230's were coming into the shop and stating the same issue. All in all it turned out to be that the particular tint that was used on the cars had some metals in it, which was interjecting with the radios performance. The c230's, I should mention, had no attenea like the slk as it was traced along the back hatch's window. So, now they have started to use particular tints with no metals but made of all ceramics. This has fixed the problem.

I am very hesitant to tint my windows as I don't want to run into any issues like the last car. I doubt I will as I noticed a member here had his/hers tinted rather dark and I can't say i read anything saying that there was a drawback to having done so.

Lastly...again with my old 02 c 230 kompressor...once it was tinted, the windows tint would get scrated up in a day because of this metal piece within the doors panel. My tinting friend also said that some of her clients had returned complaining about the same irrtating issue. They have from then on started using some produced felt item to put between the metal portion within the panel and they have had no problems with the c230s tinted windows.

So....

Has anyone had their windows tined and noticed they are getting scratched up?

Maybe you can post some pics of your tint? What kind you used? If it has metals? if it has interjected with the radio by any chance?

Were there any isues with the back glass getting tinted and also with the small side wondows....as they are a big concern of mine if and when I get the car done.

Thanks for your help and I'm sorry this post was totally long winded!

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
I think if you do a "Search" on this forum for window tint you will find that their have been many previous discussions on this subject.

Yes, I think the windows already have a slight tint. If you decide to tint, you might consider Huper Optic Ceramic tint which does not contain any metal.

As noted in previous posts, installing moleskin or felt on the rollers in the doors will prevent scratching of the tint over the long run. Most tint installers on MB seem to be aware of this, at least where I live.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Malibu, thank you....

I will search up this forum for tint and see what happens.

I was either going to go with the huper film (ceramic tint) or go with the madico charcool tint which was also reported not to give any issues. Although, the anteenea is on the side of the car and not on the window, I don't think tint will have anything to do with the function of the radio this time around in THIS car.

As for the scratching...my titning friend does not live near me even though she has so graciously let me know about placing the felt in the door panels. The folks we use to tint, that I know of, have not or do not use the felt to prevent scratching on the installed tint. Maybe I will suggest it or drive far if I have to get the tint on.

I don't mind tinting the car but tinting the car and then having to deal with tinted windows like my old benz had, I would go nuts!

Thanks for ur response...

·
Registered
SLK 350 AMG
128 Posts
using this name - 4/25/2005 10:55 AM

Firstly, not sure if it's just me, but does anyone else think they notice a bit of factory tint already on the 05 slk windows?
You'll probably find most cars have some degree of factory tint. Practically useless for stopping UV.

How do you get away with tinting in NY? I see the law there says that absolutely NO tinting is allowed on the front side windows. Only replacement glass that is tinted is allowed - if, and only if the original windows were tinted as well." (minimum 70% light transmission). $91 fine if pulled over.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hey essllkay

well, we have a few ways of swigning around things here in NY! We never burn bridges if you know what I mean.

I'm lucky enough that I have a few friends who work for the force, so it's usually pull over and get right back to driving.

Last time.....a few months back, I was speeding, and while I was pulled over for speeding he decided to give me tint tickets as well, FOR EACH WINDOW!!!!

It's a risk to take, but almost every NY'er takes it! haha, not that that makes it right by any means.

UPDATE

I spoke with the rep in texas from huperfilm and she directed me to this man who will lead me to a dealer/installer of the huperoptic ceramic for my car.

My friend who deals with huper is 3000 miles away or else Id go tomorrow morning! She is sending me samples of the 30 and 40 %'s of the huper ceramic tomorrow. So I can see which I like.

She has also told me 1, to only let a real genuine tried and true huper installer install the tint to play it safe and 2, she said that even the darkest of the huper ceramic is not jet black/blacked out....so I'll probably have less of a chance of getting my chains rattled.

Anyone have pics of their tint to show....I'd love to be able to see some of the huper up close on your cars....

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
using this name - 4/25/2005 5:18 PM

Anyone have pics of their tint to show....I'd love to be able to see some of the huper up close on your cars....
Check out Sergiomiami's Huper optic. He thinks it is the darkest tint they have.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1195010&posts=12&hl=huper+optic

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Malibu, thank you.....when yoo told me to do a search in this forum I had stumbled upon that pic. Very nice job......car looks great.

I actually got in touch with the distributor in NY and I have a contact with an installer who I have yet to call.

I will call later maybe and try to get a price and see when we can do this. The distributor also said that 2 weeks for the windows not to go down is no rumor.....it is really what they suggest.

the windows go down a teenie tiny bit when the doors open and what not, I wonder if that has any problems ya know?

Not sure if I'll go with 30 or 40 %....but I know that I won't be doing the windshield at all.....

Now I think we need to start a huperoptic on slk thread, for the good of the slk'ing community![:eek:)]

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a quote after getting in touch with the tint master!

Quote was 450. No felt needed for all the sl's and slk's he's done and he has done a great deal of them he said. He said even if I wanted to do it as a precaution, he said why open up the panel doors if you don't NEED to on this car.

He also said that everything is covered and if it does wind up scratching that he himself will redo it, install felt at no charge. They back their work up and he works exclusively with porsche, audi, bmw and mercedes dealerships and has also done some sidejobs on the side as well as I would imagine.

So....I think I'm going to go with the 40% as I need not get my chains busted having it too dark living in NY.

He said all I need to do is call him a couple of days prior to the car coming in and that he would need about half a day for it. He would do the front windows first, so that they have more time to dry and allow the windoews tint to be decently sealed because the slk windows go up and down a bit when the door opens.

So, I'm pretty excited, although I'm not sure when I can schedule this to be done. I'll keep you guys posted for sure.....thanks again for all of your help.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
using this name - 4/27/2005 11:03 AM

Got a quote after getting in touch with the tint master!

Quote was 450. No felt needed for all the sl's and slk's he's done and he has done a great deal of them he said. He said even if I wanted to do it as a precaution, he said why open up the panel doors if you don't NEED to on this car.

He also said that everything is covered and if it does wind up scratching that he himself will redo it, install felt at no charge. They back their work up and he works exclusively with porsche, audi, bmw and mercedes dealerships and has also done some sidejobs on the side as well as I would imagine.

So....I think I'm going to go with the 40% as I need not get my chains busted having it too dark living in NY.

He said all I need to do is call him a couple of days prior to the car coming in and that he would need about half a day for it. He would do the front windows first, so that they have more time to dry and allow the windoews tint to be decently sealed because the slk windows go up and down a bit when the door opens.

So, I'm pretty excited, although I'm not sure when I can schedule this to be done. I'll keep you guys posted for sure.....thanks again for all of your help.
Post some pictures when you get it done as I am thinking of having the 40% Huper done. The guy I want to do it as about 2 hours away or more (at least as LA traffic goes) so have to plan accordingly.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to plan accordingly as well.....as I won't have my car all day but I'll have to work, run and take care of some things and so on.

I'll see if someone can follow me and bring me back to work or something....as for the % I think I'm going to go with 40 as well. I promise I'll post pics, although at this point, I haven't even made the appointment yet.

I wonder if I can get an appointment in on Saturday morning, that would be sweetness, I think I'll call and inquire if he can squeeze me in!

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just wanted to let you guys know that I have tint appointment tomorow.

huper, 40%......

so I'll be sure to post pics when it's done. I'm nervous! Watch me get pulled over dirivng the car back home!

grrrrr someone in the work parking lot had an slk![:(!]

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
using this name - 5/6/2005 7:55 AM

huper, 40%......

so I'll be sure to post pics when it's done. I'm nervous! Watch me get pulled over dirivng the car back home!

40% on sides and back?

Are you having the windshield done also?

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
malibuite - 5/6/2005 10:50 AM

40% on sides and back?

Are you having the windshield done also?
Do you mean the "eyebrow" effect (across the top of the windshield)? I've never cared for that. Too abrupt of a transistion when viewed from the outside.

Or do you really mean the whole windshield? No one legitimate will do that. You absolutely can't have anything over the vision portion of the windshield. You will get ticketed for sure, besides your insurance company might have something to say about it, if you were at fault in an accident.

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just the side windows and the rear windows....the two larger main side windows and then the smaller ones behind them alkong with the back glass.

Nothing going on the windshield, I hate that myself...I hear you.

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
using this name - 5/6/2005 7:55 AM

huper, 40%......

Did you get the tint? Pictures please [8D]

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
lol, hey malibu..yes got the tint. Will take pics in a few minutes and be sure to post them for you later....

There are a whole bunch of water bubbles on the drivers side.....but these have been said to go away by the tinter himself as well as the huperoptic folks. So we'll see about this. I'll give it a few weeks at a minimum.

I see a sort of folded, pleated maybe scratch, but I'm not sure as the job is so newly done. He backs everything up and will redo it in a heartbeat if I'm not 100% cool with it. So, I got a good guy over here and he has been nothing but helpful and would do what it takes to make a good name for the huper optic.

Pics to come......it's pretty warm and having the AC on is killin me!!!!!

Anyone else out there.....about how long did you wind up waiting before you put the windows down and what not? I got mine done on the 7th of may in the evening......I know for a minimum of 3 days the windows shouldn't really move, so....

I just don't want to jump the gun too soon and put the windows down or the top down too soon.

he said the bubbles would go away...as it's just water from varying pressure to the film while applying it....and that while they may or may not go away quickly, they themselves can take weeks to disapate. My driveers side looks like it has the measels!!! How ever you spell that!

I sure hope everything works out ok....I wish some more folks would post some more in depth details about how theirs went.....pics commin in a while, thanks for reminding me maliboo!

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
The 40% looks really good!

Yes, I have heard about the bubbles and they do go away with time. Most people, with Huper, wait at least 3 and sometimes 5-7 days before putting the windows down. I would go with what your installer said as he seems to know what he is talking about.

I am going to get the Huper 40% sometime in June. Let me know if you have any problems or advice. Did your installer mention anything about the felt pads in the doors?

·
Registered
2005 SLK 350
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ahhh thanks maliboo! Good times. I'm not happy with it just YET.....after these bubbles go away I'll feel better. The car looks like it got a horrid tint job and I am just leaving it there. You can see it from a decent amount of space away from the car even, driving next to people is sort of making me red in the face too......looks like a corny tint job on a teens car!!!!! lol, and I mean that in the best of ways since I'm a youngin myself!

Actually, how could I have forgotten to mention about the felt...

Glad you brought that up here...in fact, i did speak of it with him, as he works for mercedes here in ny and does all of their tint.

he said that the sl's and the slk's do not need the felt and why bother opening up the door if it doesn't need to be opened.

if in the future it does seem to get scratched via the doors columns.....it would get replaced free of charge and would get the felt installed ontop of that.

So, I've read here that a folk or two have had the huper on with no felt installed and they too, have said that they have no problems at all with any scratching, although I'm not sure how their overall job/installation had gone.

I'll be sure to let you know once saturday comes around.....I'm going to give it 7 days to roll the windows down....you agree that should be fine right? he also put little reminder stickers on all the buttons of my car that say do not roll the windows down for 5 days......

Hit me back Maliboo [:)]

1 - 20 of 29 Posts